Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 3 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

With many mangaka, just because you like one series they produce doesn’t mean you’ll like others. I think a perfect example of this is Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba!&. There’s a big difference between the two series, as they seem to target very different audiences. (There will of course be overlap of people who like both.)

Yamamoto, on the other hand, writes many series that are very similar in structure and material (without having much overlap of content, excluding spinoffs).

Looking at series from Yamamoto:

• あしたは土曜日: If you enjoy reading Takagi, and you like the characters Yukari, Mina, and Sanae, you probably want to check this series out. Its chapters are very short, so you can easily fit reading a chapter as a treat between reading other things.

• からかい上手の高木さん: This is what you’re reading :wink:

• からかい上手の(元)高木さん: A spinoff of the main Takagi series, centered on Nishikata and Tagaki as married adults, alongside their young daughter. Follows very similar beats to the Takagi series. Another mangaka does this one. I don’t know how much input Yamamoto has in the writing of each chapter.

• くノ一ツバキの胸の内: This story deviates from Yamamoto’s other works by being a bit more story-based (for a slice-of-life type series) and by focusing heavily on a large cast of characters. I’m enjoying it, but some of the outfits are more than a bit iffy.

• それでも歩は寄せてくる: This one’s my favorite series by the author. It has similar story beats to the Takagi series, but with a bit of role reversal. We have a book club for this series as well.

• ふだつきのキョーコちゃん: I found this one starts out a bit slow and the characters don’t get fleshed out as much as I felt they could have been. That said, I enjoyed it overall, and I’ve nominated it as a potential pick to vote on in the next Absolute Beginner Book Club poll. It differs from the author’s other works by having a clear progression of events across chapters without feeling like it’s repeatedly doing the same thing over and over.

• 怪獣のトカゲ: A spinoff of one of Yamamoto’s one-off stories. It’s done by a different mangaka. I don’t care for the concept and characters of this series, so I can’t really comment on it.

• 恋に恋するユカリちゃん: Another Takagi spin-off, also done by another mangaka. This one focuses on Yukari, Mina, and Sanae, but whereas あしたは土曜日 has brief events, this has full chapters. Same as for that series, if you’re interested in the trio, you’ll probably like this one. There’s often an overlap between Takagi chapters, as we see many of the same events from Yukari’s perspective.

I’ve enjoyed all of these except for 怪獣のトカゲ.

6 Likes