Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 2 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

Ohh I hadn’t thought of that angle, great.

hmm given that we only have a single thread for all chapters will it be confusing if I keep posting breakdowns for chapter 10 while others have started chapter 11?

NB: The vocab sheet has a typo as it mentioned 上げる for page 9 but I think my copy only has 上がる, I’ve added a note but wanted someone else to double check.

Chapter 10 from Volume 2, Page 9.

10.9.2 高木
ねぇ 賭[かけ]しよっか
“Well, let’s place a bet?”
賭[かけ] bet, wager
しよっか let’s, volitional to do

10.9.2 西方
賭[かけ]?
“(a) bet?”

10.9.3 高木?
5時の町内[ちょうない]チャイムが鳴るまでに雨が上がるか上がらないか…
“(the bet will be whether) it will have stopped raining or not by the time of the 5’oclock neighbourhood chime (bell)”
町内[ちょうない] neighbourhood
チャイム chime
鳴る to ring
まで until
に at (time or place), in
雨が上がる to stop raining
か I think this is an or
上がらない to not stop (raining)
か not confident on the function of this, could be asking if that bet is a good plan?

10.9.3 高木?
負けた方は言うことをなんでも聞くっての。
“The losing side will do whatever (someone) says”
Being a bit fast and loose with this one, I immediately got roughly this meaning, but not 100% on the finer details, this is very similar to a previous chapter from volume 1.
負ける to lose
負けた方 the side that loses
言うこと thing that is said
なんでも whatever, anything and everything
聞く to ask, to listen
って a は particle in a fancy suit, or a quotation, unsure
の magical particle dust?

10.9.4 西方
いいよ、じゃあオレは雨が上がらない方で。
“Fine, well then, as for me, (I’ll take) the side for it won’t stop raining (by the 5pm …)”

10.9.5 高木
ん、じゃあ私は上がる方。
“Yes, well then, as for me (ill take) the side that it has stopped raining”

I found this page very interesting as it looked very complex, and initially I had trouble making a start with it, but once I pushed through that and got the ball rolling pieces started to fall into place much easier than I would have expected. Not to say it was easy, just easier than impossible =p

6 Likes