Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 2 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

Off topic

Perhaps my best suggestion would be something like Flying Witch? It’s fairly easy (the main character tends to use です/ます rather than lots of gnarly casual contractions), but the scenarios are a bit more varied (and you get some stuff about magic). It’s fairly relaxed, not much action and the comedy is less exaggerated than here, but it’s a pleasant time

Other than that my other suggestion is just to look for other manga with furigana and try a sample of them and see how they are and pick one that feels manageable to read. Looking at the freebies thread can be very useful for this since you can just grab a whole volume for free

4 Likes

Excellent choice =D

Sorry to be a pain, could you please put your post’s images and translations inside a spoiler tag.

Edit: thanks!

4 Likes

No

hehe (couldn’t resist)…

on the upside started vol3…really wish I was fluent so I could read through everything at the same speed as I could with English :slight_smile:

sadness… :frowning:

3 Likes

Strangely this was exactly my impression too, but I can’t put my finger on it. It may just be the different art that’s been skewing my perception, who knows.

Takagi looked certainly harder to like in that early version. It makes Nishikata’s surprise at her maybe being a nice person after all much more believable. The Takagi we know may have been teasing him relentlessly, but she looked cute and harmless from the start. This older Takagi, I wouldn’t trust her at all. She seems like she could easily take a joke too far.

And that’s Volume 2 done! It definitely flew by this time. I’ve enjoyed it a lot, but I think I have had my fill of adolescent flirting for now, so I don’t think I will be joining you for Volume 3. Have fun with the next volume, everyone!

7 Likes

yeah ahead!!! Finished reading the first chap of vol3… so I won’t be behind during the vacation! And I made a copy of the sheet in my personal so if I do depending on what we do… if I’m just sitting under a tree … can work offline and upload the info later…

I am really enjoying these because they don’t kill me with difficulty (only vocab I don’t usually know)…sometimes stuff still trips me up…but these are enjoyable!

西方くん。。。。かわいそうだな。。。

5 Likes

If it becomes too easy that you read each week’s chapter too quickly, don’t forget about the author’s other series that has an ongoing book club here :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah might already own those :joy:… Actually was debating about what I should take with me camping…

Ordered a bunch of the past beginner book club books… Might take レンタルお兄ちゃん。。。 Saved that vocab for offline use also… BTW thanks for making that vocab sheet as well.

off topic

Really want something that isn’t difficult and can just enjoy while sitting under a tree relaxing in the mountains… No internet no phone… Ahhhh!! Quiet… But heaven forbid I can’t find something in the paper dictionary or my non internet connected phone… Eek…

Have pretty much stopped bothering with the beginner book club book, that current one while sometimes interesting is just brutal for me… I’m not smart enough yet…

I do have all the volumes of 不思議猫ちゃん。 Those are really easy… Actually can get through those faster now…

(all while trying not to freeze to death at night hehe)… Just learned the word ヒートテック tonight…

So many books so little time… If only I could win the lottery, quit working and relax… I know the ultimate oxymoron.

Been awhile since snow camping. Think I’m prepared! Wish I could leave tonight…

4 Likes
Following the off-topic

If you do, I recommend allowing yourself to tolerate ambiguity. Some things might not be immediately clear, but may begin to make sense after reading further into it.

It’d be nice if there was some easy way to convert the book club threads into downloadable, searchable files…

I’ve been doing lots of manga-reading since 2019, and even with that background I dropped out of the current BBC after finishing the first story.

Every few months I seem to give non-manga reading another try, and sometimes it goes better than others. But I think I’ll stick with modern stories for the time being!

If it makes you feel better, most people who win big in the lottery tend to squander it, run out of money, and end up worse off than whey they started. Seen that way, you’re probably doing okay =D

4 Likes
we really should have an off topic thread hehe.. Giving me ideas... Maybe tonight I'll make one....

As an engineer this is really really really hard!!! Depends on what it is… Will see how it goes… Sometimes when I read something it’s like huh?. Then putting it down an hour later something will pop into my head… Magic how the brain works.

Right now the thing that is eating my lunch are the insanely long sentences… Lose track of who what when where eeek!

Also thought about this… Saving as web pages or searchable pdfs… but kind of a royal pain… Probably won’t bother this time around. More importantly need to put all the books in proper covers before heading outside!

Thanks… Makes me feel better about finishing the second one then! I was talking with some native speakers I talk with weekly and they were like this is not a beginners book… Lol…

Sometimes I wonder as the level 60 folks keep recommending books that aren’t always for beginners… Might be easier for them but not for someone beginner level… But what’s do I know… I’m lame :wink:

I actually do have GJBu which I was doing until the beginner book… It’s actually pretty easy to parse and you’d probably find it a good book (if it held your interest) for reading light novels… Each story short about 4 pages… Anyway… That’s a different topic. Will probably bring this with me as well.

True… And I’m generally not that lucky… I’m lucky in other ways hard to explain… Little things… But as an engineer and someone that had been through growing up not well off and working hard for everything… Have a very specific plan if on the off chance I ever win… First plan… Not to buy anything big like a house and cars… Nope more Japanese books… :grin::grin::grin:. Jk…

4 Likes

ok here goes…

Teasing Master Takagi-san / Off-Topic Area - Campfire - WaniKani Community

3 Likes

Announcement to absolutely no one
Ready to invade this topic from tomorrow :man_dancing:t2:

7 Likes

congrats on finishing your first manga!!!

4 Likes

I’n currently reading the bonus chapter, so not yet but before tomorrow evening I’ll be there!
Thanks a lot :laughing: feels good!

5 Likes

Here we go

Note: chapter.page.panel.speech bubble (if there’s only one bubble, I’ll leave this out)

近くに→shortly, soon (adverb)
雨宿りできる→can shelter from rain
場所→location, place, spot
あってよかった→てよかった grammar point: glad there was
近くに雨宿りできる場所が→not sure how this is translated, I think “place that made (subject) able/ allowed to get shelter from rain…?

“ (I) was glad that there was a place that made (us) able to shelter from rain “

4 Likes

I think you’ve mostly got the meaning, but a couple things I would change:

First, I think this actually 近く as the noun meaning like “near; vicinity; nearby” and the location particle に, as opposed to it being adverbial and meaning “soon; shortly.”

Second, I think I would imagine a が subject in the noun modifying phrase, something like 私たちが. The “made us able to” phrasing doesn’t quite sound right to me, since the grammar construct for being made to do something in Japanese isn’t there, so if you imagine that 私たちが, it’s easier to see the interpretation of, “We could take shelter from the rain.”

With that in mind, the first part of the phrase, including the 場所 it is modifying, then becomes “A place where we could take shelter from the rain nearby.”

Overall interpretation, in natural English:

“Thank goodness (てよかった) there was a place where would take shelter from the rain nearby.”

4 Likes

I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out if it was the adverbial noun or the adverb, also googled how to distinguish them and din’t find nothing… I was sure I got it wrong :joy: is there any way to know? If I look at the ある verb now I can sense something but I don’t know

Sounds great! I also noticed that I totally forgot to put 近くに in the translation :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s context, primarily. Using it as the adverb just didn’t make sense to me, because it was part of a phrase that was modifying a place. The “soon; shortly” meaning would tie more into a time situation.

I also would link this to the first part of the phrase, not so much the ある.

To break it down, and make it more literal, focusing on the (私たちが)近くに雨宿りできる:

近くに = “~nearby; ~in the vicinity”

雨宿りできる = “to be able to shelter from the rain”

“In the vicinity, we are able to shelter from the rain.”

Then you can add the noun it modifies:

“A place where, in the vicinity, we are able to shelter from the rain.”

But that’s not how we would phrase it in English. It becomes more natural when worded:

“A place where we are able to shelter from rain nearby (which is interchangeable with in the vicinity, and is more common).”

(The tense change comes from when it is attached to the よかった later on becoming “could” instead of “can/are able”)

3 Likes

Now that I think of it this way… it becomes so clear… if time related context, it’s interpreted as shortly, soon, otherwise it’s the other one (vicinity, near, spacial)

Hmm in this translation I would see good the ‘soon’ version too tho, as for ‘we soon (quickly, soon after it had started raining) found a shelter
Maybe I’m just confusing with english translation…? Or I’m just missing something again?
Or even, is there the possibility that it’s one of those instances where it doesn’t matter because it it was wanted to specify wether it was ‘soon’ or ‘near’, the sentence could have been arranged differently?
Actually, maybe I answered myself since instead of 近くに it could be used something more suitable to express ‘quickly’

1 Like

I mean, I could see the “shortly” meaning, but there is a different between shortly and quickly in English, I feel. They are similar, but not the same. 早く or 速く would be closer for that intended meaning. But as you say, it doesn’t especially matter how you look at it here.

1 Like
ch1.pg9.pn3.sb2

This was easier than I thought, I also managed to somehow remember @MrGeneric explanation from one of the first chapters of volume 1 on the same instance (your rants are working :wink:)
負けた方は→as for the side of who lost
言うコトをなんでも→everything that is said
聞く→obey

Question. What is っての? It’s the only thing I couldn’t get (given that I got the rest :sweat_smile:)

Begun slow but surfin it now

Only doubt here is, what is いかん?
I read on stackexchange that it could be a variation of いけない (cannot go)… is this the case?

What this sentence means is clear but I’m nit sure about 雨宿りしに. Since 雨宿り is also a ~する verb, could this be する in the い-stem し? This way it would become a name, right? So not anymore ‘rain shelter’ (雨宿り) but ‘sheltering from rain’ (as a name).
Is this correct?
I also guess that に is simply marking the target, the goal of the cat for making the action of 来た

Not sure about 着なよ, since 着る (to wear/ put on) is ichidan, it could be 着 + なさい contracted into な…?

Edit: just realized that I completed chapter 1 in less than 2.5 hours :grin:

Wtf is やってらんねぇよ??
First part is like “enough!!” (Limit!!)
And the last part is “ something like なんて study for the test “

3 Likes