Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 2 Discussion Thread

Yeah I definitely think this is a case where the definition in the bilingual dictionary falls short so I went to do some further googling and most results I found seem to agree that 観る in this circumstance is more related to viewing (as in a movie, a vase) while 見る is more simply seeing - though it seems like 見る is commonly used for both meanings anyway

Just to add to this - the entry in Jisho seems to just show 観る as an alternate form without much further explanation

3 Likes

doesn’t mean you will meet with misfortune… keep in mind it’s the experience itself … maybe I shouldn’t have posted that jisho def…didn’t mean that anyone should focus on the misfortune aspect…

if you go to a movie to watch (view) it [notice the translation - “take in”]… you are going to experience it right? in any case…here’s a weblio def if that helps…

迷わしてすみませんでした。

5 Likes

I was just joking around with the meeting with misfortune bit of course :slightly_smiling_face:. Yes, you do experience a movie in a way, it’s just that as far as dictionary definitions go this one was somewhat misleading. Without the example sentence I would never have made the connection. Still, thanks for quoting that and the weblio one, it’s all helpful.

4 Likes

To be fair, there are a number of movies I’ve had to watch that I would describe as “meeting with misfortune.” :wink:

7 Likes

On page 9 西片 says バレてた。The English version of this manga translates it to “She knew”. But I guess that’s more of a contextual translation. Google translates it to “I was out”. I’m guessing it means something like “I was found out” or “I was caught”. I don’t think it’s a borrowed word from English, but maybe from a different language. What do you guys think?

4 Likes

You are correct. This came up in the first volume, as well. It seems that this word is pretty often written in katakana in manga, despite not seeming to be a borrowed word. Katakana is often used for emphasis, the same way we might use bold or italics in English, and I believe that’s where we fell on it – it’s pretty much just marking it more strongly as an exclaimed phrase.

Here is the word on jisho, if you are interested, where they show it in both hiragana and katakana forms.

Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

Edit: And here’s @Jonapedia’s answer from when it came up before as to why it would be written in katakana as opposed to hiragana:

5 Likes

various ways to translate that…literally means nakedness / nothing concealed…
so can say I was exposed / I was found out / I was caught… all should be good :wink:

5 Likes

And I have officially done my final pass of the chapter, now that I had time to properly sit down and read instead of getting pulled away every couple of seconds to deal with this or that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t run into anything this time that tripped me up, personally. I think that I’m starting to just see repeating grammar patterns from the first volume, nothing too out of the norm just yet.

I would definitely describe this manga as a “comfort manga.” It’s just so sweet and chill, with a cute humor that isn’t over the top. I think I mentioned before that when I joined the first book club, I really didn’t expect to like it all that much (I thought the middle school second-hand embarrassment would just not be enjoyable, to be frank), but I really do find joy while reading it. That’s especially becoming the case as I’m having to look up fewer and fewer words (I barely even looked at the vocab sheet for this chapter), and I’m not tripping up on grammar points.

I would like to thank everyone again for participating in these book clubs; I truly feel like I wouldn’t be nearly as far (which, to be clear, isn’t THAT far, but it’s miles ahead of where I used to be) in my learning journey if it weren’t for all the wonderful people here asking and answering questions. This is a much more enjoyable way of learning grammar than just hitting my head against Genki again and again, and hoping it sticks.

As for this chapter, my favorite moment was absolutely the cat coming up and shaking water all over the place. As a pet owner, I know exactly how poor Nishikata feels being drenched because an adorable anime decided to share the love. This panel especially made me laugh. Takagi peering over the bag/binder at Nishikata’s dejected face was just great.

9 Likes

Thank you very much. That’s a much more detailed answer than I had hoped for. I’m going to try to pay attention and see if I can hear it in animes also…

4 Likes

Thank you so much. I appreciate it

4 Likes

I’m feeling similarly with respect to this becoming something of a comfort manga to me now. And likewise I didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I have - I feel like partly it’s that though Takagi teases, there’s often a fairly sweet aspect to a lot of it that makes it more tolerable than just “person teases another person”

Including a cat is an instant win to me - S-tier chapter right away

6 Likes

I finished this volume last night :joy:
Similar to what other people have expressed, it really did end up being a comfort manga. Before reading the first volume I was honestly expecting to just tolerate the typical ‘tease my crush’ story, but I found myself enjoying it and anticipating what would happen to poor Nishikata!

Thank you so much for the people who fill out the vocabulary sheets in book clubs. They were so, so helpful for the first and second native works of literature I read (this was my third!). Now I can try to return the favour :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Seriously the real heroes!

6 Likes

Phraw I managed to finish volume 1 up to end of chapter 7, and am partway through chapter 8, but I wrote out all the lines from chapters 8 & 9 to do later on so I could join back up with the group.

Starting volume 2 now, since I found the line-by-line translations and breakdowns so helpful in the previous threads I thought I’d give it a shot, no promises I can keep it up though.

I won’t always include trivial lines or minor grammar points like ending particles or subject/object markers.

Notation

X.Y.Z means chapter X, chapter page Y, panel Z
ある → て indicates that the verb ある was used in て form

Page 2

いきなり降ってきたねー。
“(The rain) began falling abruptly”
いきなり suddenly, abruptly
降ってきた = 降る → て+ きた
降る to fall (rain)
きた indicates action that had been continuing up until now / came to be

近くに雨宿りできる場所があってよかったねー。
“Thank goodness there was a place to shelter from the rain nearby”
近くに (in) near, close
雨宿り rain shelter
りできる
場所 place, location
あって = ある → て
ある exists (inanimate)
よかった thank goodness

10.2.4 高木
すぐに止むかなー
“I wonder if (the rain) will stop right away?”
すぐに immediately, right away
止む to stop
かな I wonder

Page 3

10.3.1西方 (thought)
なんか透けてるよ高木さん
“Something (…) is showing through!”
なんか something like
透けてる = 透ける → て + いる (contracted)
透ける to be transparent, to show through
Not 100% sure if this should be the transitive 透ける or intransitive 透く

10.3.2 高木
聞いてる?
“(are you) listening to (me) ?”
聞く → て + いる (contracted)

10.3.3 西方 (thought)
平常心だ。動揺してるのがバレたらスケべの烙印を押される。
“Act normal, act normal. Trembling will expose me and have me labelled as a pervert” (unsure)
平常心 normal state of mind
動揺 trembling, shaking, discomfort
してる = する → て + いる (contracted)
のが (never confident) I think this is explanatory/reasoning + が marker ?!?
ばれる to leak out, to be exposed (a secret)
スケベ pervertt
烙印を押される to be branded / to be labeled

10.3.4 西方
いやー雨すぐに止むといいなあ。5時過ぎから観たいアニメがあるんだよ。
“Oh no, I hope it will stop raining soon. (the reason is) From 5 o’clock I have /there is an anime I wanted to watch”
いやー oh no
雨すぐに止むといい If the rain stops soon it will be good
すぐに immediately, right away (adverb)
止む to stop
と~ if / when?
いい good
5時過ぎから観たいアニメがあるんだよ
5時 5 oclock
過ぎ after ? (unsure)
から from
観たい want to watch
アニメ anime
ある to have / exist (inanimate)
んだ = の explanation (contraction) + だ copula

EDIT: oops, didn’t mean to reply to Duckretainer, I must have clicked the wrong button.

8 Likes

Congrats and Happy Birthday!

4 Likes

Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the line-by-line, it’s always helpful to see a breakdown. It’s one thing to understand a sentence, and a completely different thing to analyze it.

10.3.3 西方 (thought)

のが: Here の turns the preceding verb (動揺してる) into a noun, and が marks it as a subject. So I think a literal translation would be “If my trembling is exposed/noticed (バレたら), I will be branded a pervert”.

I took 平常心だ to mean “Compose yourself/Calm down”, but your interpretation may be closer. The meaning is similar in any case.

6 Likes

Thank you both =D
Sadly I have apparently run out of likes on the forums, so I can’t give you likes for another 8 hours >.>

+1, until now I’ve been doing the breakdowns on paper in a notebook, but I found I was spending a lot of time with the actual writing which, although it definitely helped improve my writing, may not be the best use of my time wrt. keeping up with the bookclub.

hahahaha, so when trying to break this down I initially started writing “の the normalizer …” and then I paused and thought “normalizer doesn’t make sense here”, my brain 100% blanked on the preceding verb <.<

Phewf, I was a bit unsure of that one as the literal translation of the word didn’t give an obvious meaning, so I somewhat crafted one by using the context and the rest of the sentence until it fit.

Thanks for the replies/fixes =D

7 Likes

Happy cake day!

4 Likes

Happy birthday! I hope you have a fantastic day!

And to echo @omk3, thank you for posting the line-by-lines. It really is good to see for everyone. I know for me, it can sometimes expose something that I was pretty sure I understood, but it turns out I may have misread! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I really do love the interactions Takagi and Nishikata have. :joy:

One thing I had a question about is the use of 過ぎから on chapter 1, page 5.

5時過ぎから観たいアニメがあるんだよ。

From what I could tell this basically means “There’s an anime I want to watch after 5:00.” What I’m not sure of is what the difference would be if あと was used instead (if that’s possible).

5時あとから観たいアニメがあるんだよ。

6 Likes