Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 2 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

You have the right use of と and からだ. Though I think the 決まっている implies less that he makes the decision, and more that it is decided for him.

Roughly:

“Because of my bad eyesight, it has been decided (presumably by the teacher) that (I will) always sit in the very front.”

1 Like

Right, I gave for known that he was the subject but it hasn’t to be that… is there anything particular that makes you think that it has been decided by someone else?

1 Like

Just context, and the next panel using 決まっている in the same way makes me feel this way. I could be wrong, of course, but it’s just how it feels to me.

2 Likes

What is the と after ボク at the beginning doing?
Also, I suppose ため here after 目が悪い marks the effect/result of what precedes (the result of having bad eyesight)
“ Similar to me, the result of bad eyesight, always seats near me “

1 Like

と is the “with” particle. Indicates ボク as the who the 隣に座るのだ is happening with, I think.

1 Like

Can’t explain this からだ at the end, what is it doing?

1 Like

It is the same as the からだ just before this. It’s essentially marking the statement as an explanation.

In this case, follow all the square “bubbles” across multiple pages. The previous square bubble was 「なぜかと言うと…」which feeds directly into the sentence you posted. :grin:

2 Likes

Oh I didn’t see so far back… damn, every time I get confused, and if the immediately previous speech bubble isn’t directly linked, I get lost. Maybe it is also fault of the slow pace I go at when I find lots of tough lines…

All clear for this chapter, and I just ended the おまけ one too!

Going to the Vol. 3 thread!

1 Like

Hello. Don’t know if anyone will see this cuz thread’s old but I’m really enjoying Takagi so far. I can actually understand the grammar and I’m learning a lot of vocab with this as well as getting good reading practice in. Currently going at 1 chapter per day. My question is how are people going about reading this? What I do is read a chapter, then reread it. But it seems kinda pointless reviewing stuff I had no problem on, so should I instead just focus on the trouble parts?

3 Likes

Hello! Glad to see somebody else enjoying the manga! :grin:

My general practice nowadays is to read through the chapter once, during which time I bookmark anything that I wasn’t sure on. This means if I saw an unfamiliar grammar point, or a new word that I either had to guess from context or move on just because I didn’t have any idea (this second option doesn’t really happen with Takagi-san anymore; words are fairly easy to guess from context in slice-of-life series like this), then I bookmark it. Once I finish the whole chapter, then I’ll go back to my bookmarks and look up whatever I was unsure about.

3 Likes

For me I just read through, and look up anything I’m unsure on in the moment but otherwise move on. At this stage this series is more of an easy read for me, so I’m not really learning all that much from it besides just getting broader exposure in a way that doesn’t tire me out (which is valuable too). Though in a longer thing like a novel I might do what @MrGeneric said and highlight things I’m unsure of (using the Kindle app) and then go back to those later to review. Depends on how hard the thing looks like it’ll be to work out

2 Likes