Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 2 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

Bro, I love demon slayer!

Edit: also, apart from your two corrections on とか and わざわざ I suppose the rest is correct then…?

Edit 2: I still don’t get how よく and そんな are working together and with the rest of the sentence

2 Likes

Yep.

Basically, even though it’s something you can say in person, people often go out of their way to do bothersome things like writing letters and such.

2 Likes

Ok great, surprisingly I had it almost right at the first try then… even tho i can’t digest that よく and そんな combination, It looks too weird there to me… what word is exactly modifying?

2 Likes

よく is working with する and そんな with めんどくさい.

よく(そんなめんどくさいことを)する

2 Likes

That is definitely fair. :stuck_out_tongue:

Font changes are pretty common across manga, ime. This series was just particularly fond of it; usually it’s to make it easier to differentiate who is speaking, or with what tone. With a main cast of 6, and with all 6 often being present at the same time, you take all the lifelines you can regarding that, whether it is a slightly different font or speech style or what have you. It’s more of a benefit than a harm, truly.

The horizontal writing is very few and far between, basically just the character introduction pages and some handwritten note situations and such. It’s always very obvious when you are expected to read horizontal vs vertical.

I checked on when I picked up the series. Looks like I bought it in late November of 2021. I know I waited about a month before I actually started reading it, which would have been December/early January. So it was roughly 6-7 months after first having started doing real reading with Takagi-san.

Of course, that timeline isn’t something you would have to follow, just wanting to point out that it might not be as out of reach as you think. I can’t give much info on AoT since I’ve not read it, but that is rated at 29, so they are likely fairly close in difficulty. The difference probably stems from AoT being a fantasy series, whereas 五等分の花嫁 is very much a school slice-of-life, so the vocabulary used will be different.

2 Likes

AoT walls of text flashbacks

:cold_sweat:

3 Likes

now it works great, i can finally see it!

Thanks for your feedback. I really hope it will be manageable even tho I’m beginning to convince myself that it’ll be harder than I hoped… that you know, a manga being fantasy, is the only increase in difficulty due to rare vocabs? Or there are other changes that impact the difficulty level?

What is this, don’t scare me :flushed:

2 Likes

Is there anything I’m missing about the word ごめんなさい or why is it written half hiragana and half katakana?

1 Like

Fantasy manga having rarer vocab, or series-specific vocab is definitely a contributing factor to difficulty increase, but they also tend to have a lot more world-building exposition so that you have an idea of the setting and such. As a result, you can end up with some pretty dense text on occasion, especially at the start of the series when it has to tell you a lot about the world it is set in so you understand the premise of the story.

I don’t think there is anything special about it. Likely just emphasis; he may have spoken the first half with more force. It could also just be a stylistic choice. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

What is だって here doing? Have no clue
Also I know what the sentence mean but I don’t know how to translate やりすぎ (overkill?)

2 Likes

Isn’t it, 「やりすぎだ」って!

やりすぎ is overkill or going too far

2 Likes

I get what you mean, and I’m scared, knowing AoT anime :joy: but actually knowing the anime could be of help…

Oh didn’t know katakana could also do this

3 Likes

Ok so, やしすぎた is ‘ is an overkill/ too much ‘
And what’s って doing then? I apologize for the ignorance, definitely need to go and read some material about it because I’m lacking too much on this grammar point and its possible interpretations

Edit: maybe here って is sort of ‘i’m telling you!’ Or maybe even better short for と思う…? (I think you’re over-exaggerating )

3 Likes

Yeah, I would go with something like this. :slight_smile:

って is usually a quote, either と言う、と思う、or は

You’re reading material about it. :grin:

3 Likes

Ok so we can say that at least most of the times I see it it’s just one of those and nothing more complex?

2 Likes

We could say it… :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes
ゴメンなさい is one of those you'll see a lot.

3 Likes

Woah, even writing ゴメン and なさい side by side… i think there are many things I should expect from mangas, maybe I have to forget i’m not on textbooks anymore…

Quick question, on 4.6.3.2
What is でも in “いや、でもまさか!

1 Like
2 Likes

It means “but”. That’s the most common meaning of でも, especially if it leads a statement on its own like it is.

3 Likes