Teasing Master Takagi-san šŸ˜ 惻 Off-Shoot Book Club Home Thread 惻 Currently Reading Volume 16

Do you mean that through a VPN I may be able to bypass the problem?
Anyway, the last part of what I wrote, I did on website (still on iPad tho), but couldnā€™t solve nothing :tired_face:

2 Likes

A VPN might help, yes. Iā€™ve had to use one once or twice, and then never again. Lol

2 Likes

Just downloaded a VPN, Iā€™m downloading books without problems from the apple books app (just bought é›Ŗ国) but on the amazon kindle app I still canā€™t buy stuff, so weirdā€¦

By the way, since Iā€™m using a free trial and will have access to the vpn for a short period of time, does anyone have books suggestions? :smile:

Edit: Iā€™m exploring the world from VPN and I love it, I think I will get the yearly subscription. Japanese netflix is incredible, I think I can get rid of crunchyroll nowā€¦ only thing is, there are only japanese subtitles so Iā€™m considering of embarking in a suicidal mission: only watch content with jap subtitles. Considering how few of everything I understand atm, would you guys think this may be productive or I better wait to improve?

2 Likes

So donā€™t have a lot of experience with apple as I donā€™t use apple eitherā€¦ but I did use bookwalker.jp to buy a bunch of stuff (honestly I already own)ā€¦so I had something to read in Japan on my tabletā€¦was going to carry the physical copies but being there for a month and luggage space just gave bookwalker more money. The tablet is a Samsung and works fine with bookwalker.

However, I did find there were a couple of books that I couldnā€™t buy outside of Japan which I thought was strangeā€¦ VPN to Japan and then I could buy them, but then I had to pay taxes on them lolā€¦but it worked and now that I have them donā€™t need the VPN to read them. The upside of the bookwalker app is I can use it on my phone or tablet and it works fine. Just make sure that you are logging into the bwjp vs bw us (or other country) ā€¦

But you do recall correctlyā€¦I do still prefer paper and I just read the first ch of vol 12 so I could click that button @MrGeneric :rofl:

The upside of paper is none of that DRM bsā€¦I just want to be able to buy it and read it FFS
I am fully convinced all that DRM copy crap and greedy licensing controls just further encourages more illegal copyingā€¦ very annoying when you just wanna hand over money and readā€¦hence a paper copy wonā€™t let you down (especially when kindle or bookwalker change names or the servers disappear or what notā€¦ you still have the book right!)

3 Likes

This is true but still requires to get the product shipped so it takes more timeā€¦ what taxes do you refer to? Iā€™m seeing the prices and stuff looks as convenient as ever, just bought a nobel prize awarded book for 2 eurosšŸ¤Æ also, do you have any book recommendation (book or LN that I can buy on apple books, not manga)?

1 Like

so buying the e-version there was no sales tax in japan when buying from the US (non-vpn) IIRCā€¦was last sep/oct donā€™t remember but I do remember the prices of the other books when I went by VPN taxes were tacked on (Japan taxes)ā€¦not US taxesā€¦

yeah shipping takes time but I usually order from CDJapan and with DHL to LA is usually less than a weekā€¦and with the time travel factor ā€¦ itā€™s sometimes 3 days ā€¦ quick and convenient ā€¦(no import taxes unless the value is above some very high number maybe 800 usdā€¦donā€™t recall, havenā€™t ever hit that threshold )ā€¦ not sure about how all that works in Europeā€¦know the taxes and what not are different over thereā€¦

Editā€”books ā€¦ hmā€¦
if you want a bookclub book that already has vocab and past threadsā€¦
You could go with é­”å„³ć®å®…ę€„ä¾æ (Kikiā€™s Delivery Service)
or something similar * éœ§ć®ć‚€ć“ć†ć®ćµć—ćŽćŖē”ŗ (The Mysterious Town Beyond the Mist)
thereā€™s also : * å¤œć‚«ćƒ•ć‚§ (Night Cafe)
might want to check out this thread:

Alternatively there is GJBu and there are some books that have 5 min stories in themā€¦ (will take you more than 5 min) but browse aroundā€¦Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find plenty of easy ways to part with that cash haha

2 Likes

:flushed: utopia fo me, i think to get takagi-san vol 1-6 i waited 2 weeks (was actually happy about how fast they were)

2 Likes

sorry forgot to answer your questions about books - edited the previous post for you

2 Likes

Well at this point nothing scares me so I would adventure in books that donā€™t have a book club as well (not that I improved at japanese, I just got braver)

:joy::joy: thatā€™s the purpose :joy: will give a check to your suggestions, thanks!

2 Likes

foolish mortalā€¦weā€™ve all been thereā€¦then you hit that wall at 100mph lolā€¦ realize you know nothingā€¦japanese is so ā€œniceā€ that wayā€¦good luck!!!

2 Likes

At the moment Iā€™m running toward that wall at full speed with a big smile and a lot of enthusiasm :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Having troubles with bookwalker as well @MrGeneric @shuly :joy::sob:
How do you buy on it?
Also, is the app chinese?

1 Like

hmmā€¦I dontā€™ think I bought them in the appā€¦IIRC I bought them through the web and then logged into the app to readā€¦but this is getting outside of my realm of being able to helpā€¦

try using the web browserā€¦as long as you do the e-book you should be able to read in a browser or app.

2 Likes

I may as well go back to paper :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

or the trick is to buy more than you can read ā€¦ so while you are waiting for your new order you have plenty of backlogā€¦ :rofl:

2 Likes

I think yamamoto tsunetomo suggests doing something along those lines in Hagakure :joy:

2 Likes

It shouldnā€™t be Chinese by default, no. I have only ever used it in JP or English. But I alsp donā€™t buy from it that often. It just has a better interface than Amazon for seeing what is free, so I use it to see what things are free and then go download it from Amazon. :joy:

@ChristopherFritz would be the better guide for Bookwalker.

To clarify, though, when using the VPN for Amazon, I still had to go to the actual website. Youā€™ll still want to make sure you have a (fake) Japanese address associated with the JP account, or it wonā€™t work.

Sounds like you got Apple working fine for you, though.

1 Like

does need to be a Japan address but it doesnā€™t have to be ā€˜fakeā€™ā€¦I have a Forwarding service connecting overseas customers and Japanese online stores [tenso.com] account that I use (not that often) but Tenso does give you a valid Japan address if you need oneā€¦ nice service to order things you canā€™t get from sellers that donā€™t ship overseas (a jp ebay seller, a random online store that only ships within japan, etcā€¦)ā€¦and turned out to be super helpful for sending all the random omiyage when I was in japan by takubin and then aggregating all of it and shipping home instead of trying to carry everything around and then pay for luggageā€¦ it wasnā€™t cheap but it was hella convenient will definitely do it again for the next japan tripā€¦

3 Likes

Oh yeah, definitely useful if you do more physical shipping. I just wouldnā€™t use it enough to justify it.

2 Likes

doesnā€™t cost anything to setup an accountā€¦ :wink: originally I wanted a few things I couldnā€™t get shipped outside japan some little thingsā€¦a collectable hokkaido mug ā€¦

then found a complete set of out of print manga in like new condition ebay japan but canā€™t ship outside japanā€¦doesnā€™t get used often but it is extremely helpful when I do use itā€¦

when I was in Japan thought heckā€¦maybe I can use it when traveling and turns out it worked greatā€¦found it so helpful getting all the gifts back and takubin is so cheap ā€¦ just save things up and every few days buy a box from the hotel and pay a small amount, even from hokkaido to tokyoā€¦and doneā€¦ I got good at filling out takubin forms in japanese :smiley: [have heard you can use english now but never tried]

2 Likes