Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1

that’s fair! i haven’t gotten around to it yet, but my plan is to create an anki deck that only has kanji - that way you can either type the definition or the reading, since you should know the vocab from the original deck.

EDIT - nvm, i created it. original post is updated but you can also find the kanji deck ~here~

2 Likes

I felt pretty happy recognizing that from Wani as well. This must be what it felt like when we were little learning how to read. You read the word “cat” for the first time, beside the big cartoon pic of the cat, and peed your pants with excitement, literally.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

I have been working through some Tadoku graded reader series from ASK publishing prior to this, the grammar is simple enough though that I haven’t had to look it up generally and so it ends up just being vocab.

I have tried to go through the graded readers extensively but I keep getting too curious and just falling back to look up every word (intensive).

Will do, thanks!

That’s comforting to know, I was a bit worried that I’d fall too far behind if I went too far into intensive.

Yeah! It was somewhat surprising, but I’m hoping that similar grammatical constructs will keep re-appearing in later parts.

I guess you have to get used to that feeling?

+1
I have a Japanese electronic dictionary which makes kanji lookup a bit easier (it can somehow make sense of my incorrect stroke order and bad technique?!?)

Will do =D

That makes sense, what I’ve been doing is writing down either lines or critical parts of lines, and then writing a note under them - not translating the meaning - but annotating what the grammar point is.
E.g. for rareru I wrote receptive/suffering helper verb, and other another verb I wrote the dict. form and a note on the kind of “conjugation” (IIRC it was potential).
So I still have to do the sentence deconstruction in my head, but the notes help me keep track of new things.

2 Likes

When asking a question we should include a page number, but which page number?
It seems that this book has 2 different sets of page numbers =O

The contents page for example specifies page numbers for chapters, and then correspond with the very infrequent page numbers in the bottom corner of the page (e.g. of chapter title pages).

Here is the title page for the first chapter showing a number “3” in the bottom left

Summary

Additionally every page includes a small page number between the panels which doesn’t match up with the numbers from the table of contents.

Here is a picture of the first (on the right) and second (on the left) pages of panels. Note the numbers “2” and “3”, whereas according to the table of contents (and title page) they are pages “4” and “5”.

Summary

If I was asking a question about the first page of panels could I call it “page 2”? or should I call it “page 4”?

2 Likes

Looking at the first chapter, some common grammar (and writing styles) I see includes:

• Replacing some れ/る sounds with with ん.
  • Explanatory の (as I wrote about somewhere earlier in this thread).
  • Katakana for some words. (We’ve been talking about this a bit in the Beginner Book Club this past week.)
  • Replacing some long vowels in hiragana with ー (as normally seen in katakana).
  • All sorts of sentence-ending particles (including combinations thereof).
  • こと.
  • Shortening じゃない to じゃん.
  • [name]め.
  • All kinds of helper verbs, such as れる, ます, and ちゃった.

I expect we’ll keep seeing these, so don’t worry if they don’t sink in on the first appearance.

That’s a good catch, and something to consider before we start in…a day or two!

What do you think, @Phryne? We have two sets of page numbers:

• “Page number of the volume” that pretty much never shows up on pages.
  • “Page number of the chapter” (each chapter beginning at page 1) which does show up on every page.

(Since we’ll have a new thread per chapter, my recommendation is to use the latter.)

7 Likes

This list is superbly accurate.

This is very confusing =O

オレ was one that kept sticking out to me.

These are my weakness, hopefully this’ll help me improve.

+1, I naively think the numbers on each page will be easier, otherwise I think we have to count or do math.

1 Like

You and @chrisosaurus make some excellent points!

I agree about the page numbers. I’ll keep the book-wide page numbers in the schedule, because that is based on chapters anyway, so I doubt it’ll lead to confusion. But for discussion I think you are right that chapter-wide page numbers are more suitable. I will make sure to include a note about that when I make the first discussion thread in a few hours!

Speaking of which… do you mind if I add that list you made to the discussion thread OP as well (with attribution of course)? I think it could be useful for people to know what sort of phenomena to look out for.

1 Like

Here in Sydney it is only 2.5 hours until the start time =D

5 Likes

Keen, are we, huh? :rofl: I’ll make sure to post it for Sidney time then :grin:

3 Likes

Maybe a little :sweat_smile:
But I can try my best to wait until the rest of the world wakes up (I also don’t want to be the first to ask a question hhahaha).

1 Like

Please be! If you are ahead and already read and have questions, start the dicsussion by all means. A lot of people will have similar questions and be thankful to you.

4 Likes

By all means, feel free to if you’d like. (And feel free to modify it in any way.)

You'll find this comes up a lot when reading various manga.

i_0082x

i_0041x

08_846756_846756_1_133_001x

0049x

You get used to it in time. I imagine it’s common that questions about る/ん come up in the ABBC and BBC.

Sentence-ending particles are another one that you get used to with enough exposure. For me personally, I think watching anime helped because knowing the various tones they’re spoken with goes a long way.

I just now woke up on April 30th =D

I’ll second this. A lot of people will be apprehensive about asking questions. Seeing questions be asked may help alleviate the anxiety for some people to ask their own questions.

3 Likes

Here we go, unleash the questions!!!

13 Likes

First time joining a book club, and I just got my copy! I hope it’s not too late to join. :relaxed:

6 Likes

Couldn’t have picked a better time, we just started :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first manga I’ll be reading in japanese although I reached chapter 9 in genki quite recently. Please tolerate my noobie questions :pray: :blush:

9 Likes

Based on the feedback regarding our pace, we’re sticking with one chapter a week. So here we go, chapter 2!

If you’re thinking about joining us at this stage, don’t worry about catching up. The chapters are standalone stories, so just join us for chapter 2 :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The Google sheet is fantastic. Truly, to anyone contributing to that: You have my thanks, my kingdom, and half a horse.

ありがとうございます!

5 Likes

Thread #3 is up!

7 Likes

Almost halfway there!

4 Likes