|–|–|–|
|Chapter|4: 筋トレ|
|Volume pages|52-66|
|Last week|Click!|
|Next week|Click!|
|Home thread|Click!|
|ABBC|Click!|

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Anki deck
Kitsune deck

Discussion guidelines

• Please don’t hesitate to ask questions, even if you think it’s a silly question. Helping each other learn is what book clubs are all about! :slight_smile:
  • When asking for help, please include the ‘chapter page number’. This makes it easier for others to help you and it makes the information in this thread more searchable. The ‘chapter page numbers’ are the ones in between the panels on every page, not the ones that occasionally appear at the bottom of the page (those would be the volume page numbers).
  • Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages and any content from later in the book/series by using spoiler tags: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler].

Participants

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along this week
  • I will catch up later
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

10 Likes

I have some time today since I have the day off from work, so I’ll start.

Page 2

今に見ていろ 高木さんめ。。。

The first part,「今に見ていろ」, seems to be a phrase meaning “I’ll show you one day!” (from jisho.org). I’m not sure how those words make up that phrase though. Literally it seems more like “I’ll show you now” maybe?

Is this correct? Should I add it to the vocab sheet?

9 Likes

Not finding it too bad so far

Slight question:

Chapter page 3

「それくらいじゃなきゃダメなんだ!!」
So here I’m having trouble with the じゃなきゃ - from some searching on Jisho I think it’s being used as an “unless”? Something like “unless doing it to this extent is useless”? Honestly I’m not sure - if someone could give some help that would be useful

More important question:

Chapter page 5

「これは普段からかわれすぎている自分への・・・罰なのだ。」
I’m not certain on this one, but in breaking it down this is what I got - would be very helpful if someone could let me know if I’m not too far off here:
これは - this (what he’s doing currently) = topic
普段 - always (I think)
からかわれ - I think this is the ます stem of the passive form (see below for why)
すぎている - Apparently this can be used as a suffix to mean “too much” after the ます stem of a verb
(if these are right may be worth updating the vocab sheet)
自分 - oneself
へ - particle indicating direction
の - nominaliser
Now combining it:
への - from this Maggie Sensei page I think this is a “for”
自分への - for oneself/for someone
からかわれすぎている - gets teased too much
普段からかわれすぎている自分 - someone who gets teased too much regularly
普段からかわれすぎている自分への - for someone who gets teased too much regularly

罰なのだ - it’s a punishment

これは普段からかわれすぎている自分への・・・罰なのだ
For someone who gets teased too much regularly… this is a punishment.

8 Likes
サマリー

It’s a contraction of じゃなければ if I remember correctly, together with a negative like the だめ that follows it, it’s a way of expressing “must” (“if I don’t do X, it’s no good” is just a roundabout way of saying “I must do X” :grin: ). I think the sentence would mean something as “it has to be to that extent”, or in normal English we would say something like “I have to at least do that”.

サマリー

I think you got the translation mostly right :grin: I interpreted the 自分(じぶん) more as “myself”, so it refers to Nishikata himself. The への is simply a combination of the particles へ and の, the combination basically states that the へ here applies to the word that follows it instead of the verb in the sentence, so 自分(じぶん)への(ばつ) is simply “a punishment to me” or “a punishment for me”. I ended up reading the entire sentence as “this is a punishment for me for always getting teased to much”, although the more literal translation would be “this is a punishment for the me who always gets teased too much”, but that sounds a bit odd in English :grin:

11 Likes

今 means “now”, and, as a general time expression, doesn’t take に after it, it’s used on its own.
今に on the other hand means “before long”.

12 Likes

Whew, Nishikata’s internal monologues are always rough to try to parse through. So far, I’ve made it to page 5, but I did have a couple of questions along the way.

page 3

「オレには今日、作戦があるのさ!!」
Today I have a strategy!!

The way I understood the use of には here was to say specifically he, himself (not necessarily anybody else) has a strategy. In which case… who exactly is he trying to contrast himself to? Takagi?

「帰り道の2回も合わせて…今日は15回もからかわれた…」
We’ve only walked home together twice… and I was teased 15 times today…

I’m not confident in this one. I don’t think I’m understanding the 帰り道の2回も part correctly. From what I know, 「Number + Counter + も」 generally puts emphasis on the number (for instance, 5時間も would be something like “for as long as 5 hours”), which I don’t think fits here.

8 Likes

For this, I think you might have used a different translation for ()わせて. It can mean “in total”. With も putting emphasis on the two times, you could read it as “on the way home (I was teased) as many as two times in total”.

The entire sentence would be something like “as many as 2 times on the way home … today I was teased as many as 15 times”. It seems like he’s tallying up the extra two times to some subtotal to count how many times he was teased today, with him putting emphasis on the fact that it was a lot.

17 Likes

Aaaah, that would explain my misunderstanding then. That makes more sense, thanks!

7 Likes

Personally I think a nice way of thinking about that use of も is just as an internal exclamation mark. Like 2回も you could just read as 2 times(!) since it can be awkward to think of it as adding extra words in an English understanding all the time

7 Likes
so this is why she described as sadodere in wiki, just look at her happy demon face

Got a little confused on p.63...
  • その反応が見たくてさ
    What’s the deal with たくてさ? It seems to express desire, but it’s not in ~たい/~たかった. It seems that here it used for conjugation and the context is important so working theory is “I wanted to see your reaction (and therefore I was messing with you, lmao)” or something like this

• まあ、そういうコトだから安心筋トレ続けなよ,
    as originally I misread 続けなよ as 続けないよ and there were no context why he should stop training.
    after rereading and googling turns out that ~な with stem means imperative to do something, in contrast with 続けない or 続けるな
    Turns out it comes from なさい.

4 Likes

This is the て form of 見たい, so your translation seems correct. The purpose of the て form in this case would be connective, but the part it connects to is missing, as it is easily derived from context.

This confused me too, so thanks for the explanation.

5 Likes

Question from chapter page 7:

Summary

「ここは自分に厳しくいくべきだ、1回としてカウントしておこう」
ここ = here
は = topic marker
自分 = oneself/myself
に = marking oneself/myself as the indirect agent?
厳しく = strict (adverbial form)
いく = to go?
べきだ = should (I think?) - not sure what this だ is doing here
1回 = 1 time
として = as
カウント = count
しておこう = do (something in advance in preparation for something else? apparently this is volitional)

1回としてカウントしておこう - let’s count this as one time (in preparation for something else)

Not really sure how to proceed from here

5 Likes
p7

1回としてカウントしておこう

In this part he counts it as one time being tricked by Takagi, as 回 through the chapter refers to being tricked.

ここは自分に厳しくいくべきだ

It looks like translating literally might help: “Here [myself; on] [strictly] [should go]”. So basically this part is “I should be strict with myself”
(it goes nicely along with ~page 3 where he also decided to be strict and not reduce number of exercises)

So combing it together “I should be strict on myself and count it as being tricked”

5 Likes

I guess the next question is where do you get the “and” from? I can’t work out where the connective would be there

3 Likes

From very fancy comma?

3 Likes

I made a decision this week to just have fun and not try to get 100% comprehension. It was a good chapter to do this with as the overall grammar used was fairly understandable. I’m still finding Tagaki’s monologues hard but glad it’s not just me!

Recovering from vaccine so happy I stuck with it this week! I really wanted to skip it.

9 Likes

I always read like this the first time through. It’s certainly more fun, and I think it’s good practice too. Being able to get the general gist on the fly is a good skill to have after all. Then, provided I have the time and the inclination, I go over it again, much more carefully this time. This feels much more like deciphering, but it can still be fun and productive if I don’t let myself get frustrated - and having an overall idea of the story certainly helps with that.

8 Likes

I haven’t been able to keep up, I still have parts of chapter 2 to finish breaking down.

I think my plan is to sit out chapter 4 and use the time to catch up, and then once we are finished with the whole book I might come back.
Thankfully the book is quite episodic so this should work out.

I have so far been reading intensively, I might start trying to do some extensively, although unless I break things down I won’t be able to understand much.

Thanks again to everyone for continuing to do all the hard work!

5 Likes

Oops, I lost my focus with daily reading for what seems like a moment, and three weeks after it’s a middle of the volume! Since I want to read with the group, I’ll jump into current chapter.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to vocab spread sheet - it is super great!

Page 2

Chapter title: 筋トレ Strength training
あはは。じゃあまた明日ねー。
Ha-ha. See you tomorrow!
くっ
Damn it! (silent curse)
今に見ていろ高木さんめ。。。
Watch me now, Takagi-san. (め after name indicates contempt also jisho)

Page 3

オレには今日、作戦があるのさ!!
Today I have a strategy!
帰り道の2回も合わせて。。。今日は15回もからかわれた。。。。。
Two more times on the way back home…Today I was teased 15 times.
15回 X10で150回か。。。 掛ける - How to read multiplication sign
15 times 10 is 150, huh…
150回。。。初回にしてはハードな気が。。。
150 times… For the first time, it is hard… (Or: Hard start Or: Tough luck for a start)
いや!やるんだ!!
No! I’ll do it!!
それくらいじゃなきゃダメなんだ!!
Deepl says it is : That’s how hard it has to be.

Page 4

その日高木さんにからかわれた回数の十倍の回数の。。。腕立て。。。!!!
Number of times I was teased by Takagi-san on that day, times ten is the number of push-ups!
じゅう…はちぃ!!
Eight-teeeen!
思ったよりメチャクチャキツイぞ。。。
More than I thought, extremely hard…
少し回数を減らすか。。。?
Maybe decrease the number a little…?
いや!!ダメだッ!!!
No! No way!

This sentense from page 3 gives me trouble:
それくらいじゃなきゃダメなんだ!!
Parts don’t come together nicely. EDIT: I see this sentence explained already earlier in the thread - #4.

8 Likes

I think it is more like:
Adding two more times on the way home, I was teased 15 times today. 合わせて has the second meaning “in addition”

6 Likes