|–|–|–|
|Chapter|7: 傘|
|Volume pages|102-116|
|Last week|Click!|
|Next week|Click!|
|Home thread|Click!|
|ABBC|Click!|

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Anki deck
Kitsune deck

Discussion guidelines

• Please don’t hesitate to ask questions, even if you think it’s a silly question. Helping each other learn is what book clubs are all about! :slight_smile:
  • When asking for help, please include the ‘chapter page number’. This makes it easier for others to help you and it makes the information in this thread more searchable. The ‘chapter page numbers’ are the ones in between the panels on every page, not the ones that occasionally appear at the bottom of the page (those would be the volume page numbers).
  • Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages and any content from later in the book/series by using spoiler tags: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler].

Participants

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along this week
  • I will catch up later
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

10 Likes

so sorry … behind this week (not really but…) haven’t read it yet so have not populated the vocab like usual ahead of time… すみません :pray:

5 Likes

So, is 相合傘 a pun for 愛 (love), or is it just generally embarrassing as an act? Is it considered a romantic thing to do?

6 Likes

I haven’t read the chapter yet (too much going on today, I will likely read tomorrow morning), so I’m just going off of my knowledge of the kanji, but my understanding is because it is an activity common to couples, it is pretty strongly associated with romance/couples almost as much as holding hands is.
Also, yes, it is a pun.

9 Likes

Thanks for that, I was trying (and failing) to read the Japanese Wikipedia article instead.

Apparently there are many sources in English about this sort of thing, like this one:

It seems it’s prevalent in art, literature, and of course manga and anime. Huh. I learn something new every day (and it’s not only kanji).

8 Likes

It looks like it can also refer to the thing where two peoples names are drawn underneath an umbrella, as pictured on the title page for the chapter. (Based on some rough readings of the second definition at 「相合い傘」の意味や使い方 わかりやすく解説 Weblio辞書 and the fourth picture under 傘 - Wikipedia)

8 Likes

You know, that title page image went completely over my head until you said it. Even after reading about the umbrella drawing thing, I didn’t immediately make the connection, and was wondering why Nishikata would react so strongly to Takagi’s inexpertly drawn umbrella. Such a quirky love symbol. I think I prefer it to the classic heart shape.

6 Likes

I’ve seen it so many times that I actually can’t think of examples of where I’ve seen it!

The only one I can recall offhand is the opening theme for Strawberry Marshmallow, which is just the shape without names.

8 Likes

All the grammar was clear in this chapter, although I had to look up some of the expressions. I put them in the vocabulary sheet, but that would be nice if someone would help me double-check. :slight_smile:

page 6

なんだか今とてつもなく恥ずかしいこと。。。
I thought てつもなく should be とてつもない as an adjective, right?

Jisho had 気をまぎらす (to distract oneself) and まぎらわす (to distract​, as a transitive verb). I guess 気をまぎらわす should mean ‘to distract someone’ as an expression.

7 Likes

This is a second chapter where Takagi talks about kisses and I think it’s the first time 愛 (through in compound Word) and “couple” were mentioned. MC is a little dense.

6 Likes

What a cute picture. So, it really seems that the angular umbrella shape is used very much like the heart shape.

Yes, it looks like this is とてつもなく, the adverb from the adjective とてつもない.
As for まぎらす vs まぎらわす, it seems they are more or less interchangeable, according to what little I could understand from this link.

6 Likes

Most things this week were pretty much clear. Just had to check some vocabulary for the most part, and even that was mostly me doubting that I knew something that I actually knew!

The feeling of improvement from this book club has truly been great. I truly feel like I have made more progress doing this than anything else. I’m definitely going to try and keep up with book clubs, and I think I might continue to read this series just on my own. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s not the sort of thing I would have picked up without a push in this direction, but I’m enjoying it a lot!

Anyway, I had 2 questions in this chapter, but one of them I was able to figure out by searching for it on my own. I’ll still drop it in here with the link to what I read in case anybody else needs the information.

Pg. 4

「たしか西片の傘ってちょっと大きめだよね。」
“As I remember/if I remember correctly, your (Nishikata’s) umbrella is a little biggish, am I right?”

This is the one I was able to answer on my own. I wasn’t sure about the め attached to 大き in place of it’s usual い, but Maggie-sensei came through for me on that.

https://maggiesensei.com/2016/04/08/adjective-目/め-me/

Pg. 16

「よかった… 高木さんちまで続くかと思ってヒヤヒヤした…」
“Thank goodness… The thought of continuing to be close to Takagi-san makes me nervous…”

I was translating from context and the words I know, but while it sounds nice in English, I feel like I’m missing points of the grammar. ちまで is new to me, for sure, but I feel like that’s where the “to” comes from in “close to.” Am I right in that?

The bigger question is this かと思って… Googling this phrase shows it is a grammar point all on its own (I got there just by searching かと, and it was already attached together in the results). It is translated as “Just when/no sooner than,” which would change my sentence entirely… If I were trying to fit it, I guess I would say, “Thank goodness… Just when I was getting nervous continuing to be close to Takagi-san.”

It doesn’t sound as natural in English, but conveys the same meaning and keeps the original grammar intact… again, the question is, am I looking at that right? Or am I missing a piece of knowledge somewhere?

As always, thanks again to everyone here! You are all wonderful!

Edit: Actually, to clarify, since this is my first book club ever. Are the future volumes of this also going to have their own thread? Some sort of spin-off book club separate from the ABBC which will be reading Ayumu next? I’m not entirely sure how it all works from the end of the first volume. Heh.

Edit 2: I should have been watching the main thread this entire time, too… Apparently, I had it set to tracking, but not watching… :sweat_smile: Either way, got my answer. Haha.

7 Likes
p16

I have a feeling that ちまで is not atomic grammar point.
It seems んち comes from うち
And either さん and んち merge together or ち is just a shorter version.
But reversocontext also thinks that ち is a home/place

5 Likes

The relation to home/place sorta confuses me… (My french is also not great, so that doesn’t help matters either with trying to read more of that page. Heh) But this did help me separate the ち from まで, and I found Maggie-sensei’s breakdown, in which item 3 explains まで as an indirect object particle marker in the spirit of “to”, so thank you for helping me separate that.

It does leave a question mark for me on the ち, though. What would Takagi-san’s home have to do with the sentence, you think? Or is there another use for うち that I am unaware of? Is it used to indicate being in someone’s vicinity also, so to speak? Similar to how こと is used as like a “personality” stand in with, i.e, 「高木さんのこと」

https://maggiesensei.com/2019/07/17/how-to-use-まで-made/

Edit: Interestingly, putting ちまで into the reversocontext site you posted brings up translations like “till” and “to”, also.

Edit 2: I’m silly. Found how to change the interface to English. It still didn’t really clear up anything regarding ち, though.

4 Likes
My understanding of it:

I was sure I had found a direct translation of ち on Jisho, but I can’t find it again for some reason. I can’t have hallucinated it, I remember it being used as a suffix after a name to mean “name’s home”. Oh well, here’s another mention of it. Apparently the whole thing should be 高木さんのうち, with のうち getting shortened to んち and then losing the ん because 高木さん already ends with an ん.
So, 高木さんちまで続く= to continue up to Takagi’s house
Now, the か I interpreted as marking an indirect question, and understood the sentence as “Thinking that I might continue up to Takagi’s house made me nervous”, but I may well be wrong.
In any case, he doesn’t need to accompany Takagi up to her house, because it stopped raining, so she doesn’t need his umbrella any more. So he’s thankful for that at least.

Edit: Ah, found the Jisho entry. Although I could swear I read it without the ん before.

9 Likes

Ahhhhh, okay. That makes sense! Thank you! I was too stuck on the being close/being under the umbrella being an implied meaning that I couldn’t see past that, even when it was served to me on a platter by @maykeye. I can be quite dense sometimes, too. Nishikata and I could probably get along due to that. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I felt like I’ve really improved during my time with the book club - reading this has got me to look up so many bits of grammar and learn about them

Also just to add on a little thing, I think the か can be seen as throwing doubt on the prior statement/making it into a question of sorts and then と as quoting it (as is usually the case with 思う). Maybe I’m wrong there, but I think that’s what happening

4 Likes

I interpreted it the same as you. Looking a little more into it, it seems the “just when; no sooner than” meaning is specifically for the かと思ったら form.

5 Likes

I definitely think you and @omk3 have it right. The “Just when” meaning doesn’t make sense once the house bit is added into the translation. か as a question particle with と as a quoting particle works perfectly there. That explanation was just one I wouldn’t reach with where I got myself stuck. Heh.

Edit: かと思うと is also a version of “Just when” that you will see based on my earlier searching, so I (incorrectly) extrapolated that to to the て form.

4 Likes

It’d make sense to make a ‘Teasing Master Takagi-san’ home thread and organise future volumes in there. Or maybe the home thread of this club could become the general Takagisan home thread? In that case, the mods should turn it into a wiki.

Depending on the level of activity, you could make a separate discussion thread per chapter or per volume. I’d recommend the latter, because activity will likely be a bit lower than for this volume (and you can tell that’s been dropping precipitously!).

6 Likes