Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝・Volume 9 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete!]

Home Thread

Previous Volume

Currently Reading: Volume Complete!

Summary

Middle school students Nishikata and Takagi sit next to each other in class. Takagi, who is in love with Nishikata, enjoys teasing him with embarrassing pranks and jokes. In response, Nishikata creates plans to get his revenge, but they always fail when she identifies his weaknesses and capitalizes on them.

Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Week 1 October 22nd Chapter 1 (72) - 間接キス 3 - 18 16
Week 2 October 29th Chapter 2 (73) - くしゃみ 19 - 34 16
Week 3 November 5th Chapter 3 (74) - かくれんぼ 35 - 50 16
Week 4 November 12th Chapter 4 (75) - 年末① 51 - 66 16
Week 5 November 19th Chapter 5 (76) - 年末② 67 - 82 16
Week 6 November 26th Chapter 6 (77) - メール 83 - 100 16
Week 7 December 3rd Chapter 7 (78) - 歩数 101 - 116 16
Week 8 December 10th Chapter 8 (79) - 外見 117 - 132 16
Week 9 December 17th Chapter 9 (80) - ドッジボール 133 - 148 16
Week 9 December 17th Bonus - おまけ 150 - 152 3

As before, given how short the bonus chapter is, we will be reading Chapter 9 and the Bonus Chapter in the same week.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

When asking for help, please include the ‘chapter page number’. This makes it easier for others to help you and it makes the information in this thread more searchable. The ‘chapter page numbers’ are the ones in between the panels on every page, not the ones that occasionally appear at the bottom of the page (those would be the volume page numbers).

Where To Buy

Physical: Amazon JPCD Japan

Digital: Amazon JPBookwalker

Vocabulary

Chapter Participants

8 Likes

A good chunk of this volume is going to be no surprise to those who have watched the anime, but it should still be quite cute! :grin: Let’s start off Volume 9 with a 間接キス :flushed: (or well, let Takagi-san and Nishikata handle that for us; Covid and all. :joy:)

Are you planning on reading with us this week?
  • I will be reading along!
  • I’ve already read it!
  • I will catch up later!
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

3 Likes

I expect to have déjà vu moments reading the Yukari series or the Moto series, but…

6 Likes

But now we get it with the improved art style, at least? :joy:

6 Likes

I’ll admit I thought it’d be fine if it was the exact same chapter, just redrawn.

7 Likes

I felt like joining the fun for Volume 9 ! Nishikata never learns ! He should have seen it coming ! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a few question, Please enlight me with your wisdom :pray:
Also I added some words to the vocabulary list while reading through the chapter.

page 3

またっくしょうがないな
So I’ve read that しょうがないな means it can’t be helped
and またっく conveys a feeling of exasperation
So Nishikata is saying something like “I swear, you’re helpless” ?

page 7

ウンつぽい
I don’t understand, this ウン, It appears in three different sentences throughout the chapter and I have no idea what it means :sweat_smile:

オレにはウンつかないとか言っておいて : “You told me …” and I can’t figure the rest

西方さんが今ウンついてたら私の勝ちね : “If Nishikata …, I win”

page 11

オレは引かん

I’ve never seen this form 引かん. Does someone has an explanation ?

Nishikata has come up with this solution. Not sure if it helps though

3 Likes

ウソ :smiley:

5 Likes

:person_facepalming: Katakanas … Thank you !

5 Likes

Thank you for adding vocab! @shuly is currently busy, and I’ve gotten so used to him beating me to the punch that I forgot to do it this week. :joy:

Pg. 3

That’s the basic meaning, yep! He’s definitely being a bit sarcastic/using it as ammo to tease Takagi-san though, as opposed to actually being exasperated.

Pg. 11

A casual form of 引かない. ない sometimes gets shortened to ん in casual speech. A common one you’ll likely come across is いかん/行かん.

6 Likes
Page 3

Yes he definetely tries to appear thougher than he is !

Page 11

I see, so he is saying "I won’t pull’ ? Has 引く a different meaning ?

4 Likes
Pg. 11

Yeah, 引く has quite a few definitions. I think the most pertinent would be either, I won’t draw back," or “I won’t quit.”

5 Likes
Comments

I’m not sure how to read this expression, is this relief that he didn’t actually go with the indirect kiss or is it a まったく。。。 moment?

6 Likes
Story comments

I think it’s more the latter. She’s exasperated at the lengths that he’ll go to avoid the indirect kiss. She had a similar expression earlier, when Nishikata said he was happy to see her, and she got excited, and then he continued that it was because he wanted to have another competition. That’s why I interpreted it as exasperation.

7 Likes
Comments

I would say the latter as well.

In volume 1, there was a similar situation and she went straight for the indirect kiss. I don’t think she minds such things, or is it because she has feelings for Nishikata ? The author doesn’t show her interacting with other boys much, so it’s hard to tell.

Existential question, Is Indirect Kissing really a thing in Japan ? I’ve come across it so many times I’ve stopped questioning it, but do people legitly get embarrassed ? :thinking:

7 Likes

Well, I think sharing saliva with people is not something you do all the time.

5 Likes

I guess you’re right even though according to some research…

Healthier mouth – saliva contains substances that fight bacteria […] exposure to germs that inhabit your partner’s mouth strengthens your immune system.

Just kidding, but I find that we have different reason for not doing it. More because we find it dirty than because we are embarassed of indirect kissing. Heck, I didn’t even now what it was before Anime !

7 Likes

That’s kind of the point, imo.

If you find it dirty, it’s because it’s a random person’s saliva, unless you don’t share anything food related with anyone.

I, for example, wouldn’t do it with a stranger, but I don’t have a problem with drinking from the same bottle as a friend, male or female.

It implies a closer relationship in which at least you know or trust them to be clean or not be sick without telling you.

Of course, there’s a bit of a leap from that to indirect kiss, but at that age I do think it’s common to be aware and kind of embarrased of being so close to someone of the gender you’re attracted to.

But yes, it’s a thing besides anime.

But anything regarding boys and girls can be used for teasing by classmates and stuff. Like borrowing a pencil from someone, imagine drinking from the same can.

5 Likes

I see your point, Junior High is a though period for boys/girls interaction haha. I don’t remember sharing many cans with girls at this age so I can’t say what my reaction would have been, but then again, we do not have that many 自販機 on the way home from school :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

You didn’t have any drinks in school? :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Well, during lunch we had water in glasses and during break, we drank directly from the tap. No bottles involved to perfom an indirect kiss haha

5 Likes