🐌🏖 Team Snails on Vacation 🐌🏖

I love this! That is me! :slight_smile: Happy snail drinking my coffee!

1 Like

It’s something I do for myself :slight_smile:
I found that learning a language, especially in the beginning feels like swimming in a big ocean and things like certain tests or textbooks give me some orientation, showing me how far I’ve come and therefore motivating me. That may be just me, but I’m not someone who’s comfortable with too much openness, so giving myself some borders makes me feel better :smiley:

2 Likes

Hm, I mainly use Bunpo (not BunpRo like many others here), its working with an SRS as well. But for me, I only use this to reinforce the grammar points I’ve come across the Genki textbooks, not necessarily learning new grammar. I also wouldn’t recommend studying grammar out of context, because its so complex that there’s probably not much use to that. Maybe you want to get yourself a textbook you feel comfortable with? :slight_smile: For reading I use the Satori Reader, can highly highly recommend, you can integrate your WK knowledge in that one so that for all the Kanji you’ve learned already there will be no Kana. It also explains grammar points used in the sentences

4 Likes

thanks for the advice.

First time hearing about this. Will give this a go.
One of the biggest challenges I face in my reading practices is when I see too many new/unfamiliar kanji, it kind of kills my drive to practice :stuck_out_tongue:
This seems to address that issue for me :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, I completely get that! With Satori Reader, my only problem is that my vocabulary needs to improve a lot, but I can read anything and that feels great :relaxed:

2 Likes

Popping in to say “Hi” and see how everyone is doing :blush:
Keeping on track with 7 lessons/day and going ok. Should be finished the L12 vocab in a week and then starting on the L13 Radicals. Apprentice count is hovering around 70 which is comfortable at the moment.
Will probably drop the L13 Kanji back to 5/day, so definitely keeping a snaily pace :snail:

5 Likes

Hi @Sproingle. This made me think of you:

2 Likes

That is soooooo adorable :heart_eyes:. Thank you!!

Do I belong? I think I belong.

Level 9, 342 days and counting. The burns are coming along nicely, though.

10 Likes

Hi all,

I’ve been snailing along on WaniKani since March 2016. I had to reset a couple of times before I could figure out what a sustainable pace is for me. That turns out to be between one and two months per level.

Having discovered that, I finally escaped the Pleasant levels and slid smoothly along until I hit a cognitive wall at level 25. My brain angrily refused to learn any new kanji, and I had to tread water for a few months, doing nothing but reviews. Finally, my brain is back in business, and I’ve leveled up. To celebrate, I’d like to join your noble escargatoire.

10 Likes

welcome aboard, fellow traveler.

Thanks for teaching me this word :smiley:

3 Likes

Keep at it my friend.
I did an ambitious 20 lessons on the same day once I reached the radicals :smiley: and immediately reverted to 5/day with the Kanji. I think I’ve reached that stage where most kanji feel familiar but also unfamiliar :rofl:

2 Likes

Just realized I misspelled it - it should be escargatoire. I’m as bad with vowels in English as I am in Japanese.

1 Like

that’s ok. I didn’t memorize the spelling.
Just knowing that there’s a word out there is more important than remembering the spellings (I mean English is not the friendliest language when it comes to spellings :rofl: ).

3 Likes

A group of snails can also be referred to as a rout or a walk, but I much prefer escargatoire.

7 Likes

A new one for me too! I knew ‘escargot’ from a culinary point of view (not that I’ve ever eaten snails :eyes:) but not this awesome word!
Welcome :wave: :wave:

Yes, I have been ambitious too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I do get a bit excited and impatient when that kanji bar starts growing! Have to keep it steady or else the durtles get a bit overwhelming :pensive:

2 Likes

Another snail to join the Escargatoire!!

Wow, certainly are! How far along did you get before you reset back?

1 Like

Hm. Could we then say that the reviews were routed by the snails?

2 Likes

I think I reset one or two levels back. I neglected WK for quite a while without using vacation mode and the review queue swelled up to beyond what I could handle.

2 Likes

Hi! I’m on vacation this weekend. Maybe I can do reviews but I’ll be busy trying to understand my inlaws countryside dialect.
Wish me luck.

6 Likes