Taking a test tomorrow! This will probably define my future :)

Dear WK colleagues, please wish me luck!
:four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover:
I am taking a Japanese assessment exam tomorrow - slightly nervous as I didn’t receive any information on how exam is going to be structured and what level they are expecting.

I feel confident re: Kanji (thanks to the Crabigator!), N5-N4 grammar, less confident but still okay-ish for N3-N2 grammar, could have learned more vocabulary, but am fairly able to communicate with colleagues/read their status updates, etc. Not very confident re: composing texts myself, adverbs, the verb readings of Kanji.

The program asks for the level obtained after ‘two years of rigorous language training’ at uni, which I’ve had (and hopefully haven’t forgotten…)
Anyway, any last minute advice is very welcome :slight_smile:

P.S. You’re an amazing community!

27 Likes

Wow! Good luck!
It seems like in many of these exams, it is the listening portion that trips people up. If you communicate in Japanese sometimes and have had classroom experience that should give you an advantage in that area.

I have been through some of these “high stakes” tests in my life. After my last actuary exam I knew that I had passed, but I still just sat out in my car and cried afterwards.

Get a good night’s sleep, if you can! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Visit the nearest 神社, burn some incense and pray to the Holy Crabigator

13 Likes

Thanks @RoseWagsBlue! Listening, if there will be any, should not be an issue, as I have worked with Japanese colleagues (in the UK), am listening to NHK News and watching JapaNews24 fairly frequently, and can understand most of it.
I will head to bed early :sleeping_bed: - and am planning on cooking some brain food tonight :brain: :canned_food: - avocados, nuts, olive oil, potato, kale and the like…

@plantron: if only there was one! I’ll draw one, hang it on my wall and try :smile: :shinto_shrine:

4 Likes

Good luuuuuuuck!!! :blush:

1 Like

Thank yooooouuuuuu @fiercedaddylink!

1 Like

Best of luck with it, stupidly unhelpful thing to say but try not to stress out too much :hugs: You sound like you’ll be alright with it and even if it didn’t work out there are always other options, it just tends to be hard to see other routes until you need them.

がんばって!

2 Likes

ありがとう!:blush: You’re right about this :relieved: Whatever will be will be :sunflower:

1 Like

Good luck! Follow your dreams and you will succeed!

2 Likes

Good luck!!! Be sure to let us know how it goes!

1 Like

頑張ってー :clap::clap::exclamation: (•̀o•́)ง

You’ve already done your part, so no matter the result, just do your best and leave no regrets! 応援してるよ ^^ :books::four_leaf_clover:

8 Likes

Good luck. がんばって!!

1 Like

Last minute test advice: try to relax and get a good night of sleep! You got this. :rocket:

4 Likes

Let us know how it goes. I would guess N2 is where you should be after two years of uni.

3 Likes

Will do. Re: level, I found everything from N4-N2… :thinking:

2 Likes

Makes sense. I did a year of Japanese and we finished Genki II, which got us to N4. After a year of self study I passed N3 with significant margins, so N2 sounds about right after two years of study, but they would include things from the whole year.

2 Likes

Good luck!! :heart: Just relax and do your best! 頑張って!

2 Likes

Thank you all! Off to bed now, now it’s up to the heavenly turtles :turtle: :crab: :pray:
Will let you know how it went once I do know :slight_smile:
Thanks for your cheering! :bowing_woman:

4 Likes

Sleep well! Good luck tomorrow!

1 Like

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

2 Likes