三ツ星カラーズ — Week 12 Discussion (ABBC)

三ツ星カラーズ Week 12: Pages 86–93

Start Date: 29nd of January

Home Thread: Link
Last Week: Link
Next Week: Link

Page Numbers Guide

Due to a general lack of page numbers, it can be difficult to know which page you’re asking a question on. You can use the thumbnails below to see at a glance which page number each is.

Thumbnails with page numbers for this week's reading. (Spoiler warning!)

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m no longer reading

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes

After hearing in last week’s thread that it’s unknown whether the story of the elephants being given poisoned food that they refused to eat was true or not, I decided to stop by my local zoo and see if we can reproduce the situation.

At first, the zoo workers seemed aghast at the idea of giving the elephants poisoned food. I’m not quite certain why. But once I explained it’s for a Japanese book club reading a comic book, they were firmly on board.

Apparently, not only did the elephants not eat the poisoned food, but they broke out of the zoo overnight and went on a rampage through downtown.

I’m glad I live a good 15 to 20 miles away from downtown!

This has been a work of fiction.

9 Likes

That looks like Cities: Skylines! That’s an excellent game. :grin:

4 Likes

Apparently, if you have a zoo animal enclosure on one side of town, and you decide to move it to the other side of town, the animals don’t auto-move with the enclosure. Instead, they slowly walk from the old location to the new one.

(When this happened for me a month ago, I knew I had to screenshot it for this chapter.)

8 Likes

Interestingly enough, that happened in the real world here in Sydney. Back in 1916, they moved Sydney’s zoo from Moore Park, south of the CBD, to where it now at Mosman, on the north side of the harbour. Most animals they moved in crates, but the elephant posed a problem - there wasn’t really any way to get her into a crate, and even if they could do that, they wouldn’t be able to lift it afterwards. So she walked to the harbour, and crossed the water on a barge.

There was a whole exhibition about the move at the Museum of Sydney at the end of last year, but I don’t know if it’s still running.

9 Likes

Well, as for the chapter itself, I’m having some trouble finding the ガイドツアー集合場所 on page 86. It looks like it’s visible from the tiger enclosure, but I’m not spotting it on street view, and it’s not marked on the zoo’s map.

Here’s some other locations, though:

(Don’t feed the animals.)

7 Likes

I wonder if this is page 88 panel 3.

4 Likes

Oh, heh. I only looked at the rack of the left of that, and decided it didn’t look similar enough.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Page 89, Panel 3, Sacchan

ってそうじゃないでっしゃろ

One of those sentences that I really struggle with. Feels like it’s all grammar and no vocab if you know what I mean.
The usual offender って is in there, I really struggle with this. ‘said’ ?

Please could someone break it down, thank you.

Page 89, Panel 4, Sacchan

そうじゃなくてゾウだろ

Is the そうじゃな similar to the そうじゃな in my last mention?

Page 89, Panel 6, Kotoha - I just enjoyed the burn she did to sacchan!

Page 91, Panel 3, Yui

乾そう肌だね

I guess it’s some pun, switching in the hiragana for the kanji. I didn’t get it though.
Last panel had すごい乾燥肌 - really dry skin
Skin’s exposed to the air or something

thank you, I’m sure some more will be along later.

6 Likes
ってそうじゃないでっしゃろ

って - quotes what came before, contraction of という. In this case, what Yui said about the animals eating properly.
そう - like that
じゃない - is not. Contraction of ではない
でっしゃろ - expression meaning “right?” according to Jisho
Put together, “It’s not like that (like what you said), is it?”

そうじゃなくてゾウだろ

じゃなくて is the te form of じゃない, contraction of ではない. Yes, exactly the same as in the previous sentence.

乾そう肌だね

Yes, she’s making a very deliberate pun that falls flat. Apparently only Satchan is allowed those :grin:
乾燥肌 I guess also refers to an elephant’s thick skin. Yui substitutes そう with ぞう (elephant) like Satchan has been doing all along.

12 Likes

Page 93, Panel 2, ?Sacchan

また持ってきてあげるから鼻長くして待ってろよ

Pretty okay with this sentence, apart from the 鼻長くして

また持ってきてあげるから - since we will get you another one, wait here <して> long nose

My reflex with する is ‘to do’ but there are another billion meanings. The translator picked:

wait here with your long nose…

10 Likes

長くする would mean “make long”, so “make your nose long and wait”, or “wait with your long nose”, sure.
But I suspect it’s a pun again. There’s this expression, 首を長くして待つ, which means waiting impatiently (possibly craning your neck, trying to see whatever you’re waiting for). For an elephant waiting for an apple, replacing 首 with 鼻 would make sense.

14 Likes

And this also nicely explains (I think it’s) Yui saying「(くび)でしょー」, for anyone curious about that.

12 Likes
Page 87, Panel 4

ちなみにお姉さんの1日の食費500円

I think she’s comparing the panda’s food budget with お姉さん’s food budget. Who is お姉さん in this case? Is she referring to herself casually as their older sister?

6 Likes
Pg. 87, Panel 4

This is something you will likely see fairly often:

お姉さん - means “older sister,” but is also just used to refer to young ladies up to a certain age (not really sure of the cut-off. Mid 20s-30s-ish, maybe?)

おばさん - means “aunt,” but is used to refer to women older than an お姉さん, but not quite upper middle-aged to senior (ish)

おばあさん - means “grandma”, but is used to refer to older women

You’ll see the same pattern for men, too.

お兄さん

おじさん

おじいさん

I saw the same use of お姉さん just the other day in a manga I’m reading on my own! :grin:

I don’t know that it’s necessarily “casual,” but it does seem to have an air of familiarity to it. Both of these examples are, of course, young women talking to little kids, though, so there’s going to be a little bit friendlier air. I’ve definitely seen them used when somebody is talking about strangers, if not necessarily to them, as well, though I don’t have a screenshot on hand for that. (そのお姉さん = “That young woman” type of thing.)

10 Likes

It is my impression that adults use honorifics for themselves when talking to young children in order to model the correct form of address for the children to copy. So in addition to what @MrGeneric said, the fact that she speaks about herself as お姉さん (instead of some other young woman) may be because she’s talking to kids. Looking for references for this, I found a long article on the term お姉さん on Japanese with Anime. If you scroll way down to " As First Person Pronoun" you will read:

Like many family words, oneesan can be used as a first person pronoun by an “older sister” talking to her younger sibling, including in the non-family sense.

If a girl uses oneesan to refer to herself when talking to a child, it teaches them to call the girl oneesan .

8 Likes

Ah, that would definitely make sense when talking to little kids. We tend to do the same thing in English after all with parents and grandparents!

5 Likes

One of my favorite things is “I just saw this in this other manga I’m reading” =D

Another example, from a series often recommended for first-time readers:

42x

Basically, first-time readers who keep on reading will find they encounter it quite a bit over time.

I did the same with my nephews when they were little kids, with me referring to myself as “Uncle Chris”.

7 Likes

I also have a few questions:

Page 87

What is the meaning of the second part of this panel? Here is what I have so far:
パンダのせいで貧乏なのか: Are they (the zoo, I assume?) poverty-stricken because of the panda?
もっと: more, further
他の動物も: also other animals
確かめない: to not check, to not make sure
と: not sure what it means in this context…
So: Don’t check on other animals?

Page 89

I’m mostly unsure about というのに. I think the sentence without というのに means: While we are doing this the cute elephants are perhaps dying from starvation. How does というのに fit into this sentence?

What is Koto saying here? And again… what is と used for in this context? What I have so far:
われ先に: You first
と: ?
パンダに走った: ran to the panda
くせに: though
So: Though you first ran to the panda.

Page 91

Am I correct that Yui is saying: It’s not good (or: It’s forbidden) to give food as one pleases. And is Sacchan then answering: I know. I can’t be helped.
Is this what is going on here? Basically saying, she knows it’s forbidden, but now, as she already brought it, she “has” to give it to the elephant?

Thanks!

6 Likes