Sword Art Online miscellaneous discussion

I think I will read again from the beginning. The last weeks some unexpected things happened and now i got a bad cold… -.-

3 Likes

頑張って!

I’m only on chapter 6 right now. Life also happened on my side, and I gave priority of the little time I still had to WK instead.

I plan to start reading again this weekend, though.

3 Likes

How is SAO going? Anyone still reading besides me? I am taking a break after my first readthrough and reading something else for a bit, but I will probably start back again on a second readthrough in a few weeks…

2 Likes

Yes, still reading. I thought I would update this thread every time I finish a chapter buuuuut, nah that ain’t happening.

I’m in the middle of chapter 7. I’ve been delayed many times by the fact that I don’t want to keep reading if I haven’t emptied my lesson queue, so I read by burst. (I basically read for as long as I feel like, adding all freq 2+ items on the way, then I stop for a few days until I have emptied my queue)

Since I’m here, time to just put in the thought I have had since Chapter 3 (also spoilers about the game Soma I guess) Since that people dying in the game are dying for real, I wonder if they are really in a hospital bed somewhere, or just uploaded personalities, like in the game Soma

3 Likes

I’ve been reading a lot lately. I’m near the end of chapter 22 now and hoping to finish it next week.

Can’t believe I forgot all about the (chapter 22 spoiler) Heathcliff reveal. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Gah, so many spoilers in this thread I can’t read yet…

2 Likes

Nice. Yeah, I did not realize that the first book would get that far into the story. I was shocked that it came so quickly after having seen the show. I figured that was 2-3 books in.

1 Like

Same here. I think the second volume is a collection of stories that take place during the time that the first covers though.

1 Like

In case you’re wondering why, the author supposedly wrote the first volume for a contest, so he couldn’t assume he’d be able to write a sequel. Thus he had to put that stuff into the first volume.(I think that’s the reason he started writing progressive later on too - so he could do something closer to what he initially had wanted to do)

4 Likes

I just finished the first book. I bought it two years ago when I came across it in a store right after starting to study Japanese daily again after a decade long break during which I almost completely forgot how to read. :sweat: I thought it was a somewhat crazy goal at the time but it feels great looking back at how far I’ve come since struggling to read a sentence at a time and stopping to look up every other word.

Anyone planning on reading the second book after this? I’ll probably take a break from the series and go back to オーバーロード first but I’m thinking of reading it after that. My biggest complaint with the book would be how it skips over the first two years of the game and it would be nice to go back and read about some of that period. It was probably the right call in order to end the book where it did though (since a 500+ page book probably wasn’t an option). That said, I really enjoyed the book, more so than I expected even having watched the first couple of seasons of the anime.

2 Likes

Congrats on finishing the book :tada:

Except being a little confused by the fact that the author does a first skip of four months, I didn’t mind it so much. Except if I’m wrong and they are really in a Hospital the whole time; that would not be a reasonable amount of time to just survive on IV drip.

I’m only on chapter 10 right now but I’m enjoying it so far :slight_smile:

I was originally planning to keep the series, but if the first book is indeed self contained, I might stop there.

3 Likes

Congrats. I am gonna read the second book (and probably the 3rd and 4th and 169th), but not for a while (I am re-reading the first a few times because I am strange and think that will help me learn Chinese). Tbh, I am unconvinced that I will want to read the 2nd book as much since it goes back to the same timeline. I wish it had been part of the first story instead, but I get why it happened this way. That said, hopefully my expectations will be wrong, and I will really enjoy it.

(Message to me from discord: Let others join the conversation

This topic is clearly important to you – you’ve posted more than 22% of the replies here.

Are you sure you’re providing adequate time for other people to share their points of view, too?) :upside_down_face::turtle:

@Naphthalene…don’t leave me…:canoe:

5 Likes

Thanks. I think the only reason it bothered me is that I had expected more time on the early-mid floors since that’s how it is in the anime.

2 Likes

I think you meant Discourse :sweat_smile:

Yeah, I have the exact same problem… If you do go ahead, let me know what you think about it.

Yeah, I have a strange issue with this thread. I initially wanted to write a bit of comment on every chapter I read, but was hit with writer’s block. Factor in the fact that time is at a premium right now, and you get me not writing in here at all.

The crazy thing is that I still spend ridiculous amount of time on the forum. It’s just that every message, every reply only takes a few second, so I never feel the same pressure…

2 Likes

i heard there does exist a discord for wk, other than the “japanisation classroom”, but i couldn’t find out the invite link, since tofugu seem to delete liberally here.

There isn’t any specific WK discord servers. There are a few unofficial ones, but they are usually related to something else (e.g. the intermediate Japanese bookclub or Kitsun)

I’m on 3 of those, but 2 are dead right now. (As in, one only has activity from people joining and leaving, and the other one does not even have that)

1 Like

i’m on one, and there’s 3 other actives, and some who occasionally chat a little. 2 of those 3 are already lvl 60 and done with wk.

there’s a line channel, but discord just can’t be beaten these days.

sorry for derailing this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m fairly far in the book, so I can finally start to look at spoilers :sob:

Not really :thinking: The author could have obviously chosed to not do it, but it establishes a bit more her skills and character, gives some explanations about how the world works and gives them some bonding time all in one. I felt a bit weird when she mad him taste something (mayo, I think?) by putting her finger in his mouth.

3 Likes

SO MUCH THAT! Just why??
I mean, I get that she is attracted to him and all that. But why now and not any time sooner?

2 Likes

There is a flashback later that might explain it. I can see why the author chose to save it for that particular scene but I think he should have said something earlier on about why Asuna suddenly wants to spend so much time with Kirito seemingly out of nowhere though.

1 Like