Suppon Nabe - A Firefox Extension

chenning said...

THANK YOU!

This ^

Now I can use all the addons I love AND have a wanikani notifier!

Thanks for looking into it!

That should be sufficient, so if you could post that version I’d appreciate it. Since I won’t be constantly moving it, there’s really no problem that I have to restart the browser :slight_smile:

Also, in case you weren’t sure yet, it is normal that buttons can only be moved while the “customize” menu is open - that is how Firefox has always worked (to avoid someone accidentally moving stuff when they didn’t want to).

I posted the new version even though that bug still bothers me. I just haven’t had time to work on it though…

www.projectvoid.co.uk/suppon_nabe.xpi (again!)

When first installed, it may be in your customize toolbar window. You can drag it to a toolbar. It will be stuck in the init state and you’ll need to restart firefox. A bit obnoxious, but I haven’t figured it out, past potentially moving the icon to the nav bar upon first installation (and first installation only).

I didn’t test it with that add-on, mostly because it’s not compatible with Fedora.

I’ve actually eaten suppon nabe. It’s pretty good!

I haven’t. :x I just wanted a better name than “WaniKani Notifier #34902384”. Plus if I add any not-notifier thing, the name will still apply! Of course, I haven’t done a very good job of that…

Ooh. Forget about that. Haven’t seen there are two more pages, where this thing is covered. Sorry

At first i couldn’t find the SupponNabe Icon anywhere.
I had to drag the add-on item from the menu “view -> symbolbar -> configure” (maybe it’s not symbolbar, i mean the first entry under view, and configure might also be called something else. I dont’t use the english FF version)  into the top bar.

Using FF18 on Ubuntu 12.10

It’s no problem! Obviously, I’m not thrilled with the behavior either.

Despite not really being a javascript person and knowing nothing about Firefox extensions, I thought it’d be pretty easy to fork the repo and add a smaller icon for the statusbar. And it was, although it’s not a perfect match yet (and the way I had to build it in feels pretty stupid, honestly). The statusbar/addon-bar uses a special button class and I haven’t worked out which one yet. After I added that, I tried my hand at the whole doesn’t-add-a-button/you-need-to-restart-twice install situation. And I think I’ve straightened that out.
But in the process I’ve introduced an exciting new bug for Windows users (of which I am one, so I’ve made Suppon Nabe useless to myself): The plugin works fine on first run, but no longer works at all after a browser restart. I’m not throwing my hands up just yet, but I’ve been staring at this thing for days and I can’t think of anything else to try, so if anyone sees this and wants to try and bail me out,

It seems to work perfectly fine in Firefox 19 on Linux Mint, so at least there’s that.
I should have finished one objective before starting on two others, so at least I could have thrown some pull requests back to whataboutclyde’s branch :<br>
Edit: What seems to actually be happening is that the plugin will
only launch correctly if it detects reviews/lessons on its initial check
when Firefox starts, and it was just a coincidence that I had reviews
available when I did the test install/restarts on linux.
I haven’t fixed it yet but at least now I can…uh…stare blankly at a different line.

A belated: Cool! I didn’t really mean to drop the ball, so it’s nice to see someone picked it up. This was my first javascript project (let alone Firefox), so I’m in the same boat you are, but maybe I’ll poke around your changes to see if I can think of anything.

I might stab at it a little more at some point, but work has been stressful and I generally don’t feel like coding when I get home. I’ve barely even kept up with my reviews. Alas. Maybe I’ll be refreshed after my vacation next week…

For three days I’ve been waiting to unlock new lessons so I can confirm/clarify the bug I mentioned in my edit. I’m stumped about how anything in the update function could have possibly caused what I thought I saw last time around so I’m going to wait lest I make it worse. I didn’t expect to be waiting 4+ days, though ;_;

Right. I played around with the error handling in my additions and it seems to have fixed the startup bug I was talking about (looks like my guesses were both off-base/coincidences: startup was silently failing if I’d removed the larger toolbar button). So it seems dependable, but I’ll give it a few days again just in case.

The repo at https://github.com/protospork/suppon_nabe/ is up to date if anyone’s feeling adventurous.

(Sorry about the double post; this seemed important enough for a bump.)

Saw the pull request. I’ll look over it soon, honest! I am such a slacker lately. D:

I, uh. Finally pulled in your changes. I am a terrible terrible person. D:

Just caught the email from Github. I’d pretty much forgotten about the project at this point–I’ve been running it this whole time and it works “well enough for me” so I haven’t been motivated to clean up the remaining little issues I found / introduced.

It’s no problem at all, really. I’ve obviously done the same. Thanks for what you did, though. I just sort of got caught up in other things and it fell by the wayside…

Not a real update - just posting to say that I changed it to SSL. I think. I’m not positive. I guess I’ll find out in two weeks.

I didn’t look hard, but I wasn’t sure if there was another Firefox notifier, hence popping in.

As I won’t really be around WK as much, if there are bugs please utilize github to let me know if there are issues. No promises how quick the turn around will be.

Also, I added it to my skydrive because the boyfriend’s site is sometimes down. Hopefully I did it correctly: http://sdrv.ms/1dZpVzw

Thank you so much! So glad you made a notifier for Firefox, I’ve been looking from time to time for one but it never occurred to me that I could find it here.

My firefox says that the addon doesn’t have a signature and I cannot use it anymore. Any solution? :frowning:

Currently the only fix is to tell firefox to allow unsigned addons.  Since this is open source someone could pull it and sign their own version of it I guess.

Since no one has done it yet, and Firefox will stop allowing unsigned addons for good eventually, I pulled it and signed it myself. You can download it here: https://mega.nz/#!IRo3xJiK!g8rktn4JRd0aUaqnnvwwuF149jcC1rPhu549WShWVnU

Let me know if there are any issues, though I didn’t change anything in the code nor am I the original developer.