Sumo Appreciation Thread (Learn to read kanji the 大相撲 way!)

It just went off.
炎鵬 is really struggling. He is fighting not quite like himself too, but I can’t quite quantify that. And did I hear that he lost 5kg?

栃ノ心 is back in a fit state, but he also is not wrestling quite like himself. I hope he gets his モジョ back.

I didn’t look up today’s results yet to see how 逸ノ城 did today. I need to get out of bed at 3:00 a.m. to see the earlier 力士! (He won, so he is 3/1. )

Also 朝の山 was fighting more like himself today.

2 Likes

All of us language learners hear the word “immersion”. One of the ways to interpret the word is to choose areas of your life, and decide to only use Japanese in that area. 大相撲 happens 90 days of the year. If I want to watch it live, I need to do it in Japanese. This is my immersion.

I made a little PDF sheet with the most common 決まり手. I may add to it a little bit. On television, some of the words are a little more ひらがな, but I used the 漢字 on this sheet.

https://github.com/RoseWagsBlue/Rikishi-Names/blob/master/most%20common%20kimarite.pdf

I will add to this, and post more such in a few days.

3 Likes

Did you mean 大相撲?
→ おおずもう

2 Likes

What ever could you mean? :expressionless:

My excuse: when I type on my laptop, the Kanji are often too small to see if I don’t have them magnified.

1 Like

ごめんね :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A very strange tournament with I believe nine leaders at the halfway point.

Here is an activity for you:
Start with this list, and type the names into your IME to generate the names in kanji.
Then from the list that you make of names in kanji, type the spelling of each name.
Good luck!

朝乃山
あさのやま
栃ノ心
とちのしん
霧馬山
きりばやま
貴景勝
貴景勝
たかけいしょう
must type ki to get the “honorable” character on my machine
正代
しょうだい
大栄翔
だいえいしょう
妙羲龍
みょうぎりょう
御嶽海
みたけうみ
隠岐の海
おきのうみ
照強
てるつよし
隆の勝
たかのしょう
(I get that first character to come up with たかし)
遠藤
えんどう
照ノ富士
てるのふじ
玉鷲
たまわし
高安
たかやす
若隆景
わかたかかげ
差田の海
さだのうみ

かがやき
竜電
りゅうでん

2 Likes

Another fun activity. Here is a list of all of the current 部屋. Can you read the names and type them correctly?

• 浅香山部屋
  • 朝日山部屋
  • 東関部屋
  • 荒汐部屋
  • 伊勢ヶ濱部屋
  • 伊勢ノ海部屋
  • 入間川部屋
  • 追手風部屋
  • 阿武松部屋
  • 大嶽部屋
  • 尾車部屋
  • 尾上部屋
  • 鏡山部屋
  • 春日野部屋
  • 片男波部屋
  • 木瀬部屋
  • 九重部屋
  • 境川部屋
  • 佐渡ヶ嶽部屋
  • 式秀部屋
  • 錣山部屋
  • 高田川部屋
  • 田子ノ浦部屋
  • 立浪部屋
  • 玉ノ井部屋
  • 千賀ノ浦部屋
  • 出羽海部屋
  • 時津風部屋
  • 友綱部屋
  • 鳴戸部屋
  • 西岩部屋
  • 錦戸部屋
  • 二所ノ関部屋
  • 八角部屋
  • 藤島部屋
  • 二子山部屋
  • 陸奥部屋
  • 湊部屋
  • 峰崎部屋
  • 宮城野部屋
  • 武蔵川部屋
  • 山響部屋
1 Like

I recognize the broadcast that you watch. It is sometimes possible to find streamers that have no English on the screen at all.
I am watching a broadcast right at this moment, but I also have my laptop out looking at the kanji in the 力士 names.
Only a few more days left!

1 Like

Did anyone else see the 居反り thrown today?

2 Likes

Hey Verzil,
This is the site I use to watch sumo. He uploads the Juryo and main bouts daily. Very good site.

Here is a link

2 Likes

良かった!大変ありがたい!
宇良の一番見たくて、NHKプラスで見逃しは可能では無かった!

1 Like