Summer Manga Recommendations

trying my hand at making an uncomplicated thread for once :sweat_smile:

I’m looking for some short and summer-y manga series to read! I’m pretty new to reading manga so my knowledge about various series is quite sparse. But in the same vein as reading beach novels, I was hoping someone might be able to provide recommendations for some “beach manga”* that I can devour over the next few weeks/months. *having a beach theme is not actually necessary

It can be any genre (romance, mystery, sci-fi, etc.), but ideally I’d like it to be something that gives you the feeling of summer when you read it :desert_island: I’m also not looking for something with stacks of volumes - under 20 chapters would be great!

For bartering purposes, my own recommendation of a warm summer manga to anyone who might be looking for the same thing is Ano Hana/The Flower We Saw That Day [link] :sunflower:. It’s about a boy who sees the ghost of an old friend quite suddenly because she has a request to make - except she can’t remember what the request was! It has 13 chapters/3 volumes and furigana. It’ll make you laugh and (if you’re a baby like me) give you a very satisfying cry toward the end.

I might also recommend the 君の名は manga for similar reasons (3 volumes, furigana) but having seen the movie and knowing what was going to happen kinda ruined the reading experience for me :sweat_smile:

:pray: Please drop any recommendations you might have! I’m excited to read more manga!

8 Likes

I’m not sure I could define what a “summer-y” manga feels like, but perhaps these:

I read and enjoyed both of those. Three volumes each, 21 and 20 chapters.

4 Likes

Oh gosh, I saw 徒然日和 on the shelves at my bookstore this afternoon, I’ll definitely go back and check it out!

It’s totally unquantifiable hahaha :sob: I would say something that is a short but full story, not something that ends with a frustrating number of unanswered questions. Maybe it’s a little addictive! Like, I can’t wait to see where this goes next, not something that is easy to put down and forget about. And preferably takes place during the summer/warm months, just to add to the overall vibe.

“Beach novels” as far as I’ve seen are usually mysteries, or have a mystery that is solved within a storyline, where the end is satisfying but the story is never gruesome. The other details are really up in the air, they can be any type of story. This is all very unscientific :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

リンゴに蜂蜜 by 秀良子 is a single-volume BL manga I read recently that includes two stories that are both set during the summer (bonus: the first one does have a beach scene)

I was also thinking 晴れのち四季部 by ひのた (adorable dumbass4dumbass 4-koma BL comedy, think GSNK but gayer), which has currently got 3 volumes, but as the title suggests, it’s not just summer but all the seasons. It is one of my absolute faves though

One of the first manga I read was GREEN 〜農家のヨメになりたい〜 which is a 4-vol romance set on a farm in the countryside. It may not exactly be summery-summery, but I do think of summer when I think of it

5 Likes

*adds all of these to my cart*

thank you, I’m so excited to read your recs!! idk how i’ve never read BL manga before but these all sound sooo fun

1 Like

サマータイムレンダ. It’s got “summer” in the name. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s thirteen volumes, though. English release by Udon Entertainment squished those in to six.

2 Likes

おこしやす、ちとせちゃん is completely adorable and, though it’s about a penguin, totally makes me think of summer because it’s just so cute and light.

The series has 7 volumes so far, but they are all really short and the story is episodic, so you can just pick up 1 or 2 volumes and see if you like it.

Volume 1 appears to be free to read on Amazon.co.jp right now (until 05/21/2023 23:59 JST), so maybe check it out?

1 Like

Summer…

Recs

This one looks longer but the chapters are pretty short:

Batsuichi de Nakimushi na Otonari-san | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

It feels like summer because it is refreshing, though it starts a bit sad.

This is a bit longer, but it’s a quick read, though there are some harsh topics:

Blue Hearts | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

It’s from Relife’s author, in case you read that, but a simpler highschool story. Lots of hope in this one.

Ugh, I’ll just leave this here even though it’s like 70 chapters so far:

Flying Witch | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

It’s super summery. ;-; they’re quick chapters at least. Very sunny and warm.

Tedama ni Toritai Kurokiya-san | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

This one, maybe?

If we’re talking summer, then it has to be Yotsuba, honorary mention cause it’s long:

Yotsuba to! (Yotsuba&!) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Pretty cute short stories:

Bocchi na Bokura no Renai Jijou | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Boku wa Hajikko ga Suki | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Bokura no Shokutaku (Our Dining Table) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Bus Hashiru. (The Bus Takes You and Runs.) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Futari no Renai Shoka | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Ganbare! Nakamura-kun!! (Go For It, Nakamura!) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Kanojo wa Rokurokubi | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Kimi no Okaasan wo Boku ni Kudasai! | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai (I Want to Eat Your Pancreas) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Kyou, Curry! | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Nanairo Sekai | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Natsuyuki Rendezvous | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Tokidoki | One-shot - MyAnimeList.net

Yajirobee | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Bit tense:

Kamisama ga Uso wo Tsuku. (The Gods Lie.) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Classics:

Jumyou wo Kaitotte Moratta. Ichinen ni Tsuki, Ichimanen de. | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Omoide Emanon (Emanon: Memories of Emanon) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Great slice of life:

Emperor to Issho (The Emperor and I) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Kind of weird stuff:

Gekogeko | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Imomushi Shoujo to Comyushou Danshi | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Kodomo wa Wakatte Agenai | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Nostradamus Love | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Ookumo-chan Flashback | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Summery if a bit long, like fireworks:

Inu Neko Jump! | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Sankarea (Sankarea: Undying Love) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Sen wa, Boku wo Egaku (The Lines that Define Me) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Uh, summer longing?

Fujimi Lovers (Undead Lovers) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

My Broken Mariko | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Naka-san no Nagare | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Shiki no Zenjitsu (The Wedding Eve) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Solanin | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Subarashii Sekai (What a Wonderful World!) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Suiiki | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Again, only 7 volumes of 1 page chapters, colorful:

Mousou Telepathy | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Don’t know how you feel about manhwa or if this is specifically for reading in Japanese, but:

Nineteen, Twenty-One | Manhwa - MyAnimeList.net

Quintessential summer:

Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Just that vibe:

Seishun Forget! | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Tetsugaku Letra | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Joshikausei (Joshi Kausei) | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

Kotonoba Drive | Manga - MyAnimeList.net

I’m sorry. :face_holding_back_tears:

4 Likes

omg just scrolling the panels from the first chapter made me laugh, this seems like an interesting read :skull: (adding to wishlist)

can’t guarantee i won’t tap out after just a few volumes but I’m happy to try lol

this art style is so cute omg :sob: i’m excited to read it

THIS LIST IS A DREAM COME TRUE, THANK YOU!!!

edit: apologies to the natively global feed as i blast my wishlist with everything here

5 Likes

Laughter would have been the last emotion I would expect from that series, ngl. It’s a supernatural drama. It’s great tho, it got an anime last summer(+ spring I think, it was a 25 episode one)

1 Like

i was scanning the art style and really it was the seemingly totally out of place close up panty shot that made me laugh but i look forward to the drama then lol

1 Like

Ah yeah, don’t worry it’s plot relevant :joy:(very small maybe-spoiler just to be safe)

2 Likes

really having a great time inundating natively’s Book Request feature with all of the series they’re missing

this thread has quickly become a great resource for my future reading binges ( ‾́ ◡ ‾́ )

10 Likes