Suggestions for Movies that Use Standard Japanese? (Pitch Practice)

put steins gate on repeat and learn to speak like daru.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I decided to go with 天気の子 since it’s a movie and takes place in Tokyo. Also, it’s easier for me to sit down and watch a full movie vs multiple episodes. I’ll definetly keep these suggestions in mind after I’ve watched 天気の子 a million times lol that way I have something new to add in.

4 Likes

On a related note: does anyone have suggestions for live action dramas or movies with accents?

1 Like

I’ve seen a bit of Galileo and Signal and I liked them. I think they’re both detective dramas. As for other dramas, Doctor X (a medical drama) also looked interesting, and so did Confidence Man JP (it’s about conmen who sometimes act a bit like Robin Hood). I’m not sure how good they are for studying accents though. Speech in dramas is usually a little harder to decipher than speech in anime because anime voice actors speak straight into a microphone, but I guess it’s more realistic that way.

1 Like

I’m already watching the Korean version of Signal, but I’ll check out the other ones! Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve been doing a translation of an Asadora named Teppan, where almost every character speaks in either Hiroshima-ben or Osaka-ben. It’s been… entertaining.

Actually, every second Asadora is filmed in Kansai, so I imagine they’d all come with the accent, though I haven’t checked whether they’re actually set in Kansai. Every other one is filmed in Kanto.

I was watching 天気の子 and one of the main characters said 雪じゃね… Seeing how I’m trying to make sure most of the dialogue is standard Japanese, is the replacement of だ for じゃ something that occurs? Or is it possible the character is using a different dialect? If you’ve seen 天気の子 the character is Nagi, the younger brother. Thanks.

It could be 雪じゃない in Shitamachi, but without context, I couldn’t be sure.

Is it streaming somewhere?

1 Like

It looks like it is. I did a quick search and it’s on Animeflix. The clip of him saying “ゆきじゃね” is an hour and four minutes in (1:04:00). He speaks a lot more earlier in the show though, if you wanted to hear more of his voice maybe go to 50:45.

Yeah, it’s じゃない in the slangy/masculine ~あい-becomes-~ええ accent. “Isn’t that snow?”

1 Like

Is that something to worry about, in terms of his dialect the whole movie? Or is it just situational? I’m probably too focused on this, but I’d prefer that I don’t end up watching a movie 100+ times and find out that there’s a good amount of the movie that isn’t in standard Japanese. Plus, since I’m pretty new to this I can’t really figure this out for myself sadly.

There’s a good amount of real-world speech that’s not in standard Japanese either. People in actual Tokyo say ~ええ too, so it’s not like you’re listening to a weird anime-only dialect. Plus, it’s still a form of Tokyo-ben, so I don’t think the pitch accent is any different. That I’m aware of.

1 Like

Yeah, that makes sense. Thank you! I appreciate you taking some time to look at this a little bit for me.

Sorry to bother you again lol, but I had a quick question. I noticed that instead of using 高い, Hodaka says “たっけ” instead, or “たっけー”. Is this similar to what you were talking about earlier with the 雪じゃね? Or is it something else?

Also, one more quick question. I’m not sure if this is just a grammer thing, but I also hear him say:
東京ってすげえー Is this unique, having to do with dialect? Or is it a grammer thing? I hear him several other times using って instead of what I would have thought は would be used. He normally uses it when he says 東京 is something, so すげえ or 怖え (“東京って怖えな”). I’m sure I heard it elsewhere, but this has stood out every time I’ve watched.

Sorry for dragging you back into this.

Thank you.

1 Like

(I hope you don’t mind me answering but) It sounds like his speech is very masculine, which I think it pretty normal unless it’s a formal setting.

http://maggiesensei.com/2016/11/05/male-speech/

Here’s an article on how Japanese boys speak and I think everything is a derivative of Tokyo-ben.

3 Likes

Yeah, @sorrakixc’s link contains the general idea, but to address these specific questions:

たかい to たけえ is masculine speech, but the addition of the small っ simply makes it more emphatic, and that works for either gender - たっかい = “whoa, that’s tall!” sort of thing.

Using って as a casual form of the は particle is also fairly common, for either gender.

1 Like

@sorrakixc Thanks for the link, I’ll check that out.

@Belthazar Awesome, thank you! This helps a lot.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.