Suggestion for new "kanji": ヶ

As you are probably already aware of, ヶ is a common character in Japanese, usually used in the counter ヶ月, but also used in some other words. WaniKani already has the counters for years, days, and weeks, but not months, which is kind of weird. Additionally, introducing ヶ月 into WaniKani would help reinforce that 〜月 is not a counter for months.

I know what you’re thinking. “ヶ isn’t a kanji! It’s just a symbol!” While that is true, WaniKani already teaches a non-kanji symbol, which is 々. If 々 can be taught, then I think ヶ also deserves to be taught, especially since it’s used in the exact same way as kanji.

14 Likes

Not necessarily a bad idea but the inconvenient with ヶ is that in isolation it looks exactly like katakana ケ which is confusing.

I also suspect that the reason that WK bothered introducing 々 on its own is simply because they needed it for the vocabulary, but there’s no such need for ヶ.

Still, it’s common enough that it may be a worthwhile addition.

2 Likes

It looks like a kana in isolation, but there are already lots of characters like that, like 口 and 力. Is this really any different?

6 Likes

It’ not only “looks” but is actually encoded as small katakana ヶ (instead of what it actually is: 个, the simplified variant of 箇).

It’s like people writing “ye” instead of “þe”, the lack of the correct printing typeface forced the replacement of one character by another.
And even if electronic encoding has the “correct” one available, fonts are not designed to handle that.
It just evolved and changed.

It’s a different case of 口、力、etc. that are properly encoded.

6 Likes

Isn’t it already taught in vocabulary?

What’s the plus of adding it as kanji?

No, it’s a kanji. Or at least a simplification of one.

个 is a simplification of 個. Which, to be fair, is itself a vairant of 箇, but the point is that ヶ is directly derived from 箇 - it’s the left half of the 竹 radical on top.

Which vocabulary, exactly? :slightly_smiling_face:

Teaching that it’s read as か or が or こ, and not け.

10 Likes

Never mind, lol.

Well, adding vocabulary with these readings would do the same.

2 Likes

It’s in a fair number of town names I see around. Thing is, I’m not sure what you would put for the “meaning”

I’d put the same meaning as 箇 – something like “counter for articles”

Possibly would need additional meanings or clarification though

2 Likes

In place names, it’s basically the particle の. 茅ヶ崎 = the cape of reeds, 霞ヶ関 = the barrier of mist. Et cetera.

Insofar as place names can be said to have meanings. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

“What is that? A kanji for ants!?

– Derek Zoolander, probably

5 Likes

No, the kanji for ants is 蟻. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Naruto-ass name

5 Likes

It’s the same が as the one in 我が〜 (WK L30) – the old usage from when it used to have the same meaning の does in modern Japanese.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be weird to suddenly introduce a new symbol into vocabulary?

I love and hate you. Also thank you for making it worth it to know the kanji for ari

1 Like