Suggestion: Add "escape" to the meanings of 脱

I have recently come across this kanji, and I propose that “escape” (or “escape from”) should be one of its allowed meanings.

If we take a look at the vocab, most of them make more sense with “escape (from)” as the meaning rather than “undress”.

• digression: When the conversation escape from the line it was supposed to follow.
  • omitted character: When the character has escaped from the character.
  • tax evasion: When you try to escape from paying the taxes
  • jail break: when you escape from jail.
  • deviate: you deviate or escape from the plan.

Only “to undress” and “Undressing” follow the “undress” meaning, and it makes the mnemonics awkward.

“But MQM”, you might say, “it’s important to have this meaning be different from the Lv. 38 kanji 逃 which means escape.”

And if that was actually a guideline that WK followed, then I would agree that it’s not worth to break that rule just for this kanji, but WK doesn’t follow this rule!

Take a look at this:

If multiple kanjis having the same meaning was an issue, then there wouldn’t be 3 kanji with the primary meaning “Judge”. This is just the most fitting example I’ve found, but there’s numerous other occurences, like 坊 and 僧 which both accept “priest” and “monk”.

This concludes my proposal.

6 Likes

脱進機 - literal escapement wheel :joy:

1 Like

@Mods Escape should be an alternative meaning.

1 Like

Thanks for the ping and thanks @MQM for your suggestion! I’ll pass this along and let you know what the team say.

Updated: We added “escape” to the allow list for .

4 Likes

But not secondary meaning?

Allowing it just means people who know that’s what it means will get it right, which is something. But people who don’t, won’t learn it.

1 Like

We didn’t add it for now as, in general, we want learners to focus on the meaning which later serves as the keyword for vocabulary mnemonics. We are considering changing some of the mnemonics though to include ‘escape’ so we might make it a secondary meaning then.

1 Like

Can I just say, for all the seemingly non-thought-out changes to WK for the last year or so, the “content update” teams changes have almost always seemed reasonable and well-thought-out, and response to feedback is swift. Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

If possible, Kanji meanings and alternate meanings should be helpful with vocabularies whether or not in WaniKani. Multiple meanings, if the Kanji has to. Nonetheless, I can join the dots between undress and escape.

It’s not only about mnemonics (unlike radicals).

1 Like