Sudden trouble seeing the curveballs

[sorry for any confusion… edited for clarification]

For whatever it’s worth, I found only 2 instances of 自転車 used with する via gr.jp, and they are in the form “自転車にする”. The two instances come from books, one published in 1984, the other in 1999. There are no instances of 自転車する or 自転車をする, which are the forms you might expect for “to bicycle” if that was a common form.

Compare that to 314 instances of 自転車に乗* and 6 instances of 自転車を乗*

1 Like

自転車にする would be “decide on a bike” wouldn’t it? The にする grammar point.

You can’t をする a bike.

1 Like

Snippet 1:

…こで思いついたのがつぎのような方法である。 家から駅までの道のりは、バスをやめて自転車にすること。また、会社のある国電の駅の一つ手前で降り、歩くことにしたのである。時間にし…

Snippet 2:

…ース、言葉の暴力はどうしたらよいかなど深刻なケースの話も多い。が反面、移動手段を自転車にすると、利用者から買い物の量を増やされたり、あちこちの店に行かされたという話や、お茶…

I’m just a beginner, but to me both of those snippets seem like they could be “decide on biking”.

Anyway, the Konoha website looks pretty neat; I can’t wait till I know enough to use it properly.

Yeah, I see no reason to think it’s not “decide on a bike.”

I agree. And those two were the only instances of 自転車 used with する. No instances of 自転車する or 自転車をする.

Thanks for this!
Yeah, I was expecting 自転車する, as if bike could stand nearly on it’s own like other する verbs. Thanks for clearing this up… My that’s quite infrequent!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.