Stylized Kanji

So, supposedly, kanji came originally from pictures - for example, the kanji for river, started out as a picture for river, and over the years, eventually became the kanji that we know today: 川

However, in a lot of mangas and logos, there’s times when the process goes the other way, where the kanji is modified based on the meaning of the kanji, some have a humorous twist, and are kind of like… visual puns! I’ve provided some examples below. Have you seen anything similar?? Post pictures of logos that you’ve seen!

230px-YuYu_Hakusho_volume_1

Summary

Often, souls are depicted using flames. Here 幽 has parts of it replaced with flames…

Summary

湯 (hot water) has it’s “wing” portion replaced with the typical onsen symbol, and 楽 has parts replaced with music notes.

nekodegomen

Summary

The kanji for cat (猫) has been stylized to gook like a cat. The tenten was replaced with cat paws, and the ん has been modified to have a cat tail

dinosaur%20carnival

Summary

恐竜 (dinosaur) has been re-stylized to look more dinosaurish - with a tail!

half%20boiled%20hero

Summary

half-boiled hero - part of the 半got replaced with an egg

kyojin%20no%20hoshi

Summary

I think this one is kind of common, but the sun (日) radical in star (星) is replaced with a star. Same for the one below this.

urusei%20yatsura

tsukin%20kaisoku

Summary

This is a play on words - the original word 快速 (kaisoku) is an express train, but literally means pleasant speed. 快足 can also be pronounced kaisoku - and means pleasant feet - and the top portion of foot (足) has been replaced with a foot - ironically I believe the bottom portion of the kanji was actually the foot…

yubi%20tore%20mashiin

Summary

Here, ゆび (finger) has been replaced with fingers…The one below this also has the push (押) kanji modified to look like a finger…

15 Likes

Ick! The ゆび one is creepy!

But cool idea in general; I’d love to see more :grinning:

5 Likes

ramen

Summary

I had to look up the kanji for ramen (拉麺)to get this one…good thing it said ramen at that top :joy:

5 Likes

these are really cool!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.