Study Log of a Wild Eoame 🐺

13th of June to the 19th of June

Japanese progress

Didn’t do too badly this week. Honestly, my main goal was to do at least some of my habitual tasks without it feeling like a huge drag. I remember back in 2020 I enjoyed grammar work more than almost anything else, because hand writing answers to the exercise questions while listening to music was oddly relaxing. Doing Kamesame was even more enjoyable, because it was easy and fun to handwrite the kanji. (When I finish Wanikani, I’ll continue with Kamesame at a much slower pace, as output and hand writing practice.) Basically, I want studying Japanese daily to feel as fun as it did back then — I’m working on it.

This time last week, I had a review pile of about 400 items. This morning it was at 41, though now it’s risen back to 125. I’ll be able to get it back down to 0 tomorrow morning.
Leeches are at 39 at the moment. Throughout the week it ranged from 40-60, which is… not good. I noticed that the more consistent I am, the less leeches I have and the easier it is to keep up with WK. Good thing I went fast early on, because it was a lot less difficult to be consistent back then than it is now.

I completed a few sections of Tobira on Tuesday and Thursday, but the rest of the week I didn’t manage to make time. I think I’ll be able to finish the workbook exercises for Chapter 2 by the end of next week, so let’s make that a goal.

With reading, I progressed a fair bit — finally picked up かがみの孤城 and read it for more than fifteen minutes for the first time in a long while. I think I read for about an hour on Thursday and another hour today. I was at 6% before; now I’m at 10%, which is pretty good considering it’s a long book (384 pages according to the WK book club).
It didn’t feel like a drag, either. This is probably partly due to me changing my reading method. I used to simultaneously have the Bookwalker app open on my phone and DeepL on my laptop, so I could search up anything I needed to. The problem with this was it got annoying having to put my phone down every single time I wanted to check something or look up some unknown word/phrase/kanji.
I don’t know how I never thought about using split-screen on my laptop instead… it is a ton less bothersome and time-wasting. Anyway, hopefully the added ease of use will cause my ‘mental block’ towards reading in Japanese to be reduced. Seems to be working so far.

My immersion for the past week or so has been entirely unscripted and unsubtitled, so I’ve been focusing a lot more on trying to understand. I can already notice things I’m picking up!

How studying has been going

I haven’t begun revising at all yet, but I went through my exercise books as well as several textbooks and noted down all the topics I need to master for next term’s big exams in Google Sheets. So far I’ve done that for maths, physics and half of psychology.
This is to create the retrospective timetable I talked about a couple of posts back. I meant to begin using it at the start of this term, but never found the time to sit down and create it properly. It takes a surprising amount of time to write a list of topics that aren’t too specific so that the giant list is overwhelming, and isn’t too general and vague.
Anyway, I’m doing most of the work before the term begins, so that to keep up with it and use it, all I need to do is consistently update newly learned topics and the date. Not too difficult. I’ll see whether it helps me with studying efficiently and effectively next term or not!

GOAL REFLECTING/SETTING

• Honestly, my sleep schedule has been messed up this week. Even with the sunrise challenge, most days this week I woke up to take a picture, share it then simply went back to sleep :sweat_smile:. Or I just didn’t sleep enough. Oops… right after I write this I’ll be turning off my devices and winding down before bed, so I’ll be able to sleep at 10pm, get enough sleep and also wake up early.
  • I’ll say this has mostly been a success, though reading is not yet a daily habit!
  • Didn’t quite manage to start, but I’ve been (fairly) consistently making progress to do that.

My goals for next week will be the same thing, but I’m adding another: finishing Tobira Chapter 2 workbook exercises, so I can finally move onto Chapter 3.

4 Likes

Checklist for the 20th of June to the 26th of June

Reading
Immersion (Japanese)
Grammar (Tobira)
Vocabulary (Anki)
Speaking (tutor)

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
Study
Chinese (vocab)
Immersion (Chinese)
かがみの孤城 Log

Mon: Page 41 to 42. [1]
Tue: Page 43 to page 49. [2]
Wed: Page 50 to page 51. [3]
Thu:
Fri:
Sat:
Sun:

Unit 1 Revision Log

Mon: Started and completed RRT for Chemistry.
Tue:
Wed:
Thu:
Fri:
Sat:
Sun:

1. Page 64 on mobile, 12% ↩︎

2. Page 73 on mobile, 13% ↩︎

3. Page 77 on mobile, 13% ↩︎

3 Likes

Cool.

Doing well Ookami san :slight_smile:

Is your field trip to Japan with your classmates happening?

After fluffing the last two times on Burn reviews, I finally burned “Wolf” Kanji a few days ago. :joy:

4 Likes

Last month everyone started talking about it again… I was surprised when people began randomly mentioning the Japan trip to me. Turns out there’s an actual chance of us going this December. To be honest I’m expecting it to be cancelled or postponed again, so if it actually ends up happening, it’ll be a nice surprise :joy:

Especially since my family was supposed to be in Canberra this week, finally seeing snow for the first time in years and skiing — that was cancelled last minute, for reasons other than COVID.

How’s the WK grind been going?? We may reach Level 60 at around the same time if you’re still progressing :eyes:

4 Likes

Let’s hope the Japanese trip happens :crossed_fingers:

People are saying Japan won’t close the borders because it is hard for them to sustain another financial hit due to lack of tourism.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get another chance soon :slight_smile:

I have not made much progress last month due to work. Mostly clearing reviews. I am finally learning L51 Kanji now. So, you might complete WK before me :joy:

4 Likes

My speed went from 8 days throughout the Painful/Death levels to a huge mess in the Hell levels, a slightly steadier ~15 days in Paradise and now 28 days for the last three levels :sweat_smile: even if I finish before you it likely won’t be by much lol

3 Likes

Hahaha.

Slow and Steady it is :laughing:

3 Likes

20th of June to the 26th of June

Japanese progress

Not quite back to my consistent routine, but getting there… sort of.

WK has been going good though! Levelled up to 52 last night (30 days for Level 51, damn…) and this morning (yesterday morning?) I was amazed to see only 31 apprentice items, with 9 leeches! Although I did 0 reviews on Thursday (went for a uni open day with friends, and stayed in the city until late night), the pile wasn’t too hard to cut down. By 8am tomorrow I’ll have 122 reviews, which I can do in one session if I have the time — I’m away from home on a small road trip at the moment, and due to a few reasons relating to that it’s harder to find the time to do a large amount of WK reviews at certain times of the day. I’ll do my best.

On Monday I stayed at the public library for a few hours, and because I’d forgotten to bring my subject notebooks, I did Tobira for nearly the entire time :joy:. So I ended up completing five or so sections then. I think there’s only two more sections left until I’ve finished all the Chapter 2 workbook questions. Those will have to wait until I get back home.

I didn’t read as much of かがみの孤城 as I wanted to this week, but that’s okay. In total I read ten pages, which isn’t too bad in hindsight. There’ll be a new read every day challenge starting in four days, so I’ll be easier on myself until then.

Study

Didn’t do anything this week :grimacing:. After I return home, I’ll try to start implementing setting aside half an hour each day to revise a few topics.

Goal reflecting/setting

• I went to sleep earlier this week, but also had to wake up super early most days, so ended up not getting enough sleep. Interestingly it’s a lot easier to go to bed early when I’m away from home (for example, it’s only 9:18pm right now but I’m already writing this as a part of winding down before bed), so this mini trip can act like a reset to my rhythm, and hopefully make it easier to adjust my sleep schedule to an earlier time once I get back. Anyway, same goal: bedtime at 10:30, wake up at 6:30.
  • Same goal: read かがみの孤城 daily.
  • Also same goal (not making that much progress am I?): set aside half an hour each day to do focused revision.
  • I nearly finished Chapter 2 workbook exercises this week, so next week’s goal will be finishing all Chapter 3 reading sections, and learning/going through half of the grammar points.
3 Likes

Checklist for the 27th of June to the 3rd of July

Reading
Immersion (Japanese)
Grammar (Tobira)
Vocabulary (Anki)
Speaking (tutor)

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
Study
Chinese (vocab)
Immersion (Chinese)
かがみの孤城 Log