Study Log of a Wild Eoame 🐺

21st of March to the 27th of March

Yet again my bad time management strikes again, and I still have a fair bit of my last assignment to work on, LOL.
I already wrote a summary on Wednesday, so I’ll just review what I wanted to complete:

• Finishing Chapter 5 of 銭天堂? I only have four pages left, which would take me only ten minutes. So I’ll definitely be able to finish it either tonight or tomorrow.
  • In Chapter 1 of the Tobira workbook, I only have one more set of exercises o to finish, and then the quicker ones at the very end. Should be able to quickly do that tomorrow as well.
  • Right now I have 145 reviews in WK. Not bad considering I wasn’t able to have a big review session this morning, as well as on Friday. It’s a lot easier to shrink review piles now — I still remember how hard it was after last year’s exam block in Term 3.

Back to completing that assignment now… then I’m officially done with graded work for the term :partying_face:

4 Likes

Checklist for the 28th of March to the 3rd of April

Reading
Immersion (Japanese)
Grammar (Tobira)
Vocabulary (Anki)
Speaking (tutor)

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
Chinese (vocab)
Immersion (Chinese)
4 Likes

28th of March to the 3rd of April

I’m actually on a week-long trip now, so I won’t be studying all that much this week. Yesterday I had an extremely busy but fun day, so I didn’t do any studying then either.

A list of what I did lol
  • Woke up at 5:30am to chat with a WK friend for an hour
  • Took the train to a neighbouring city for a day out with friends, and stayed until 8:30pm
  • Arrived home at 10pm and began sorting through the never ending photos and videos taken in the 12 hour period (entirely our fault)
  • Went through the 200 plus videos I took and began making a summary video on Adobe Premiere Pro, of which the only experience I have is doing the tutorials
  • Finally finished at 4:30am and attempted to begin packing for a week-long trip (which I half managed to do, because my brain was practically dead by that point)
  • Slept at 6am and woke up at 7am

But I have NO regrets, because yesterday was the most fun I’ve had since the September trip last year. Also, creating that video in such a short time span was definitely a great and satisfying challenge, and I learned how to do a lot of things in Premiere Pro through that.

The result of working for 9 hours on Friday starting from 6am, a completely full day on Saturday (literally; I didn’t sleep for 24 hours :sweat_smile:) and today’s busy morning (accompanied by physical and mental exhaustion from sleep deprivation) was a build-up of 379 reviews on WK :grimacing:. Just as I had worked the pile from exams back down, too. Lol.

I’m currently on Chapter 6 of 銭天堂. Let’s see whether I can finish the book within three days. I meant to finish before the Spring reading challenge started, but didn’t manage that.

I’m on Chapter 2 of Tobira now! Finally finished all the Chapter 1 exercises in the workbook, so I can move on. I’ll only start doing Tobira again after the trip, though.

How do I even fit school study in… I need to revise maths, and catch up on bookwork from last week that I didn’t fully understand. Practically my entire two week holiday is filled already, but I’ll try my best.

And I also want to create a video on Premiere Pro for this trip. Don’t even ask why I’m doing this to myself… I have far too many hobbies.

5 Likes

Checklist for the 4th of April to the 10th of April

Reading
Immersion (Japanese)
Vocabulary (Anki)

Chinese (vocab)
Immersion (Chinese)
4 Likes

Sounds like fun :raised_hands:

Hope you had a great trip Ookami san :smiley:

Do make sure to get enough rest :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

4th of April to the 17th of April

I guess I’ll be documenting two weeks’ worth of time in this, lol. I didn’t post last week because I was on a three-day camp. Obviously I didn’t do much study while I was away from home, but I did get a lot of reading done in the days that I were.

I actually finished 銭天堂 on the 8th of March, started 君ノ声 (a manga recommended by my Japanese friend to me around two months ago) the next day and just finished it today! From tomorrow onwards I’ll continue reading かがみの孤城. I started it while on the camp, when I didn’t have any reception, so I was just reading it raw and skipping over anything I didn’t understand. Surprisingly I could understand most of the 19 pages I read. Probably missed a lot of details, but that’s okay.

I can’t say I’ve been productive in terms of studying for school, but I have for reading in Japanese lol. I think I’ve been spending around an hour each day reading, for the past few days, which is a huge difference compared to my average of ten minutes last term while reading 銭天堂. With かがみの孤城、I’ll try to make spending half an hour a day on reading in Japanese a habit when school starts again.

Unrelated to Japanese, but I’ve also been reading quite a lot in English as well. I haven’t done that for… a while. I’d banned myself from reading while school was on because it caused me to stay up far too late, but it also kind of killed my habit of reading at night.

For Wanikani: I didn’t do many lessons while on the trip, and since I had no service on the three-day camp I didn’t do any reviews for two days and lost my streak of 310 days, lol. So for the past few days I’ve been playing catch-up. Got 227 reviews in the pile at the moment, which isn’t too bad.

Current stats, because why not:

Tobira? I got up to reading through the grammar points today. I think I’ll be able to finish the rest of them tomorrow, and then from Tuesday onwards I can slowly go through the workbook exercises.

So, extra studying for school. Haven’t been doing that at all over the holiday period. I’ll do a bit of chemistry today, but I should start making it a habit again.

As for that video, haven’t touched it for a few days, but I’ll see if I can work on it tonight :sweat_smile:. I know my future self will thank me for doing so, so why not.

4 Likes

Checklist for the 18th of April to the 24th of April

Reading
Immersion (Japanese)
Grammar (Tobira)
Vocabulary (Anki)
Speaking (tutor)

Study
Chinese (vocab)
Immersion (Chinese)
4 Likes

18th of April to the 24th of April

A chunk of text mostly unrelated to Japanese
It’s currently 1am, I’d forgotten to update here, and my brain is still not ready to go to sleep. So here I am, typing away.

This week was… interesting. First week of school, and on Friday I got sick. I felt fatigued and a little feverish, so despite my intentions to get all my homework done on Friday and have the entire weekend free, all I could do was read some こころの孤城 and turn up to my pre-booked online tutor session.
I felt better on Saturday, but wasted all day doing things that were… not my priorities. But I did write up a retrospective timetable* on Saturday and on Sunday revised two Physics topics from last year, which I had mostly forgotten.

I then spent the rest of my time editing a video for the first half of that trip I went on (long overdue lol). I’m planning to finish it by tomorrow. The reason for that… I want to make another video for the second half of the trip, and this week I’ll be going on another short weekend holiday with family friends. That’s another video I’ll want to make.

Better do all this fun stuff while I have time, before I have to devote my life almost completely to assignments and studying again for a few weeks.

I suppose I have to follow up on this.

For English I got: 23/25. Over the past two years, I’ve gotten the exact same marks: either 22 or 23. I can say at least that my writing skills aren’t deteriorating, but… I’d like to get full marks at least once.
For Japanese: 28/30. Lost those marks for some detail I forgot to add when analysing, and for ‘maintaining conversation.’ Just little things I know how to improve next exam — just have to make sure I don’t forget anything.
For Chemistry: 20/20. This was definitely the assignment I spent the most time on, excluding English. I checked I was meeting all the criteria points at least ten times and basically did all I could to make sure I didn’t lose any points. That paid off for sure. Lesson learnt: Focus. On. The. Criteria.
For Physics: 18/20. I know where I went wrong. Time management, as usual. The assignment was due the same morning as the maths exam, and although I’d planned to finish it one week earlier so I could focus completely on studying for the exam, I really didn’t do that at all. I’m just relieved it’s in the A range at least. Especially since I was coming from a D last term, in Term 4… yep.
For maths: 11/15. That’s a B. Honestly, I did worse than I thought I would. But I’ll be working on using my time more efficiently this term, as well as consistency in studying and doing revision before exams, so I do know what to do to improve.
For psychology: Apparently the psychology teachers are extremely slow markers.

Overall? I’m not extremely disappointed in myself, but I know I could have done better. I’ll continue to improve over this term and the coming terms.
Seems like this term will be a fun one, anyway. I get to write a travel itinerary for Japan as my Japanese assignment, and a narrative for English. :joy:

*retrospective timetable

I found out about something called a retrospective (study) timetable this week. It’s the opposite of a conventional timetable, where subjects have planned study times throughout the week.
Conventional study timetables have never worked for me. My week is usually not consistent, and I don’t have the power to plan my week completely to my liking — so I think the retrospective timetable might change the game for me.

I think the original source would offer a more helpful explanation of what a retrospective timetable is than I could. So I’ll just link a text version and a video version here.

Japanese progress
I said I would be going through the workbook exercises by Tuesday last week. I did finish reading through all the grammar points on Wednesday, but never started the exercises in the workbook.
I’ll give myself until the end of next week to finish Chapter 2 completely then.

Level 49 is turning out to be my second longest level yet. I’d say that’s because of the nearly consecutive trips I had at the beginning of this month, but it’s also because of my decreased motivation for Wanikani last week. Basically I didn’t do any morning sessions (usually my biggest review session) for a few days in a row, which meant it became harder to hack at the pile I had previously amassed and get it back down to 0. Currently I have 284 pending reviews.
I think I’ll be levelling up in two days, though.

Welp, I spent exactly an hour writing this. My mind is now satisfied and ready for sleep.

3 Likes

Checklist for the 25th of April to the 1st of May

Reading
Immersion (Japanese)
Grammar (Tobira)
Vocabulary (Anki)
Speaking (tutor)

Study
Chinese (vocab)
Immersion (Chinese)
3 Likes

25th of April to the 1st of May

Didn’t so much make good progress academically and in Japanese. I did have a lot of fun instead, and will be enjoying myself tomorrow as well. Lol.

I wasn’t even at school the first half of the week. Monday was a public holiday, I skipped Tuesday because I was still sick, and Wednesday was cross country. I got a lot of video editing and study done on Monday, and Tuesday was spent doing the work I had missed (although I stayed up much too late reading, and so also woke up late). Same thing happened on Wednesday. On Thursday I stayed back after school with friends studying, and got a decent chunk of work done. Also got my new drone that night :partying_face:

Friday I worked the full nine hours, and also flew the drone for the first time afterwards :smiling_face:. Spent my entire Saturday with family and family friends, today I worked almost full day again (shift got extended), and then tomorrow (another public holiday) I will be playing badminton with my coworkers and then hanging out with my friend for the rest of the morning and afternoon.

I have to admit I spent far, far too much time reading in the hours between 10pm and 2am for a number of days, and the result of that was getting a definitely far too low amount of sleep :joy:. I finished what, three or four novels this week, only reading in the ungodly hours of the night. Whoops.
I’m currently running on 5 and a half hours of sleep, and will be going to bed in about an hour so I can refresh my exhausted mind, sore legs, social battery and mood for tomorrow. I’m planning to get some productive work done tomorrow morning (and also perhaps fly my drone again) before having fun completely guilt-free.

Very easy to tell I have barely edited this post. 'Tis a good enough update for this chaotic week :joy:

Since tomorrow will mark n exactly one year since I started this study log, and also my birthday, I’ll write another summary tomorrow about my Japanese progress in that time, etc.

2 Likes

Checklist for the 2nd of May to the 8th of May

Reading
Immersion (Japanese)
Grammar (Tobira)
Vocabulary (Anki)
Speaking (tutor)

Study
Chinese (vocab)
Immersion (Chinese)
2 Likes

9th of May to the 15th of May

Rant
I… somehow forgot about the checklist, remembered that I never updated my study log last Monday, then never got around to it. Can’t say I did much Japanese over the last two weeks though. I’d like to have an excuse, but I really don’t, besides getting sick again for a few days, with a fever and headache and all that lovely stuff.

I’ve definitely been in a productivity slump lately, especially over the past few days. I need to start using to-do lists and go harder on myself again, because otherwise this happens, and it doesn’t even feel good. At all.

But the past is the past. Sigh. Let’s try again. This week I will get back on track.

Summary of not very much Japanese progress

I got to Level 50 on Wanikani. I managed to get back to 0 reviews a few days ago, but didn’t manage many reviews yesterday and today, so it’s back to 200.

I basically abandoned かがみの孤城, and the Read Every Day challenge. Something I’ll be starting again from tomorrow onwards, because I need to complete a draft today.

Didn’t touch Tobira. Still need to go through Chapter 2 workbook exercises.

Goals for next week
  • STOP the horrible habit of thinking I should rest a while before starting work. Because that leads to hours of procrastination. Basically: begin building the habit of Getting. Straight. To. Work.
  • Sleep early, wake up early.
  • Get back to my usual routine for studying Japanese.
3 Likes

Checklist for the 16th of May to the 22nd of May

Reading
Immersion (Japanese)
Grammar (Tobira)
Vocabulary (Anki)
Speaking (tutor)

Study
Chinese (vocab)
Immersion (Chinese)
1 Like

16th of May to the 22nd of May

School stuff and a productivity tool I found this week
Haven’t managed to regain my Japanese study routine yet. I did get a lot of study for school done this week though, and since three drafts were due, I (nearly) completed most of those as well. And adding a bunch of hours to my sleep debt in the process.
I actually studied with a bunch of friends after school in the school cafe on Tuesday. I tend to be a lot more motivated when I study with friends, so that helped a lot — before that I was in a big productivity slump, but now I’m back to normal. Mostly. On Thursday I studied with two of those same friends and got a lot of work done then. And tonight six friends came over to my house to stay overnight, so we can enjoy one another’s company in front of the fireplace as well as study together. It’s currently 2am… I’ll be sleeping soon lol.

A productivity tool I found this week: Forest! It’s an application where you basically ‘plant trees’ by setting a timer on the app, and if you leave the app then you kill a tree. I learned about it from my friend on Tuesday. Since then I’ve been doing group sessions with them, so our timers are synced and if either of us leaves the app then both our trees die. It’s worked extremely well for me so far. I definitely get the most motivated when someone else is studying with me — and it’s a lot more enjoyable too.

Japanese progress
Kept up with WK for the most part, but not so much with everything else (except immersion, but that’s basically because I watch youtube videos in Japanese to procrastinate what I should be prioritising, lol). I actually picked up and completed a Tobira section for the first time in weeks tonight, though.

Reviewing my goals

• I’m still working on starting work immediately instead of procrastinating, but I’ve improved a lot from last week.
  • LOL, I messed up my sleep schedule so much this week. Mostly because of deadlines. I will… try to do better next week.
  • Hopefully by next week I’ll be able to regain my usual routine.
4 Likes

Checklist for the 23rd of May to the 29th of May

Reading
Immersion (Japanese)
Grammar (Tobira)
Vocabulary (Anki)
Speaking (tutor)

Study
Chinese (vocab)
Immersion (Chinese)
2 Likes

That’s what makes for great stories :grin:

2 Likes

The month of June — process of getting back on track

All my assignments have been handed in, and all exams are finally over. Whew. That’s why I haven’t posted for the last two-three weeks… things have been mad busy — with all-nighters, fun group study sessions, big hangouts, and basically just living life.

Forest statistics... actual study time is probably around 85% of that

Though I could have enjoyed this month more (aka skipped zombie autopilot mode following 1-4 hours of sleep the night before, and especially doing a 7-hour work shift straight after an all-nighter), I can say I did have a lot of fun. I’ve been doing things with IRL friends a lot lately: studying together multiple times a week, hanging out, and waking up to take photos of the sunrise every morning.

Thing is… my Japanese progress is practically almost at a standstill. I’m starting to pick up the threads of my former routine, but I’ve yet to make it simply a part of my day again. Though I continued to ‘immerse,’ I wasn’t paying attention to learning and understanding the patterns of Japanese anymore. It was simply entertainment, which is next to useless because there’s so many more productive ways to enjoy myself (productive meaning better for my mood, health, mind, and brain).

Even WK has become something I should do; no longer something I just do.

Excuses/a probably unnecessary explanation

Last week, deadlines for assignments messed up my sleep schedule and morning routine, which moved WK down my priority list. This week has been almost as inconsistent with most of my time on Monday to Thursday spent studying for exams and the rest either working or hanging out with friends (unmissable as it was a friend’s birthday).

Anyway, whether that justifies it or not, now I’ve got 400 reviews (and 38 leeches) to work my way through over the next few days. It was even worse this morning — 550 reviews and 50 leeches, which is a record for me.

The small steps I’ve taken to collect my Japanese-routine-threads once more
I listened to a 25-minute Small Talk in Japanese podcast while folding a gigantic pile of laundry today, for the first time in months (due to infrequent releasing of episodes). I was surprised at how much I understood compared to last time, back in around January — now I can either understand, pick up or figure out almost everything the two hosts are saying.

One of the only significant things for Japanese I did this month… my Japanese assignment for school (haha). Finally the classwork is challenging enough that I can learn from it again — we had to create a multimodal presentation summarising and analysing three stimuli, which means a lot of writing (and reading), using words that are useful in the context of education. Plus presenting the entire thing in exam conditions (and I forgot my laptop, so I read the tiny font off my phone instead, lol. Thank God for WK and my memory that didn’t fail me for once. Looking at you, 老若男女和合). Not only that, answering ‘interview’ questions from my teacher in Japanese. I haven’t had a tutor session for over a month now, so I was relieved my speaking skills hadn’t visibly deteriorated.

I’d dropped off the read everyday challenge at the start of May and hadn’t picked up かがみの孤城 for at least a month, but after the Japanese exam I read a few pages. I’ll try my best to make reading a daily habit once more during the next week.

I’m still watching Youtube for immersion, but I’m beginning to really pay attention to understanding again, so that I’m not simply wasting time for ‘entertainment.’ I also downloaded the Youtube app on my iPhone, in an effort to move all distractions/entertainment to my phone and make my laptop a purely productive space. I’m attempting to condition myself, you see.

GOALS FOR NEXT WEEK

• Sleep at 10:30pm, wake up at 6:30am. Move that earlier if possible.
  • Make reading かがみの孤城 a daily habit. Have fun learning Japanese again.
  • Begin revising Unit 1 content (set aside a fixed period of time per day: say, half an hour or an hour).

It’s not that I dislike studying and I’m forcing myself to do it. I love learning. It’s only when I start to overwhelm myself and suddenly I have to rush through studying/learning that it doesn’t become fun anymore. So what I’m aiming for this week… is to enjoy productivity again.

And with that said, here’s this week’s checklist. I’m not expecting to be able to do all of that, but I’ll just leave the boxes there.

6 Likes

Checklist for the 13th of June to the 19th of June

Reading
Immersion (Japanese)
Grammar (Tobira)
Vocabulary (Anki)
Speaking (tutor)

Study
Chinese (vocab)
Immersion (Chinese)
かがみの孤城 Log

Mon: –
Tue: –
Wed: Page 30 to 36. [1]
Thu: –
Fri: –
Sat: –
Sun: Page 37 to 41. [2]

Unit 1 Revision Log

Mon: -
Tue: Started and completed retrospective revision timetable (RRT) for Maths
Wed: Worked on RRT for Physics
Sun: Completed RRT for Physics, started and completed RRT for Psychology

1. Page 53 on mobile ↩︎

2. Page 59 on mobile ↩︎

6 Likes

You have the correct mindset Ookami san :+1:

Make sure you are resting enough. :crossed_fingers:

I am glad you are having fun with your IRL friends :ok_hand:

What’s the concept of forest picture?

3 Likes

Forest is an app which is basically a gamified timer. When you ‘plant a seed’ you cannot leave the application, which means you have to put your phone down. In the set time period that seed will grow into a tree.

So the first picture is a visual representation of my focused time this month — the number of trees I planted. :slightly_smiling_face:

How have you been going?

4 Likes