Study Log of a Wild Eoame 🐺

8th of August to the 23rd of August

Been a while :flushed:

Going to be a short post again. Haven’t been focused on Japanese all that much for the past two? three? weeks. I’m putting that aside until I’m finished with exams, but afterwards, I want to devote a lot more time to Tobira and reading!

Japanese progress nonetheless
Reached Level 60 on the 16th!! I turned on vacation mode just before the flight to Melbourne, but now I’m back home (sadly). Since then I’ve been doing WK in inconsistent chunks, enjoying the far less rapid pace at which reviews accumulate, abandoning lessons for the time being, and relishing being able to do reviews at whatever time I wish (if I always did reviews at random times halfway through WK, it would cause a lot of inconvenience later on, but now it doesn’t matter). 63 out of my 88 apprentice items are leeches, which is to be expected, since I didn’t touch reviews at all for two days and then didn’t do WK consistently.

I haven’t touched かがみの孤城 very much recently . I guess I dropped off the read every day challenge again for now. Same with Tobira… will definitely need to make some good progress with these two in the holidays coming up.

I have a tutor session this Sunday! Second lesson with the new tutor, but haven’t seen her since the trial lesson, whoops :joy:

Study

I’ve been feeling unmotivated since getting back from Melbourne. English exam is first up on Thursday, so I’ll need to write a practice essay for that, memorise a few quotes, and also do planning for a few more since it’s an unseen exam. Not to mention chemistry and maths, which I have about a week to prepare for. I’m skipping school tomorrow to study — will try my best to make the most of that time instead of procrastinating all day.

I’m not going to make a checklist this week. Not like I’ve been ticking many of the boxes these past few weeks :sweat_smile:, but I do want to get back to it soon.

6 Likes

This sounds so weird, even though it makes perfect sense :sweat_smile:
Anyway, best of luck to you!

May the Great Cat of Purrseverance help you defeat the Great Cat of Purrocrastinyaaaaaaaation! :cat2:

2 Likes

Some of my teachers really do waste the lesson time in class, lol. Add in an hour of travel time, another hour for assembly/chapel and another for Japanese… yeah, I think I need that extra time :joy:

1 Like

I wonder if it is OK to skip school? Like, how much do teachers care? What about higher education’s?

I don’t know if there is any meaning ascribed to cultural thing?

EDIT: I think it is fine for upcoming school exam, I guess.

2 Likes

My own teachers don’t mind too much. They don’t know the reason though — absent students could be sick, etc. But then again, I’m intrinsically motivated to do well and they might care more if I wasn’t.

They did warn students against skipping/being late at assembly two weeks ago, but this is only the second time I’ve skipped this term (the first being yesterday, the morning after returning from Melbourne), so I’m just at the 95% attendance rate for this term, I think unlike last term, it was probably more like 80%? :face_with_hand_over_mouth: . This is without including all the missed Fridays due to a school-based traineeship, by the way.

I can’t say with any certainty but I feel like skipping might also be more socially acceptable in Australian schools than in other countries.

Yeah, currently class time is being used just for revision anyway. I would be a lot more reluctant to skip if teachers were covering new content.

2 Likes

Congratulations!!

1 Like

24th of August to the 11th of September

Exams finally finished at the start of this week! The worst exam block I’ve ever had, and they’ll be my worst results by far. I’ve given up on this term already. So they were important exams — but essentially all that matters is whether I pass or fail. I suppose. (Last ‘practice’ term; next term is the real deal).

Time to reset and try again. This term I was very, very unmotivated, and didn’t have habits already in place to fall back on. I’ve learned my mistake; in these two weeks I’ll take the time to rest, organise my schedule, think about the study habits and strategies I want to implement next term and how I’m going to make sure I’ll stick to them.

Funny that it’s only after exams that I finally get out of my unmotivated period and feel inspired to improve myself again. Anyway, I’ve gradually been shifting my sleep schedule earlier, and I’m aiming to make it a habit (not just doing it once or twice)to sleep at/before 9pm and wake up at 4:30am. Studying in the morning would mean far less interruptions, more motivation, and more peace and quiet to fully focus.

WK reviews have piled up to 700, LOL. I’m being indecisive about whether to simply put it on vacation mode or gradually whittle it down until I only have about 50 new reviews per day.

Finally, I’ll be posting a checklist again and seeing how many of those boxes I can tick off next week! I find it motivates me a lot — if I don’t have a clear checklist, I forget about things or just don’t feel bothered to do them. I won’t be studying from Thursday onwards though — I’ll be on a week-long school trip to a small town where we’ll be helping the community, etc.

Since my family will be going back to Malaysia to see relatives in two weeks, I decided to check out the Pimsleur Chinese course, and will be doing as much as I can for the next week (my free trial period lol). I like how it focuses on pronunciation and speaking, because that’s what I need to work on the most. A huge bonus is I can multitask while doing the lessons — there’s a lot of things in the basic lessons I already know, but I don’t want to skip them because I have huge gaps in my Chinese knowledge. Because I can do other things while listening, each half-an-hour lesson is never a waste of time. Anyway, let’s see how much I can improve my Chinese speaking (non)skills before arriving in Malaysia, alongside rebuilding my Japanese study schedule, making healthy sleep and study habits I’ll need for next term, and hopefully finishing the film project I’ve had sitting in Premiere for a few months :joy:

Yes, it turns out I only have three free days in my two-week break. Lol.

3 Likes

Checklist for the 12th of September to the 18th of September

Reading
Grammar (Tobira)
Vocabulary (Anki)
Kanji (WK)
Handwriting* (Kamesame)
Speaking (tutor)

*Kamesame is optional. WK is low priority.

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
Sleep
Chinese (Pimsleur)
Immersion

*Immersion is Japanese and Chinese on alternate days. Chinese 4x, Japanese 3x

かがみの孤城 Log

Mon: Read page 149 (41%)
Tue:
Wed:
Thu:
Fri:
Sat:
Sun:

3 Likes

12th of September to the 20th of September

Came back from the mission trip yesterday! It’s been full on, in a good way. Most of this week will be just organising and getting everything sorted before flying to Malaysia on Saturday.

When I finally checked WK for the first time in a week today, I had more than 1000 reviews. Did about 80 today, and after the holidays have ended and school starts again, I’ll be allocating only half an hour every other day of the week to it. The rest of the days, I’ll be doing Kamesame, and Pimsleur Chinese will become part of my everyday routine — I can multitask and do Anki at the same time. Tobira and reading are things I will do my best to keep up with every day.

I’ve organised daily and weekly schedules/to-do lists in my Notion, which includes not just academic tasks but revision for school. Don’t know whether I’ll be able to stick to it, but hopefully moving my sleep schedule a lot earlier will help! I’m trying to make waking up at 4:30am normal for me by the end of the holidays.

3 Likes

Checklist for the 21st of September to the 25th of September

Reading
Grammar (Tobira)
Vocabulary (Anki)
Kanji (WK)
Handwriting* (Kamesame)
Speaking (tutor)

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
Sleep
Chinese (Pimsleur)
Immersion