Struggles with the kanji readings of place names | 盛 =/= もり?

This is very specific, but I keep messing this one up because I live in Tohoku and my first exposure to 盛 was as part of 盛岡市 in Iwate. It’s actually the first city I visited in Japan (after flying into Narita).

Of course I was supposed to type せい or じょう (the onyomi) but to have it just rejected instead of “use the other reading” is a bit annoying, and it keeps throwing me. I feel like it’s not the first time for me to have this problem, because I learned a lot of kanji readings through traveling to those places first, and studying later.

I understand that it would be ridiculous to account for the various readings of every location in Japan, but Morioka is a prefectural capital and not insignificant. Major place names are also super useful things to be able to read when you travel/live in Japan. I don’t recall seeing Aomori as a vocab word in the early lessons, even though it’s one of the easiest prefectural kanji to memorize. Perhaps that’s just my personal gripe as an Aomorian…

Anyone else have this issue?

8 Likes

The fact that もり (e.g. in 大盛り) is a perfectly valid kun‘yomi and not only used in place names makes this especially relevant. I’m surprised they don’t have it on their „shake“ list.

5 Likes

Many kanji with kunyomi reading have exceptions where the okurigana are omitted, but you usually won’t find もり listed as an acceptable reading for 盛 in a kanji dictionary. This is just a case of how kunyomi often get squished into names.

It’s similar to how you can have 入口 read as いりぐち, but you usually won’t see いり given as a reading for 入 in a kanji dictionary.

I’m not sure there’s much WK can do about it on a large scale.

8 Likes

My issue is that 生 has a different reading in almost every single place name I’ve seen it in. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

That’s just because getting the reading for 生 correct the first time is like winning the lottery.

3 Likes

Perhaps も is allowed, but with a shake.

Wanikani allows Kun readings, but without dangling Okurigana. Also, some Kun and On readings are missing from Wanikani.

Perhaps Wanikani should allow もる? I am not sure how valid is that.

1 Like

If I wasn’t about to go to sleep, I would see how much Japanese I could replace with valid readings for 生.

1 Like

My favourite city in Japan, 生生とうきょう

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.