Stroke order script?Or manual is only way?

Hello!I am starting using wanikani,but the most crucial of it’s problem in my opinion is no stroke order.I’ve heard there were some scripts out there,but I can only find old ones,which are not working.Can someone help me to find the scriptr or must I just go by jisho.org?
Also,I am only level one,but I’d like to ask:will there be audio later in wanikani or should I somehow make everything myself?Hell of work then,I tell ya.

1 Like

I’m not sure which stroke order script is the best one, but I’m sure someone can recommend one. As for audio, all vocabulary items have audio already. Kanji items don’t have audio because kanji don’t have one single pronunciation. They have many potential readings, and since they aren’t words they lack things like a pitch accent, so recording audio for them would be difficult and potentially misleading.

7 Likes

I like this one

2 Likes

Thanks!So,how must I look for possible translations in wanikani?When I go through lessons,I can’t find some button for more information or something like that.Than I can only copy to jisho.org ?

I’m not sure what you mean by that. All items on WK have an associated “meaning” and usually a list of synonyms, if applicable.

I am going through radicals and some of them can be read in on-yomi,but reading is not given(person,woman,ect.)

Thank you,but I’ve already tried,it gives me an error.Have you the same problem when downloading,pehaps?Maybe issue lays in the firewall?

Use a script handler, such as Tampermonkey. Installing scripts directly into your browser is not necessary

2 Likes

Radicals are building blocks for kanji. They have no readings, they are just pieces of kanji that are used to make memorable stories (mnemonics) when you get to the kanji items. Sometimes a whole radical also looks like a kanji on its own, especially early on, but that is the exception.

1 Like

I understand that,but isn’t 人 a person and also a radical?So this radical isn’t a kanji 人?Just the same-looking?And we will be later learning this separately?

Yes, there is a radical 人, a kanji item 人, and a vocabulary item 人. The radical 人 can appear in many different kanji (for instance, in 傘 or 座). The kanji item 人 can appear in many different vocabulary (日本人, 二人, 恋人, etc). The vocabulary item 人 is how you read that kanji when it appears as a word alone, and not attached to other kanji.

1 Like

Ok,I got it, ありが と!

Wanikani does not teach stroke order because you write with the computer in everyday life. How the Kanjis on Wanikani are written by hand is vast amount of information that you would have to get in your head on top of radicals, kanjis, readings and vocabulary.

That’s why I love wanikani: it gets you to the goal as fast as possible and teaching only things you actually need.

1 Like

Actually,stroke order is important later on,so I should at least grasp a sense of it.There are many discussion on the internet,which I’ve read and I tend to believe people,who have alreadt learned japanese are right.

1 Like

I’ve had really good luck with the app Kanji Tree. It’s a little primitive, and does bug a lot for leaving a review, but has a very thorough repertoire of kanji and pronunciations, and is great for learning stroke orders. Also “Write It! Japanese” teaches how to write katakana and hiragana, and if you get super annoyed by the ads you can open the app with your phone in airplane mode and practice unimpeded. I think the only jarring thing about that one is how loud the pronunciations are, but it’s also funny because it just yells them out.

Good luck with your studies, and welcome!

1 Like

Actually,stroke order is important later on

How is stroke order important apart for writing Kanjis by Hand?

second answer.
Maybe,it’s easier for you in that way,but I prefer to have solid fondation just in case.
P.S.-Got a little confused with forum,sorry.

I see. I might want to write something by hand later on. Except, I won’t. With my phone, I can look up any Kanji I want anytime.

Thanks a lot!But is scrpt you sent working only with kanjis and not radicals?

Yes, and that will be the same for any stroke order script you find, as Wanikani does not use the Kangxi radicals