Strapped for time, is there an "ideal level" to shift from WK to really hammering down grammar and reading?

I also don’t know why WK vocab tends to be dismissed - of course it doesn’t cover kana-only and foreign-based words, but for words with kanji it’s a pretty solid base IMO.

Yeah, only the kanji writing. The word is just fine.
Heck, I’ve even seen 里心 in the wild, as archaic as it may be - it’s still being used in literature and a word I won’t actively used is still a word I’d like to understand when I see it.

1 Like

I’ve even heard it in the wild.

1 Like

Hi! So I’m past your planned pivot point (just learned the Level 39 kanji) and I do find that I can read a lot – regular news and magazine articles with maybe like 75%-85% comprehension if I don’t look anything up, though obviously it depends on the subject; books for adults very slowly, either frequently pausing to look things up or just accepting my understanding is foggy much of the time. But I still run into a lot of kanji I don’t know.

I stopped doing new WK lessons for about a month recently, but when I’d look up unfamiliar kanji on Jisho, I’d often see they were going to be covered in WaniKani level 40-something or 50-something. That seems so close, all things considered, and WK gets them drilled into my head so much more conveniently than trying to memorize them otherwise. So I’m going to keep going with WK, maybe just… very slowly, since I am trying to work more on grammar and reading/listening to native material.

I’d put a word in for adding some listening practice to your 1.5 hours, by the way – I try to do 10 minutes of SuperNative every morning and found that even that short amount of time each day has helped me distinguish words much better. I also listen to NHK Journal while I’m driving to and from work and half pay attention but still get something out of it.

4 Likes

not to mention all the other words like 母心、親心、you can use it for a lot of purposes

SuperNative seems like a good idea. Unfortunately if they can’t be bothered to put any trial content, faq, price scheme, or… anything at all before I have to sign up, well then I can’t be bothered to sign up.

Thanks for all that! I’m just gonna go ahead and bookmark this response so I can check it easily later :slight_smile: What are your thoughts on continuing WK but stopping doing vocab after level 35? That way I can kind of keep up with kanji without WK being most of my study time. I’ll still have to figure out vocab, but since most of those are so straightforward anyway it may be worth the tradeoff (and tbh, SRS is kinda killing me a bit lately . . .)

Those listening resources look great; I was considering starting working on listening later, but you’re right that doing even a little bit now will definitely ease my entry into that asepct down the line when I decide to focus in on it.

1 Like

SuperNative is free. And basically you can do these four types of exercises:

3 Likes

Yeah, I do also love how listening reinforces the other things you’re doing – hearing the grammar point you just learned being spontaneously used, or recognizing words you learned from reading in a new context.

To be honest I feel like I keep learning vocab words in WK that I end up hearing or reading later and being glad I learned, so I don’t think I’ll end up skipping the vocab entirely myself. A middle-of-the-road solution could be to make liberal use of the “ignore answer” button script for vocab words that don’t seem super helpful (though then the trick would be to figure out which those are, I guess).

1 Like

That sounds like a pretty great idea. After a little bit of research, I found an add-on called Yomichan that seems to be doing exactly that and more. Haven’t tested it yet, but it has a few thousand users giving it a good review.

1 Like

Thank you! Looks good, I’ve added that one to my list as well. :slight_smile:

LEARN GRAMMAR NOW! Don’t wait!!
I use nihongo master as well as wanikani
pick a tool and start NOW!!!
you could spend every day for a year on wanikani and in the end it will feel useless without grammar.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.