Strange pronunciation if vocal precedes ga

I’ve noticed in words like rokugatsu (and others) that the spoken pronunciation sounds alot like rokungatsu. Is this just me hearing things or standard pronunciation?

12 Likes

Here’s another resource:

Thanks, never saw this mentioned anywhere

I think of it as being similar to some odd pronunciation phenomena in English also. For example, if you say these aloud as naturally as you can:

“I like both vanilla and chocolate”
“Can I have both of them?”
“We’re both tired from our trip”

Do you notice how you say “both” aloud? Does it sound like “bolth” or more like “bohth” in your dialect?

I tend to say it with an L inserted in the middle, as that’s naturally the shape my tongue makes when transitioning from the O to the TH in that word. How about you?

I’m sure there are plenty of other examples like this in English too, but I don’t have any good references to share.

Edit: Another one I remember isn’t something I’ve ever studied (was an English linguistics major in university) but noticed from personal relations. People I’ve met from Australia, when I hear them say words like “go” or “so” (something with the “oh” sound), to me it almost sounds like there’s an R being pronounced after the O. I haven’t known many Australians, but the ones I have met, particularly women, have had this kind of dialect (anyone else noticed this besides me? Not sure if it’s characteristic of all Australian English accents or if it’s particular to a certain region?) Here’s an example video, if you’re able to watch, and notice how Anber says “no,” “throat,” and “known.”

3 Likes

As an Australian living in WA, I’m not really sure what you mean. Although, maybe I hear it a lot so it sounds natural.

1 Like

I’m not alone in the “bolth” club? Yay!

1 Like

Hmm. Are you able to see the video up there?

At risk of derailing the thread, I just wanted to share this, having found it now via searching for videos with the OHR pronunciation phenomenon. He doesn’t use it but I just love his comedy and attempts at Australian accents with his native Scottish accent. Hope it’ll give you a laugh :laughing:

Back to bidakuon, I suggest Dogen’s lessons on his Patreon for topics related to pronunciation, included this. If I remember correctly from what he said it is a phenomenon less common in the way youngsters talk now and more usual in older people.

1 Like

Meanwhile in Canada:

3 Likes

I’m not a native english speaker and my I have a terrible german accent so this isn’t as meaningful to me as to other people. Good answer though.

From what I gathered now, the nasalized g sounds are mostly used in some dialects, tv hosts and older people? This means that I don’t need to learn it necessarily, just to be aware of it? I also asked a native speaker and he hardly could hear the difference between the nasalized g and “normal” g.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.