Strange memonic placement

In the reading explanation for 後で, there is an explanation for the meaning:

"You can differentiate this one from 後ろ because it has a で at the end. Day (で) follows night which follows after day again. Automatically. "

The “automatically” part involves the reading, but the rest could be given in the meaning section. Since the meaning section is basically empty, I spent some time thinking of my own mnemonic to to remember the correct meaning, only to find it was already covered. If nothing else, at least indicate that the way to get the correct meaning is in the reading section.

1 Like

Are you using an app like Tsurukame? The website only has this for the meaning:

“The kanji and the word are exactly the same. That means they share meanings as well.”

If you’re using an app it may not have pulled some of the recent updates.

No, I was using the site. Unless they updated this in response to this post?

The way I understood the OP is that the meaning section has no useful content to discern the word from 後ろ, so OP had to think of a mnemonic so he wouldn’t mix the two up. Then they found out that the reading section actually has a mnemonic to discern the words, but the thing is, the reading section comes after the meaning section, so in OP’s opinion the

“You can differentiate this one from 後ろ because it has a で on the end. “Day” (で) follows night which follows “day” again, automatically.”

part would’ve been more useful in the meaning section.

2 Likes

Yes, this is what I meant.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. I’d agree with you there. I guess I just got used to it.

I’d email them! hello@wanikani.com

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for bringing this up. I’ll share this with the content team and see what their thoughts are on the placement of the mnemonic. :+1:

6 Likes