Strange furigana thread

Consume enough informal native material and you’ll be sure to run into some ふりがな that’s… not exactly… accurate.

I thought it’d be fun to have a thread to share pictures of these whenever we come across them.

An author can choose to indicate the wrong reading for many reasons, for example, to reveal a character’s nationality (I think アエロフロート is from russian; source unknown, sorry; a native friend sent it to me):

Or to give native-friendly definitions to loanword terminology (this from netrunner):

In manga, it gets a bit more absurd (日常 here; btw the real reading is みろくぼさつ):

saki-no-yatsu

But the real crown of my collection so far is from this song, which you might need some ふりぶりがな for…

Let me see yours!

4 Likes

Personally, I love how Negima has spells in kanji with the furigana as katakana-ised Latin. Sadly, I’m having trouble finding a legible image of this online…

1 Like

Bleach does that too with attacks. E.g. all the Arankar have attacks named in Spanish, the kanji just being there to explain what it does :roll_eyes:

Aeroflot is a Russian airline, not regarded as a luxury carrier…

4 Likes

I’m going through Fruits Basket rn, and i’m loving how furigana is being used to show double-meanings.

Edit: HAHA I FIGURED OUT HOW TO GET IMAGES TO WORK

2 Likes

I’ve seen my fair share of strange furigana. Sometimes I feel like they use it as one would use parentheses in English (at least on the stuff I’m reading, I don’t know if this is a trend). Like, for example, one person would refer to a place by saying あそこ and there would be furigana over あそこ to let the reader know what place is being referred.

1 Like

Kinda, yeah.

I remember seeing this explanation in one of the other strange furigana threads. Edit: the fact I am mentioned in the message is probably why I remembered it

1 Like

I was really surprised the first time this happened, and I really couldn’t tell if it was common practice or not, but I’m glad it is. That’s a really interesting use of language that probably can’t be reproduced in English :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.