🐱 にゃんにゃん探偵団 🕵️‍♀ Kitty Detectives 2 Home Thread!

We’ve now finished reading this book as a club, but please feel free to post in the appropriate discussion threads (linked below) if you’re reading at a later date and have questions which aren’t already answered, or thoughts you’d like to share :blush:

I am reading a book about Detecting and Cats (sadly not Detective Cats?), and I’d like you to read along with me! :cat:

Kitty Detectives!

Kitty%20Detectives

わんにゃん探偵団 Book Club

This is the sequel to the first にゃんにゃん探偵団 book. As detective books, you don’t have to worry about reading them in order. They are part of the わんにゃん探偵団 series: check out the Book Club linked above to see which we’re reading next.

For an idea of the difficulty, visit the BookWalker listing and click the picture to look at the sample pages.

Schedule & Discussion Thread Links

We started off reading at a pace of one page per day, with discussion centred around weekly threads.

There were two breaks, between the stories, to give people a little respite / catchup time.

Week       Start Date           Chapter                  Page Numbers   Page Count
Week 1 October 21st Story 1 - Case 6 - 13 7
Week 2 October 28th Story 1 - Case 14 - 20 7
Week 3 November 4th Story 1 - Case 21 - 31 8
Week 4 November 11th Story 1 - Case 32 - 42 8
Week 5 November 18th Story 1 - Solution 44 - 56 9
Week 6 November 25th Story 1 - Solution 58 - 67 9
- December 2nd BREAK! :snowman: - -
Week 7 December 9th Story 2 - Case 70 - 82 10
Week 8 December 16th Story 2 - Solution 84 - 89 6
- December 23rd BREAK! :christmas_tree: - -
Week 9 December 30th Story 3 - Case 92 - 99 8
Week 10 January 6th Story 3 - Case 100 - 108 8
Week 11 January 13th Story 3 - Case 110 - 118 8
Week 12 January 20th Story 3 - Solution 120 - 129 8
Week 13 January 27th Story 3 - Solution 131 - 139 8
Week 14 February 3rd Story 3 - Solution 140 - 149 8

Vocabulary List

Book Club Members

• I want to take part in this club
  • I don’t want to take part but I like clicking things

0 voters

Buying the Book

Physical | CDJapan | Amazon JP

eBook | BookWalker | Kobo | Amazon Kindle

24 Likes

It’s happening! :tada:

Those who read the first book with the group: how was the pace?

To give people a quick peek in advance and an idea of the structure of the book, here is a rough (possibly not very good) translation of the ‘instructions’ for the book on page 3.

この本には三つの事件がはいっています。
そして、それぞれが「事件編」と「解決編」にわかれています。
「事件編」でのはなえさんのうごきをよくみて、読者のみなさんひとりひとりが、じっくり考えてみてください。
「解決編」をみるのは、それからです。

Book Structure

Within this book there are three cases.
Then, each of these is separated into a ‘case part’ and a ‘solution part’.
For the ‘case parts’, readers should look at Hanae-san’s movements well, and think carefully.
Looking at the ‘solution parts’ should come after that.

3 Likes

Would love to join - they are gorgeous books, and I already have this one on my bookshelf, but I really couldn’t keep up last time; I was spending over an hour per two-page spread much of the time. I also found the schedule a bit strict with an expectation of daily rather than weekly progress (since you asked), so it’s good to see that has been changed :slightly_smiling_face:.

I shall definitely be lurking. Have fun! :mag: :cat::mag_right:

4 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: I’m tempted to take part in the club (cause, you know, kitties), but I’m also currently in the middle of about six other books…

7 Likes

That’s really useful to know, thank you! That was my impression, but I don’t want to impose a weekly format just because that’s what I’m used to.

I know some people found it helpful to have a daily goal as motivation, but I’m hoping people can kind of self-impose that if they want without feeling like they’re behind if they miss a day.

Also useful to know - I felt like 14 pages a week seemed like quite a lot. The way the book is split up lends itself to a fair few pages less each week, so hopefully more people will be able to keep up.

I look forward to being lurked :grin:

Do iiiiiit! Flying Witch is pretty light, this won’t take you long… :wink:

6 Likes

Looking forward to this one! Will finish off the first volume before 21st October then :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So looking forward to this. I’m planing to start the third case in the first book hopefully this week. :blush:

I’m also very happy about the weekly focus instead of daily, because I don’t read Japanese daily, but do it for 30-60 minutes about 4 times per week. And I don’t think I’ll have any problem with the pace. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d love to join, but I’m currently at the end of my Master’s thesis and it’s quite busy and hectic. Also, I still haven’t started on the first part. After the thesis, I imagine to have a little more time, so I will be able to possibly catch up. But for now, it is a bit too early for me :yum:

6 Likes

Ahhh, good luck on your thesis! I’m glad it’s almost over for you :smile:

1 Like

Yay, more Kitty Detectives! :smile:

A weekly schedule fits me better, personally, than a daily one. With work, life and training I can only really read every two days or something like that. Thinking about the first book, four pages every two days with the opportunity to catch up on sundays might be manageable for me.

I’m going to try and keep up and, more importantly, I’m really looking forward to reading the book with you guys! :grin:

Thanks, @Radish8 for bringing this up (on?).

4 Likes

Ditch that then, reading with us will be much more fun :wink:

Totally understand though, and all the best for finishing up your thesis!

Glad to see that so far most people seem happier with the prospect of a weekly schedule. Don’t be afraid to speak up if you’re a dissenter though :grin:

3 Likes

In all seriousness, are the stories stand alone or will I have to know what happened in the first book to understand the second one?

So, I think you’ll be missing some background, in the sense that the first book introduces Hanae a bit more thoroughly and probably gives some kind of pretext for how she first gets drawn into helping the police with their investigations.

The actual stories are totally separate though; each one just covers a different mystery. I haven’t yet read the first book myself (just flicked through it to get an idea). Maybe someone who’s read the first book can weigh in?

1 Like

You’re basically right. The first story just introduces the main character, and shows how/why she decided to become a detective. It also shows how she got her cat. But none of that is needed to be able to read future stories.

It’s very similar to typical detective stories in that regard; it doesn’t really matter what story you begin reading for Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot, either.

5 Likes

Really happy to see a group forming to read the second book of this series. I stumbled into the original thread for the first book a few months after I started WK and I thought the book’s concept was really fun, so I bought both.

I read the second book a few months ago and it was really nice, but I struggled in several parts.

I am really curious to see how much I’ve progressed after all these months, and this gives me the perfect chance to check that =^.^=

4 Likes

Every time these come up, I’m always tempted to try, but I’m hesitant because I’ve tried to start Yotsuba several times now and I keep dropping it. The problem is, I’m really not sure why.

I guess I should reflect on that. If I can figure it out, maybe I’ll give this one a go.

5 Likes

That’s a great idea!
I bought the first book back then because I thought I would read it, but never got around to reading it.
But since I’m keeping up with the book club and actually reading stuff now… I think I’m gonna give it a try! Only thing is, I’m gonna be in Japan :astonished: from November 21st to December 10th, so I’ll probably have a loooooot of catching up to do at winter break.
But I’m game!

3 Likes

Maybe you don’t enjoy reading Yotsuba in particular.

1 Like

I did consider that. I don’t think that’s actually the case, though. I actually find it to be charming. I think my problem is establishing a routine that works. There have been cases where I’ve gotten off my routine for whatever reason and then it’s hard for me to get back on where I was.

I do think I can figure it out. However, I don’t think I’m ready to commit to a new group quite yet.

3 Likes

Best of luck with whatever you choose. Starting again after stopping something is the hardest part; once you put in the resolve and do it, motivation should come naturally :+1:

2 Likes