Stories of the Japanese Prefectures - Prereading (Absolute Beginners Book Club)

Well, you can think of it as 答えを合わせる (definition 4) which has been essentially codified into one single noun in its own right.

Yep. That is, in fact, exactly what’s going on here, except that the する is in ~て form.

3 Likes

@Orock45 アドバイス is literally ‘advice’ in its japanese-adapted form.

1 Like

Thanks!

@Micki : I won’t be discouraged, don’t worry :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

… Well somehow I was reading that as アイデアス or something…

[Inside the book cover]

おうちの方へ
この本で取り上げている文章は、1話が短く、気軽に楽しく読めるおはなしばかりなので、読書習慣をつけるのに最適です。 また、ただ読むだけで終わらず、問題を解くことで、正しく内容を読み取れているか確かめることができます。 毎日の読書と文章読解のトレーニングで、読解力がぐんぐんアップします。
* 終わったら、答え合わせをしてあげてください。

To the family

The stories in this book are short and easy to read, so they are ideal for developing reading habits. Furthermore, by solving questions, you can also check whether (your child) is reading the content correctly. Through daily reading and comprehension training, (your child’s) skills will improve rapidly.
When you have finished, please check your answers (with your child).

On a side note

I’m not a native English speaker - for translating, I first used DeepL then I modified it according to my understanding. I hope I’ve not missed some important meaning.

This sentence is still giving me some trouble, particularly the のかも part. It’s a lot of particles together and I’d appreciate a detailed breakdown.
その上や下、右や左には、どんな都道府県があるのかも、かくにんしてみてください。

The translation I’ve got so far is:

From those above and below, right and left, please also try to confirm what kind of prefectures there are.

どんな都道府県がある のか is the question with の being inquisitive and か being the question particle
The whole question is then followed by with the “as well” meaning. The whole question is what you should try to check as well.

In japanese you can just embed question phrases in your sentences. It is a common pattern you will see often.

5 Likes