Stories of the Japanese Prefectures (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Just got my book in the mail too! Now I see what people mean with it being bigger than expected! I didn’t think about how it is basically a drill book for children :joy:
Looking forward to learning some new things about the different prefectures!

3 Likes

I recommend ちびまるこちゃん series by さくらももこ, and こぐまのくく物語 series. There is also a series of graded readers for Japanese school students called 10ぶん, but it’s quite kana heavy and less captivating. Otherwise, I advice you to look at books previously read by ABBC and order them: you’ll have vocabulary lists ready for you and may find some answers in dedicated threads.

4 Likes

When I bought the book for this upcoming book club, I also bought A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners to get Kinokuniya’s free shipping.

However, I’ve yet to use it as much as the A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar that I bought with my previous order. If I’m not mistaken, the prices are almost the same between the two.

5 Likes

Just opened up an Amazon Japan account for the sole purpose of buying this, and hopefully more, books. I’m so excited!!!

P.S. to myself: buy more books next time to make the shipping cost worth it `:D

5 Likes

I bought all of しろくまカフェ (polar bear cafe) when I bought my prefectures book. I love them :slight_smile: Although be warned it’s more difficult than this prefectures book. Read the review here to see if polar bear cafe is for you. I find it easier than Doraemon, but you have to be willing to go with the flow and not understand every minute detail (some puns are complicated). But after I got used to the format I’m loving it. The WK book club on the first one is really helping me.

Also, the prefectures book came with a sleeve that shows other interesting books from the same publisher. One on countries of the world, one on the body, and biographies. Amazon recommends other similar ones that look interesting as well. I don’t have them, but they look interesting!

I have 2nd grade biographies and science stories. But those seem much harder to me than the prefectures book. I would recommend getting more books from the prefectures book publisher if you think you want easier material. If you want a challenge get the 2nd grade biographies book, as WK also did book club on that!

4 Likes

Yotsuba has long been a popular beginner manga that I don’t think has a digital version yet. It was the original book club pick - Yotsuba. We’ve read easier manga since then in ABBC, especially the current manga Happiness. But it might be a good one to pick up volume 1 of.

3 Likes

I’m fortunate - I live in Nachikatsuura, Wakayama ken, and bought the book last week at the local bookshop for ¥650. This is my first attempt at a Japanese text book - it looks rather difficult - the Japanese word order all back to front. My wife will help me out. Cheers to you all.
Jack in Tenma.

4 Likes

Ooo, I’ve been there. Nice place.

You’ve visited the waterfall at least once, right? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My copy is in stock. But I’ll wait to pick it up in store in a couple of weeks when I’m not interstate. Gives me a chance to browse in store too.

1 Like

Many times - I have walked up Daimonzaka trail to the shrines and temples on Nachi Mountain. This area is possibly one of the most beautiful areas in Japan.

image.jpg

6 Likes

What a coincidence! I just saw that yesterday on German TV in the second part (of 3) of the BBC documentation ‘Sacred Wonders’.

2 Likes

Thank you Albino for that reference to the BBC.I will certainly look that up By the way - I spent 9 months, before you were born, in National Service - R.A.F., in Hamburg.
Cheers, Jack.

3 Likes

Are you sure about this? Do you know when I was born?

1 Like

Well according to your past posts, you’re around 62 years of age.

2 Likes

absolutely correct :+1:

2 Likes

Just for second I thought I was the one who had written this post :sweat_smile: Good to meet you. Nice to know I’m not the only Dane around here :seedling:

2 Likes

I’ve just received my copy of the book ! I tried to read the introduction text, and it seems I need to polish my grammar knowledge haha :joy:

Nice to meet you as well :smiley: I am actually not Danish (yet), but I’ve been living in dk for a few years now.

2 Likes

Gah! The Kinokunya in Australia emailed to say they removed the item from my order, so it’s not coming. I ordered a very dry sounding N4 kanji book as well in order to make the shipping cost more worthwhile, so now I am getting only kanji, and no fun book. Boo Urns.

6 Likes

Oh, rude.

That happened to me the last time I placed an order through their website, but not when I ordered this book directly through the Japanese counter.

2 Likes

Just a reminder we plan to start May 14th. I will put a new thread up each week for discussion of that week’s pages. I’ll post links each week in this thread, and also in the schedule in the opening post.

If you haven’t done already you can mark this thread as watching to get reminders each week when I post the link to the new thread.

5 Likes