Still on Lesson 4 after nearly a month!

Hi everyone, Im new to this community. So surprised just how much feedback I got.

I got drip fed another 2 lessons. Strangely, I am OVER the Guru quota now (that line I needed to get past in my screenshot) and still havent leveled up.

I’ll give it another couple of days. I might start using some of the hacks to cheat getting them right from now on. I do forget occasionally but I cant afford to get penalised so hard especially when so often its just a typo.

Here are some tips from my method:

1. I never let memory stop me from leveling as soon as possible. So, for new radicals and kanji, I will write them down or whatever to make sure I get them up to guru on-time. The repetition up to guru is usually enough for me to memorize them, but I won’t let them slow down leveling. After I’ve leveled, I never use cheat sheets again. Sometimes I’ll have to repeat a kanji from earlier levels multiple times, but it doesn’t slow my progress.

2. The stories have limited usefulness and sometimes they are such a stretch they’re just confusing. I only use the stories if they are really good, or I’m having a particularly hard time keeping an item in memory.

3. What I usually do, and this slows things down a little, is try to attach the concepts to their concretes in reality. For example, I look at a tree and try to think もく. I try to avoid attaching the word もく to the word tree, which is then attached to the object tree. After all, I want to be able to think in terms of the new concepts. I don’t want to have to translate from English to Japanese, or vice versa, in my head.

These keep me moving along at a pace I’m really happy with. Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Your forum icon suggests you’ve leveled up! Maybe you need to sync the app to get new lessons?

4 Likes

That’s a good point!! The app sometimes needs some force maybe, especially if it isn’t up to date

Still need to do my reviews today, but once I hit level 4 I slowed down considerably.
I am having a little trouble with the kanji, and still trying to find my flow. I am slowly finding myself, doing slightly better though, so we’ll see how I speed up.

Chill out. This is uncalled for.

You don’t need to guru vocab items to level up, so you’re good to go. As someone mentioned, it looks like you leveled up, so congrats! Keep in mind that the process is to unlock items when you know all their components. So you unlock some kanji right away (because you know their radicals from previous levels) and others you won’t unlock until you guru their radicals from the same level. That’s why each level (except for some levels much later) is essentially in two parts.

Many people use the reorder script or my Lesson Filter script so they can do a mix of radicals, kanji, and vocab during lessons and/or learn items critical for leveling up first and spread the rest out for a more balanced workload. Some people also use it to help keep a steady level up pace, regardless of whether it’s a fast or slow pace.

15 Likes

Congrats on leveling up!

3 Likes

Honestly I enjoy the reviews so much because they take way less time lol. It’s like a free feel-good moment. When I leveled up to lvl2 and saw I had 51 lesson items all at once I got palpitations XD

3 Likes

Thanks for your help everyone. Turns out the app I am using needed to be force synced. Just a minor issue with Flaming Durtles.

18 Likes

Its not hard at all champ. Just had a problem with my app. Everyone helped and it culminated in great advice solving the problem. Enjoy your firehose bro :unamused:

Thank again to everyone that helped. Just got 60 new lessons, time to bust on ahead.

18 Likes

badass

13 Likes

Perhaps this has already been addressed in the thread, I’ve no idea, I just have to respond now…

My average level-up time is just over 3 weeks, but I am not lazy, and nor do I slack off. I study Japanese for about 3 or 4 hours every day, sometimes more, and have done so consistently (apart from during my summer holiday this year) for over two years.

Telling people who struggle with learning a language (actually, what am I talking about, you’ll find plenty of people take about the same time to level up as I do) that they are lazy or slackers is not helpful and certainly not polite.

30 Likes

Hello. Actually you are not wasting your time. What I have realized is that Wanikani is useful because of the way they arranged the kanji and the system they use to teach you vocabulary. Dont worry to much if you dont get the goal that honestly seem to be just an advertisement like many products around the market. Actually, chinese and japanese people never master all of them and nowadays, they tend to forget them while writing. The best thing I can recommend you to strength your level is read japanese texts where you can find the same words a lot of times, such a manual or a recipe book. Believe me, you will learn them one way or another by heart and easily recall them when you see them.

1 Like

I guess people can’t handle criticism, my bad I was on the wrong website.

I was mainly addressing those that use only WK and take forever to level up and never reach lvl 60.

If you have a study plan, there is no problem with that. In fact, I don’t even do 4 hours a day so that makes me lazier than you :wink:

2 Likes

Have you reset from 60, or did you take a huge break?

3 Likes

I never reached level 60 lol, I would never reset.

So you took a huge break, then?

3 Likes

I think many take longer than 2 weeks, not out of laziness, but often things come up in between and it takes some time to get back into things! Or not even this, some people just have a better memory than others. Maybe some have a job or studies that take a lot of effort in terms of memorization already.

Tone doesn’t carry well over the internet, so I think this is just a bit of a miscommunication. I feel like you didn’t mean to criticise anyone, you were just saying that leveling up around every two weeks seems like a reasonable average right? :smiley:

In the end I think we all agree that everyone has their own tempo, and everyone knows for themselves what the best tempo for them is.

13 Likes

I was getting 8/9-day levels, I was so proud. :sob:

My last two finished levels are 15 and 30 days. .-.
Though that’s because I stopped doing lessons/reviews. Still sucks.

At least it hasn’t affected my average that much. u_u

3 Likes

To be fair, calling people lazy based on their WaniKani speed alone is kind of dumb criticism :stuck_out_tongue:
But since we’re already out dealing punches: I guess people cant admit even they sometimes say things that are just wrong :wink:

15 Likes