[STATS] Statistics site

Did you use the correct API key? You have to use the version 1 API key.

Yes, I tried both. But I tried the version 1 first.

Make sure there arenā€™t any spaces being copied along with the key. The API v1 key should be 32 digits/letters.

Iā€™ll check out the site code to see if it trims spaces.

ya know, I checked for a trailing space, but it turned out there was one at the start!

Doh!

Iā€™m in. Great site!

Iā€™ve added code to trim spaces now. Not sure how I missed that the first time around :thinking:

Anyway, Iā€™m glad youā€™re in!

4 Likes

I have found that these two vocabulary items do not exist anymore:
lvl. 2 円 (was changed to ~円)
lvl. 11 äø»ä½ (seems to be removed)

They are displayed as ā€˜not learnedā€™ in the vocabulary section. There might be some more in upcoming levels.

2 Likes

hello,
wkstats is very nice.
my level 5 duration is increasing day to day but I am exhausted so holding my lessons atm.
about the ā€œbehaviourā€, will my level duration be corrected if a learn something from the new level ?
have a nice day.
mata ne.

I was just about to post this very same about 円! It is upsetting my obsessive compulsive self:

Yes, the levels will eventually be correct. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mrlovre @stevenhowe

Yepā€¦ the site still uses APIv1, which doesnā€™t have the info necessary for automating Wanikani changes.

I have plans to update the site, but Iā€™m working through my various userscripts first, upgrading them to APIv2 one at a time.

I may be able to do a manual update today, but no promises.

1 Like

I would also like to say it is a very helpful tool for visualization of your progress :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know if this has been explained in this thread already, but Iā€™ve noticed what appears to be some questionable timing calculations during a few levels. Midway through a level, it will show me a certain time as the ā€œfastestā€
23%20PM
But then after unlocking the second set of kanji, it shows a much faster ā€œfastest timeā€
(in this case, 10 hours faster).

In doing my own mental calculations, I believed that in this case, I could potentially level up on the afternoon of May 6, but wkstats.com said otherwise until the second set was unlocked.

Is it perhaps because wkstats.com isnā€™t aware of which kanji are unlocked by which radicals?

The other anomaly Iā€™ve noticed with this site is that the little bar graphs seem to overestimate how many kanji youā€™ve learned for JLPT and Joyo levels. for example, in this graph,
it appears to show that Iā€™ve learned over half the N2 kanji. But on the Items page, it indicates that Iā€™ve learned less than 1/3.
But as always, thanks so much for this site. I was just curious about those issue.

2 Likes

There are a few flaws due to insufficient info in APIv1. First, as you suspected, it doesnā€™t know the dependencies between radicals, kanji, and vocab. While I could have hard-coded that info, Iā€™m not sure it was ever explicit that Wanikani actually adhered to dependencies in their unlock algorithm. In fact, there used to be several glitches in the unlock order, which indicated that there was at least one other factor in determining individual unlocks.

Second, Wanikani has an internal ā€˜passedā€™ flag on each item, which is set when the item reaches Guru. Even when an item drops back down to Apprentice, it is still considered ā€˜passedā€™. Since that info wasnā€™t exposed in APIv1, the site is unaware of whether an Apprentice item has actually passed previously, which means itā€™s going to think such items are still contributing to the level-up time. And when it suddenly sees more unlocked kanji in the 2nd half of the level, that demoted item sometimes no longer is the ā€˜longest pathā€™ to level-up, and the ā€˜fastestā€™ time suddenly gets a little bit shorter.

The graphs are cumulative, whereas the charts are per-level. So, for example, your ~55% on the graph means that you know 55% of the combined N5 to N2 kanji. The charts are showing you the raw number of N2-only kanji.

When I rewrite the site for APIv2, Iā€™m considering making the graphs a double-bar, one showing the N2 only and the other showing the cumulative values, with a hover-note explaining whatā€™s going on.

3 Likes

OK thanks! I almost understand the first part ā€“ but at least I understand how difficult it is to figure out potential level-up times with limited information.

And I completely understand the second part. For some reason, the idea that the graphs were cumulative never occurred to me until you explained it, but now that you did, it makes perfect sense.

1 Like

@rfindley
Hello,

Are you looking for help in updating the site to use APIv2? Iā€™m looking to get involved in some projects and Iā€™d like to help with one that Iā€™ve been using for quite a while. Is there a repository somewhere that I could take a look?

Thanks!

1 Like

To be honest, Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™m going to do it yet. My schedule is about to get very busy again, so I have to consider the best way to update the site without generating too much work for myself.

Iā€™m probably going to scrap a lot of the current code, and port parts of the [Open Framework] over to the stats site since the framework is so much easier to use, and provides a lot more data. So, familiarizing yourself with the Open Framework is probably the best place to start. Mainly, Iā€™ll be porting the Core code, plus the Apiv2 and ItemData modules.

Sorry for the radio silence the last few days; I donā€™t go onto the community site that often. Iā€™ll be looking over the open framework this weekend. Is there anywhere in particular that you want to continue any development discussion or is here ok?

1 Like

@truepose, I may shift development chatter over to email eventually, but here is fine for now.

Say, is there a way to completely reset the progress on the stats site? Because I reset to level 1 (donā€™t judge pls) but it still shows the old level 1 time. I logged out and in again, deleted the cookies and all that jazz but that didnā€™t help.
Any way to fix this, please? Seeing my shameful number of days is so disheartening haha

Also, apologies if this has been asked before, I couldnā€™t find anything in my quick searchā€¦

Thereā€™s not currently a way to reset it, though there will be when the site gets converted to Wanikaniā€™s APIv2.
The old WK interface (APIv1) doesnā€™t contain enough data to adequately deal with resets.

In the meantime, as you progress the levels will fix themselves, and you can temporarily exclude long levels from the stats by clicking on them on the Progress graph.