[STATS] Statistics site

^^^ Yeah, what @bladepoint just said :slight_smile:

In the meantime, you can click on level 10 to exclude it from the calculations.

3 Likes

good to know, thanks to both of you for enlightening me!

I noticed that I seem to be stuck on my previous level, statistically I mean.
I leveled up a couple days ago, did the radicals for the current level maybe one or two days later. Yet my current status shows me that I spent 0 days and 0 hours on my current level. :confused:

Have you tried forcing a refresh? That sometimes happens to me even some time after doing reviews / radical lessons etc.

1 Like

Ahh I just tried and it worked for me, thanks! I was just about to ask how to force a refresh but I found out by myself (I never clicked on my username beforeā€¦)

Glad it worked! :slight_smile:

Sorry, I should have saidā€¦ I donā€™t think itā€™s particularly obvious that the username is clickable.

Thanks for letting me know how you do it, it worked. :smiley:

Is the fact that levels 50+ onward appear to have no radicals to learn that causes the weird timing mess up on the stats site? for some reason the last couple of levels have me levelling up on December 31st, 1969 which causes the calculations for current and previous levels to go haywire. For the last couple of levels, it seemed to fix itself after a few days, but was never really quite sure what fixes it. Forcing refresh doesnā€™t seem to work, either.

Yeah, thatā€™s exactly it. Itā€™s related to some APIv1 issues, and having to guess when someone leveled up. The radicals are the best way to determine level-up date, and when there arenā€™t any, I have to guess based on when kanji are unlocked, but that doesnā€™t always work well. The guessing algorithm works well for most people, but not all.

When I get this converted to APIv2, it will make use of the new level-up info in the WK server.

1 Like

My level 3, 4, and 5 have been pretty messed up. I stopped for a few months between completing level 3 and getting a subscription since I couldnā€™t afford to subscribe, but after a while, the time spent on level 3 seems to have spilled over. I can understand it being stuck on either level 3 or level 4, but splitting the time over 3 levels seems kind of strange. Especially as 5 was a completely normal level

Unless thereā€™s nothing wrong here and I really did take that time to complete those levels, but I really donā€™t remember ever taking that long to complete a level.

The issue with 3/4/5 is due to a quirk in Wanikaniā€™s data at the paywall. If I remember correctly, the pre- and post-paywall levels end up showing the same time for the radicals being unlocked, so itā€™s impossible to know exactly when the previous level-up actually occurred. So, the algorithm has to make an educated guess, which often means that the time is split across levels.

The data is correct for people who passed that point after a certain cutoff date. For everyone before, itā€™s messed up, and thereā€™s no way around it other than to maybe come up with a better guestimator.

1 Like

Oh right, Iā€™m glad thereā€™s an actual reason for this, thanks!

1 Like

It doesnā€™t ā€œstartā€ the next level till you learn the first radical from that lesson. So if you levelā€™d up from level 5, but didnā€™t learn the first radical of the level 6 for a week, then that week is tacked onto level 5.

Essentially, wanikani levels you up when you guru 90% of the kanji, however the stats site doesnā€™t level you up till you learn the first radical of the next level.

Main reason I know this is because I usually sit on the previous level for 3-4 days after leveling up to split up the vocab before moving onto the next level and those 3-4 days are always tacked onto the previous level.

1 Like

This is a very nice tool!

I have a simple suggestion: in the ā€œItems ā†’ JLPTā€ and ā€œItems ā†’ Joyoā€ views, show which wanikani level a kanji is taught in when hovering over it.

So for example, here, instead of saying ā€œno info availableā€, it could at least say ā€œtaught in level 12ā€.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I couldnā€™t seem to find an answer in this thread, so Iā€™ll ask it here:

I have been a member since 2013. This year I reset my lvl 12 status and started from 0 again. Whatā€™s the easiest way to update my stats so that I can see my post-reset stats?

Thereā€™s not currently a way to do so. Iā€™ll be updating the site eventually to be able to account for resets, now that Wanikani provides information about resets.

In the meantime, you can click on long levels to exclude them from calculations.

3 Likes

Iā€™m fairly certain thereā€™s a bug thatā€™s triggered when you reset your wanikani account back to zero after a long period of absence. If not, Iā€™ll see you lot in eleven years and let you know how I got on.

1 Like

Correct, though not exactly a bug, just a feature thatā€™s not available with the current site from what I understand. If you check the two posts above yours, thereā€™s a bit of discussion of it there. The API V1 doesnā€™t have information regarding resets, which is what the stats site is currently using. Once the site has been updated for API V2 this is expected to work correctly.

I reset to 1 back in January, but per the stats site Iā€™ve been level 11 for more than 400 days at the moment. The level graph might not be very useful at the moment, but projections still work (beyond your very next level at least, Iā€™ve seen a few minor issues there) and once you get past the level you reset from the level graph will be fine, but otherwise thereā€™s nothing to really do but click to exclude long levels and wait for the API V2 update right now.

2 Likes

Hey @rfindley, when you redo the stats site to use APIv2 I have a request. Right now, the user accuracy stats include every answer given, which is equivalent to the percentage that you get during review sessions. I believe the new reviews endpoint would allow you to accurately calculate the percentage of items that go up or down after a review session. This information is much more useful to see how well you are doing because it shows how much you are progressing. And I think youā€™d only have to cache the running average, total number of reviews, and time of last API request, so the storage shouldnā€™t be too bad.

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this - please advise if notā€¦

I canā€™t get access to wkstats.com - I get the message ā€œInvalid key format!ā€.

I am just pasting in my API key and clicking submit. Is there also a secret password I donā€™t know about?

Any help/advice is very much appreciated!