[STATS] Statistics site

But I haven’t even done those lessons yet…

(Yeah, I know it was about 6 months ago… I wish I had that extra day before Guru 1 still…)

Hmmm… Just thought I wouldn’t see that 6d20h until I had all the (initial) radical and kanji lessons started, and before then, it would stare at me with a WTF face. (Do you know what I mean?)

You’re clearly missing something. The 6 day 20 hour time assumes you’re going to drop what you’re doing and immediately do your radicals, then do all your reviews and kanji to level up in the minimum time. Minimum from that moment that is. That’s why it will continue to say 6 days 20 hours until you actually do your radicals.

Right. That’s what I only started noticing in level 15. I do not recall it behaving that way before.

Although… my last few levels have been longer… so… that could be why, since rfindley says he hasn’t changed the algorithm.

@rfindley I’ve been wondering for a while how my stats have changed over time. Is this something that the API V2 will allow?

For now I’ve settled for just manually checking every once in a while (starting today…) so I wrote some quick JavaScript to get the data from the page in CSV format (below if anyone is interested). Would you be willing to do something like what you did to the items page by adding comma separation on copy? That way just copying the Accuracy section would take care of everything.

$('.scrollx.acc > div').map(function(divIndex, divEl) {
	var label = $(divEl).find('span.label')[0].textContent;
	var row = $(divEl).find('span.value > span').map(function(spanIndex, spanEl) {
		return spanEl.textContent;
    });

return label + ',' + row.get().join(',');
}).get().join('\n');

I’ll try to catch up on forum comments this weekend… probably Sunday. We’ve been dealing with hurricane damage here. My house made it through just fine, but my mom had three trees fall on her house. We spent the day today patching holes in the roof and clearing out trees.

5 Likes

Oh, sorry to hear that. I hope everyone is okay!

2 Likes

Damn, so it’s telling you that you’ll never reach level 60 alive.

1 Like

Yikes! How’s the rest of your family faring?

They’re all fine. Power is back on, which is a huge blessing. We’re going to work on clearing more trees on Saturday.

I know your pain!

Don’t know if anyone has suggested it yet, but is it possible to make a tab with the i- and na-adjectives used in every JLPT level and correlate it with the ones we learn in wanikani. Just wan’t to see how many of them we learn in here vs how many we need for the tests, sorry if it’s a stupid question.

@lolobg123,
That’s a good idea, and would certainly be useful.

Honestly, though, I’m not planning to do any more development on the stats site, other than converting to the new WK APIv2. But if anyone wants to do the bulk of the work – gathering vocab lists, categorizing by Wanikani level, etc – I’d be willing to put the info on the site.

After forgeting about Wanikani for more than a year, I came back and just started using the statistics site a couple of weeks ago, it’s amazing, thank you.

But I noticed something that has been driving me crazy :stuck_out_tongue:

The graphs in the progress page show an aproximate % of how much you know of JLPT, Joyo, etc.
And I can’t help but think the % there are a little messed up and me being picky.

I am currently LVL12, and in the progress page it would seem that my knowledge of G5 and G6, and N1 is way higher that it really is. I mean, I would think I’m almost half way there with G5 kanji.

This is what the bars look like:

This is what the Items page shows:
items
And this is what the Chart page shows.
Chart

Again, thanks for this page, it’s amazing!

The reason for the difference is that the bar graphs show the cumulative knowledge of prior grade levels, whereas the charts only show percentage of kanji on the current level.

In other words, a Japanese student that graduated from Grade 2 has learned all G1 and G2 kanji, and none of the kanji from G3 to G9. So, they’ve learned (80+160=240) kanji.

Compare that to Wanikani level 12, where you will have learned:

• 80 kanji from G1
  • 143 kanji from G2

(plus:)

• 152 kanji from G3
  • 36 kanji from G4
  • 3 kanji from G5
  • 2 kanji from G6
  • 2 kanji from G9

So, you’ve learned (80+143=223) of the (80+160=240) kanji that a Grade2 Japanese student would know, or (223/240=92.92%).

Likewise, a Japanese student that graduated Grade 6 would know (80+160+200+200+185+181=1006) kanji from grades G1 to G6. By the end of WK level 12, you will know (80+143+152+36+3+2=416) of those same kanji, which is (416/1006=41.35%) of what a Grade6 Japanese student would know.

1 Like

I see! Now that you have explained, it is all very clear. Sorry for the confusion :smiley:

1 Like

Does an excel spreadsheet work? I have no problem doing this over the next week. I can just scrape Jisho for it (not that hard). For columns I could have:
Word : Wanikani Level : Jlpt Level : is i-adjective : is na-adjective

And make those last two columns boolean for ya.

Edit: Any other info you’d want in it?

I’m thinking:
word, wk_level, jlpt_level, and part_of_speech

You could then use filters in Excel to select any part of speech. (though, if a word has more than one part-of-speech, I guess that wouldn’t work :thinking:)

For starters, it would be helpful to know how significant the overlap is between WK and JLPT vocab. Since WK isn’t focused on the most common vocab, we may discover that it only covers a small percentage of JLPT vocab. If that’s true, the cross-comparison wouldn’t be accomplishing much cross-comparison, and you’d essentially just have two separate lists.

Hi there,

Not sure why, but suddenly one of my lesson stats has gone crazy:

Any idea how this might have happened?

PS: Thanks for the tool! I-m a sucker for stats! :smile:

you spent 47 years on lv 5???!!!

already on WK waay before WK was cool huh (or existed) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Click your username and then Force Refresh. That might help.