[STATS] Statistics site

@riccyjay @AnimeCanuck @Timelinker @Learnme,

Hehe… all in good time :wink:
I’ve got a lot of work to do, so don’t get too excited yet.

Maybe EtoEto v2 will achieve some of what I’m striving for, but we won’t know until it comes out. I would love to be working with them on it, but I’m also enjoying working on my own path. It’s a good learning experience, both for programming and Japanese.

Anyway, the concepts for what I’m doing come out of my own experiences with the Japanese learning process, with all of its ups and downs. Each tool/app/site currently out there feels to me like such a small slice of a very large Japanese-learning pie, and most of them only address needs peripherally, while somewhat (or entirely) missing the most important thing: an overall structured learning system. Textbooks do structured learning well, but they’re still based on archaic teaching methods. Neurolinguistics and psycholinguistics have come such a long way, but they haven’t yet gotten much foothold in modern education.

To sum it up, I’m attempting to apply some of the modern understanding of the brain to the Japanese learning process. The intent is to start by training your brain to think like a native, both linguistically and culturally. No more translating in your head.

8 Likes

That sounds really, really exciting.
I’m even down for alpha testing. : D

1 Like

Likewise! Sign me up for alpha testing too @rfindley :wink:

If this was supposed to stop us getting excited…epic fail.

Seriously though, that sounds really interesting. I’m sure you’re going to find a very willing bunch of users around here whenever you have something ready. Good luck with putting it all together!

@rfindley I had an idea to enhance the progress bars and wanted to get your thoughts. What if, when you select a level after yours, it keeps the blue for the bars up to your current level but uses a different color for the future levels. I think this would make it easier to see how much more you’ll learn by getting to another level. And hopefully you can avoid the problem of too much going on by picking a color/shade that is similar to the current blue, but still distinguishable.

Linking a suggestion from another thread…

I’ll keep this on the list of things to look into. Thanks!

I guess this is a bug report, but I have no idea how it happened.

I just got to level 16 in what I think might have been just over 7 days, but when I look at the stats site, it says that level 15 took about 10 days, and the level before took about 3 days.

So it looks like somehow ~3 days from my previous level got shifted to the most recent one.

Try clicking “Force Refresh” which you can find by clicking your name. If that doesn’t work, it will probably resolve itself after you do your radicals for the new level.

It does seem that it takes getting an item to Guru for it to update.

Yup, that did it. Thanks!

Still curious as to why this happens though. :thinking:

Thanks so much for this! It’s a huge motivator.

I just love those JLPT/Joyo/Frequency charts too!
Except for being motivational, there’s a thing about them - they look like it rains kanji : )

It would be nice if I could hide “Burn”, “Enlightened”; or showing only “Apprentice”. Otherwise, is there a way to Ctrl+F by colors?

Hm I wonder if this is an error with the stats site or WK

It changed like this as soon as I leveled up, the before duration was correct

1 Like

If you go up and click on your username and choose the force refresh option that usually fixes it.

Or after you do your first reviews from the new level + force refresh.

It’s related to how the level-up calculations work. It’s a bit tricky because:

• WK doesn’t provide any info about when you leveled up, so I have to make an educated guess based on the unlock times of radicals, and radical unlock dates don’t show up until you actually do the lessons.
  • It has to account for a few radicals that have changed level in the past
  • Some levels don’t have radicals, so I have to make assumptions base on when last-level vocabulary unlocks

So, yeah… things get a little goofy sometimes :slight_smile:

And there’s also a cache bug that I haven’t found yet, which can be fixed by the Force Refresh that others have mentioned.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s fixed now. I still don’t understand why it was the level before the level I finished that got shortened, since it already knew when I went from level 12 to 13, but I guess that’s somehow a result of it knowing that I leveled up but not knowing when

Not being able to tell you had started a new level, the stat site kept ticking time onto your previous level. Then when it was able to properly calculate it, it changed it to the proper times. I think that’s what’s going on anyway.