Starting Over From Level 60(Finished)

Probably worth it. No doubt it’s easier for your Taiwanese friend to learn Japanese because kanji knowledge is already quite cemented in his/her brain. It’s when you learn a second/third language that it becomes tricky.

I learned Spanish starting in high school, then a few years later I studied French starting from scratch in an immersive program. During that period, every time I learned a word in French, I could feel myself losing the corresponding word in Spanish. It was frustrating. Eventually, I picked up Spanish again (I’m still much better at Spanish than French) and it all evened out again. But I can imagine trying to learn Chinese after Japanese would mess with your Japanese, at least for a while.

1 Like

You can practice with me anytime No, seriously it would be nice

Yes, just for a while, but there’s a threshold right? you must keep pushing forward

1 Like

I’d prefer to read a bunch and create an Anki deck for any vocab/kanji that I have trouble with. That said, I’m not even halfway there yet.

I’m planning on doing that too. Maybe not with Anki but with memrise, quizlet, kitsune etc. Knowing 6000 words is awesome but there’s always going to be new things to learn after WK. :slight_smile: I’ll include the ones from WK that gave me trouble the most and also start building my decs by adding vocab from the things I read. I’m really looking forward to that actually.

I was seriously considering starting over, or at least resurrecting the kanji in vocabulary form, but @koichi says no, so…

(saved)

5 Likes

I started over on a new account (this one) while resetting my old 60 account back to 45 to rereview the last 500 or so kanji, since I started using the review reorder add on at level 46 and felt that ultimately resulted in poor retention. Plus it was hard to dig out from 2000 reviews by the time I hit 60. I don’t mind going through everything again, since I’m in the middle of Japanese classes and it lets me review the things I didn’t really “get” when I first started WK, like the transitive/intransitive stuff. Also allows me to focus more on learning more toward production when paired with KW (which I also didn’t discover until, like, level 50) which is helpful toward the speaking and listening comprehension portion of my classes.

3 Likes

Check this out if you want to suffer learn how to draw kanji.

2 Likes

Same here. I don’t think re-doing WK quite counts as a punishment. It’s sort of fun, and I think I’ll miss it a bit once I’m finished. But as far as the time commitment, I think there are better ways to advance one’s Japanese than re-doing WK. I’d think at that point, spending the time you’d be doing WK by reading NHK News, Japanese Amazon reviews, light novels, etc. would reinforce the WK kanji, introduce new vocabulary using those same kanji (more reinforcement), introduce and reinforce grammar constructs, idioms, etc.

2 Likes

I only just passed level 30 but I’m definitely going to miss it too. It is fun. :slight_smile:

Tell me about it. I’ve been worshipping the Crabigator for years now without ever missing a single day. So, yeah, I’ll miss it. After taking the last lesson, it will be interesting to see the workload slowly get less and less…until that final heat death where the last item is burned in a singularity.

There’s always Anki decks to conquer. And I’m just about getting to the level where I can read light novels without getting too tired after 5 or 6 pages. I’m looking forward to the point where I hit “critical mass” and am able to start reading and reading light novels and essays at a more substantial volume and really start solidifying the basic and intermediate grammar and the ‘feel’ of Japanese prose.

2 Likes

Mind officially blown.

But is it really that surprising? There are thousands of kanji and our brain can’t retain every single bit of information, especially those that are not frequently used (in this case how to write rare kanji).

4 Likes

I sometimes consider to start all over again when I finally burn all the items but I’d rather review specific levels (or even all levels) using the White Rabbit Press Kanji Flashcards which I have arranged according to the WK level order.

2 Likes

It has been about two and a half months since restarting so I will post an update in case anyone is interested.

Leveling up has been very fast, about 7 days per level. Almost every vocab I have come across so far I remembered from learning it the first time, but there were a few I had completely forgotten. I’m using WaniKani more for vocab it seems like at this point. I learned a lot of vocab on WaniKani and forgot it because I was also just starting out in Japanese but now I’m in between N3 and N2 and able to hold a conversation; so being exposed to much vocab is actually a really great thing.

If anyone else is considering restarting from 60 and has the time to do it I recommend it, but I am also not to the 死 or 地獄 levels yet so it may change.

5 Likes

How is it going so far?
I was kind of considering this as well for when I finished Wanikani, but am still having doubts. I saw the great Koichi said that reading might be better, but I’m curious how it has been for you now that you have almost conquered 死.

3 Likes

Actually it’s 09

It has been really good, I am able to level up quickly and have not been swamped with reviews. I set a routine where I do 20 lessons a day in groups of 5 in the morning and this has kept most review sessions under 20 and I can do them on my phone quickly when they come up. I’m more than halfway there now (level 34) so I should finish around August. I found I can more easily recognize kanji by their 音読み alone when talking with people and they use words I do not know.

5 Likes

Today I reached level 60, it was not as satisfying as the first time or even reaching level 50 back when that was the end, but it was a good year. I really enjoy WaniKani and am really thankful I found it to help with my Japanese learning.

10 Likes

Congratulations!

Now,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.