Reading Vol. 15・ゆるキャン△・ Laid-Back Camp 🏕 (Beginner Book Club)

Basically the only thing you have to do in Japanese is find the book and put the book in the cart (green button that says カートに入れる). Then go to the cart (カート, shopping cart-shaped button toward the top right) - once you go into the cart, there a button at the top right for language, so you can switch the checkout/payment screens to English. If you don’t have an account already, the account creation/sign-in pages can be switched to English too, it seems.
In terms of finding the book to read (once you’ve bought it), you just have to click the gear button (マイページ) at the top right (then you can switch to English again and go to My Library → find book and hit この本を読む).

I think I’m actually going to try e-reading for this one too :o
Because the thought of adding another physical book to my already-overflowing bookshelf of unread Japanese (and English) books is giving me weird anxiety ahaha I’m never going to finish all of these ><

13 Likes

I happen to read this series at the moment and it’s so soothing and nice. Can definitely recommend! :+1:

7 Likes

A heads up for anyone interested in reading ゆるキャン△ on the kindle. The first three volumes of the kindle version are currently 47% off (¥330) on Amazon right now.

6 Likes

Does anyone know what bookstore you’d find ゆるキャン△ in Japan? I’m in Osaka at the moment.

All of them? :slightly_smiling_face:

Someone’s bound to suggest Book Off at some point. It’s published in Houbunsha’s Manga Time Kirara Forward, which is a seinen manga, so don’t try to find it in the shonen section. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, since when have you been in Japan? Send us photos. :grinning:

7 Likes

I noticed that some of the stores that sell manga tend to stock mainly recent releases, but I’ll go for a browse today if I get time.

Since you asked, a few photos are here

2 Likes

Went to Book Off. No luck there although all the manga tended to be either 100 yen or “reduced” and in not much of an order so I spent a while there and because everything was so cheap it was tempting to buy a lot (which I did but at 100 yen why not?)

So still looking for ゆるキャン though.

6 Likes

Kinokuniya is probably a more reliable if more expensive option…

2 Likes

I bought mine at Kinokuniya. Here in Sydney, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In that case, I highly recommend @Naphthalene’s breakdown on the actual order the manga have ^^ and how to find them in Bookoff:

7 Likes

The Book Off I went to didn’t have any labels to distinguish which section you were looking at other than “100円” and "レディウス”.
Kinokuniya on the other hand had the 青年 section clearly labeled with the publisher. Found ゆるキャン easily there.

4 Likes

The tent symbol looks like the building from the end of Midsommar

You mean レディース? :stuck_out_tongue: that’s the woman equivalent of 青年. It would be very strange for a bookoff to not have 少年 and 青年 sections. They can be hard to find, though. When trying to find flying witch, I had to ask where the 少年 section was, cause I couldn’t find it. Turns out it was on a different floor.
When you can’t find, the best option is always to ask.

3 Likes

Well I browsed the title of every manga I could see there and couldn’t find ゆるキャン anyway. I didn’t see any Aria there either (not that I need it). Maybe it was just the branch I went to?

Thank you so much to whoever tidied up the formatting in the vocab sheets and started to add page numbers, extra notes, etc.

3 Likes

Aye, same here - it turned out to be on a different floor. Though in my case, I asked where I could find Attack on Titan, because it’s published in the same magazine. :slightly_smiling_face:

What if you don’t know what magazine anything is in? :upside_down_face:

When I was at Book Off I asked if they had any Manga Time Kirara, but they didn’t. Apparently the U.S. Book Off is too good for that.

Wikipedia.

During my trip in 2017, I checked every convenience store I passed for any of the Manga Time spinoffs, but never spotted a single one until I visited the Shosen Book Tower in Akihabara on my last day…

I guess Manga Time Kirara is kind of niche…

Well, if you are on the wrong floor, it’s not going to help (speaking from experience). :sweat_smile:
Do you remember in which book off you were? (ie location)

2 Likes