Starting 25th April: ゆるキャン△・ Laid-Back Camp 🏕 (Beginner Book Club)

Welcome to ゆるキャン :camping:

We’re reading this as the Beginner Book Club!

Laid-Back Camp

If you want to take part… just buy the book and join in the discussion when we start on the 25th of April! There’s a membership poll further down.

Not sure if this is for you? Check out the sample pages in the Nomination Post - remember that your fellow book club members and the vocab sheet will be here to help you out though :wink:

Buy the Book

If you haven’t used Amazon JP before, note that you will need a separate account.
CDJapan has (slow) economy shipping options available so is usually cheaper.

Physical | CDJapan | Amazon JP

eBook | BookWalker | Kobo | Kindle

Discussion Threads

Coming 25th April!

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Week 1 April 25th 1 - ふじさんとカップラーメン 3 - 18 16
Week 2 May 2nd 1 - ふじさんとカップラーメン 19 - 35 17
Week 3 May 9th 2 - 野クルへようこそ 37 - 61 25
Week 4 May 16th 3 - ふもとのソロキャンガール 63 - 87 25
Week 5 May 23rd 4 - 富士山と鍋キャンプ 89 - 113 25
Week 6 May 30th 5 - 道具を揃える所からがキャンプです 115 - 139 25
Week 7 June 6th 6 - 冬キャンと山カフェ 141 - 165 25

We will read the 番外編, which is just 9 pages, in the ‘rest week’ before the next pick (pages 167 - 175).

Vocabulary List

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Members

Are you planning to read ゆるキャン△ with us?

• Yes :camping:
  • Nope

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion, please select ‘yes’!

21 Likes

I’ll try my best to follow along! :blush:

4 Likes

It annoys me greatly that the camping emoji sits so low on the line :thinking:

Also I think my brain is struggling to compute that we’re actually reading this :joy: flicking through to pick out the page numbers reminded me how much I enjoy it though :blush:

13 Likes

Honestly I just keep thinking it’s a watermelon slice :thinking:

7 Likes

:exploding_head:

4 Likes

Did it miss out in the past?

So. Many. Times. :laughing:

Well, that’s something of an exaggeration, but for a number of polls it has very consistently come second, or third when we picked two things. It even came joint second and lost in the runoff last time, and for a good stretch of the current poll it looked like it would come third again.

9 Likes

Ah, just look at that cover. It’s absurd how cute Nadeshiko is.

I tried to buy the Nadeshiko Nendoroid in Akihabara last October. Finally found it in the fourth shop I looked in, going for about twice the posted price, so I reluctantly passed. Managed to find it again in a shop here in Sydney, still going for twice the posted price…

It annoys me most that it’s clearly representing a プ, except it’s upside-down.

6 Likes

Quietly getting hyped by the campfire.

I know nothing of this manga, yet I’ve waited for it for so long.

14 Likes

I’m already finishing volume 2 but I’m looking forward to seeing everything that I got wrong while reading with you guys :laughing:

(the title looks like “ゆるきゃJA” for me)

Rin is best girl.

4 Likes

I voted yes but it’s more of a maybe. If I cant understand half of an absolute beginner book club I don’t know if I should even try beginner. The practice would still be good I suppose :memo:

4 Likes

Which of the AB picks did you have trouble with? A book pick? Because you might find that manga is a bit easier due to the shorter sentences and the accompanying art. Though this particular pick not having furigana could make it trickier than a manga like Yotsuba.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to reading it with everyone. :slight_smile: Haven’t participated in any book clubs here before, so it should be a fun experience.

6 Likes

I am currently in the absolute beginner’s book reading club for なぜ?どうして?科学を話 2nd grade

> opens up forums
> ゆるキャン△
> it’s comfy time

6 Likes

ᵘˡᵗᶦᵐᵃᵗᵉ ᶜᵒᵐᶠ

2 Likes

I just realized that from tomorrow I will stay in a hostel called ゆる宿 :eyes:

This can’t be a coincidence…

12 Likes

50% coin back on BookWalker! I bought わんわん first and with the coins I had back I got this one nearly for free!

6 Likes

Is there a way to turn bookwalker into English? I have only bought books on amazon.jp because I cannot understand any of that website

Hm I have not found anything so far, but didn’t somebody post a walkthrough at some point? (Or was that for some other bookseller?)