SRS apps and software

What are good SRS apps and software used by the community, appreciate the answers.

1 Like

I prefer Anki
@jprspereira prefers Kitsun

9 Likes

Apart from WK, I use Torii, FloFlo, and BunPro.

I used Memrise in the past as well. Some also use Quizlet.

3 Likes

I use anki for my custom vocab deck atm in combination with the yomichan browser addon.

1 Like

I enjoy using Kitsun

3 Likes

I also have a fondness for anki. I don’t like systems that make you type your translations, because my wording is always same-meaning-different-word. It eorks for me on WK and mostly on Bunpro, but there’s a reason my meaning accuracy is much lower than my reading accuracy.

(With anki, I’d always write the reading/kanji in a notebook and grade myself based on that. For grammar points I’d have to remember all main aspects in order for me to say I knew it. If you don’t have good self control for self-grading, though, anki is useless.)

2 Likes

Anki here too, I’m pretty picky and the DIY nature of it lets me tweak stuff to my liking.

Nowadays I prefer to test myself on listening comprehension since that’s what I find most difficult, so I’ve made cards with a spoken word on the front and a spoken sample sentence on the back.

I did like iknow.jp way back when I began though, but got tired of it.

1 Like

yessss I dooo

breaths in…

kitsun.io is the way to go in my opinion. It’s a product being built by a WK user, so a lot of the features are similar to WK’s user-experience, if not more developed.

Something to take into consideration is that Kitsun is subscription based and offers 14 days for free upon signing up. Nevertheless, it’s always something to take into consideration ^^

Kitsun’s thread on the forums (you can see some screenshots here): MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: N4 Grammar SRS Being Rolled Out] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

In terms of method of learning words, I advise two things:

• Do one of the mainstream decks (Katakana 4500 words, Core 10k or the Genki vocabulary deck - log in to access the links)
  • From words you see through exposure, only learn them after exposing yourself to them. Not before. For example, if you’re reading a book, you should go along with reading it and add the words to your SRS as you go. Pre studying vocab is less attractive and less efficient. With Kitsun, you can easily do the former, as Jisho is integrated on the website. You can make flashcards in seconds, as you can see from my screenshot:

As an example, this is how the Genki deck looks like (made by our lovely @hinekidori):

It’s also possible to create innovative decks on Kitsun. @acm2010 published this deck where you are asked two things: to identify the prefectures/regions of Japan in the map or to identify the marked prefecture/region by typing their name.

13 Likes

Is core10k good to do in addition to the wanikani vocab or is there a lot of overlap?

1 Like

A little over a third of the vocabulary in the 10k overlaps WaniKani. But they are tagged as such and can be hibernated.

5 Likes

Don’t forget to breathe out.

7 Likes

Btw Torii is free, looks like WK, has a 10k deck and JLPT/N decks,
and you can automatically exclude vocabulary taught on WK.

Kana-only vocabulary is also a great mode, because WK doesn’t have kana-only vocab.
It’s available on Windows, Mac and Android.

I use Torii, WK, Bunpro for grammar, some custom vocab in Anki,
and i’d use FloFlo if i had more time for reading right now.
(also, i’d use Kitsun if i had the time and not enough SRS already to justify the subscription)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.