(SPOILER EDITION) Descent of the Durtle into Madness

:thinking:

Swapped Letter Rules

These are fun to make and solve, which makes them perfect as a warm-up puzzle in your escape room.

You find a rule to follow and apply it to your text. For example:

• The first letter of each word in a sentence (TFLOEWIAS - as you can see you’ll need to do some wordsmithing).
  • Swap two letters in random words which get combined to make a phrase. Lexi and Pyko, from EscapeRoomReviews.org, designed an awesome one for a resume.
  • Follow a number sequence like 2, 4, 6, 8, which you can give to players as a clue. In this sentence, that would be OWECWIAC (again, you’ll need to do some wordsmithing)
  • Add extra letters into the sequence. Fyoyr yeyxyaymypylyey.

There are endless combinations which allow you to include several in the one escape room game. For example, use an easy version for one of the 1st puzzles and a harder, but similar, one towards the end. This gives players a sense of learning and progression which are major parts of what makes solving puzzles fun.

Yes, it‘s vol 1… At least, the isbn matches from what I saw.

Nice find. What made you think “nurikabe”? because it’s got 8 letters?

All 22 tofugu articles that are 8 letters long were linked in this post: (SPOILER EDITION) Descent of the Durtle into Madness - #145 by tombo

Any reason you like nurikabe other than that it is 8 letters long?

that was @TehGeer 's guess(?) in the post above about the Q’s.

Well, I’m in the library and sad to report that Japanese for Busy People does not give an immediate password. As you can see, the ISBN is correct:

This is page 23:

I get the following:
aosinw (starting after “Note”)
iuemtn (starting with “Numbers”)
ioHars (starting with “Note”)
This is lesson 23:

I get:
qctfua (starting with “A customer”)
uhyiso (starting with “Chan”)

5 Likes

Page 23:
Starting from Lesson: nuemur

Lesson 23:
Starting from Responding: oeogmi
Starting from Lesson, skip number: oeopma (wow, 4/6 happened to get same, lol!)
Starting from lesson, include number: seoett

Aye, that’s the same as the 2006 edition. Kinda expected that to happen…

I can’t quite believe that we have all the ressources, 3 passwords, all the hints and are still unable to find the last missing word…

1 Like

Quite. Now what do we do? Devote our attention back to the previous puzzle, see if that includes some vital piece of information? Keep playing around with the books to see if we can get something more sensible?

Ive been wondering, have people been trying the hiragana input equivalents of some of the japanese text we have been getting? Like a の would be a ‘k’ and so on. One of the articles was about IME setup iirc which sparked my suspicion. Sorry if this has already been done, but I havent fully read through the thread cuz lazy.

2 Likes

I‘m currently going again through the articles, particularly those with lots of text, starting from different places. Or maybe we have been looking at the wrong pages. Maybe it‘s not the first number that indicates the page number, but the biggest?

1 Like

I don‘t think it has been tried yet. At least, nobody said so.

What do you do when it’s kanji?

While I do see where you’re coming from here - the three books we’re most confident on each have the largest number as the page number - except that Japanese: The Spoken Language also matches that requirement, and it’s one of the one’s we’re least confident on.

1 Like

write the kana that the kanji is read as or maybe just try the first

So, Minna no Nihongo is the most problematic in this regard, because it’s entirely numbers and Japanese characters. Counting now (skipping all numbers and symbols), I’m getting 毎晩休し勉す… which is different to both what I had before and to what @sumsum worked out here… which is kinda curious.

Anyway, if we just type the first romaji letter for each character, we get “MBYSBS”.
If I try it kana keyboard style, it’s まばやしべす, so I’m getting… um… JF7D=R. I… don’t think that’s it.

Question is, what else can I try?

Counting furigana rather than kanji gives, uh…
いょんいいす (= IYNIIS, or E9YEER)

What next? Include the numbers in the count? Render them as furigana?

1 Like

I started trying romaji equivalent on the first non-obvious book. Didn’t help, but that’s not to say it wouldn’t work on a different book.

That’s a good thought - forgot about that option. I tried writing out Minna no Nihongo entirely in romaji and then counting it, and got EBAOMS. Tried omitting the initial 例 as well, and got AKBIBM, which is amusingly coincidental, if nothing else (AKB48 + IBM, you see).

Sorry for the late reply.

I’m thinking maybe “nurikabe” both because it has 8 letters and the following pattern which I’m starting to think isn’t correct:

The above cipher starts with two of the same characters: AA. So if I take the difference between “h” and “o” (assuming A = 1, B =2, etc) I get 7. So lets assume matching characters means +7.

Out of the 22 eight letter articles found, only “nurikabe” meets this pattern where the cipher starts with two of the same characters “00” and “n” + 7 = “u”.

But I looked into that article and couldn’t find anything, so I’m probably just overthinking it.

1 Like

I was thinking maybe the cipher isn’t linear, which is why the other double character’s don’t match the same pattern. Maybe the “key” to the cipher shifts with each subsequent character which is why I was only looking at double characters at the start of a cipher.

I’ll probably find out I’m way over thinking it once we discover the key :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like