(SPOILER EDITION) Descent of the Durtle into Madness

Adventures in Japanese has a preview on the author’s website, and the ISBN matches:

[page 33, characters 98 2 55 34 9 10]

Unless that one happens to include numbers, and it’s 666, the number of the Big Durt :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m getting “egoooott” :rofl:
But maybe there’s some other way to count it?

3 Likes

is there any chance one of the words could spell “dorayaki,” because that appears to be an anko-filled wagashi in the shape of a turtle.

3 Likes

How’d you find that? When I look, it skips straight from page 6 to page 327.

1 Like

JFE

Counting method used 4 33 8 13 434 4
No spaces or punctuation S i c t b S
No spaces punctuation or kanji S 1 c t n S
No spaces punctuation or numbers S u C i i S
No spaces punctuation numbers or section letters S b o n e S

sbones has promise. I can see, like, the previous word being “Koichi”, then it’d be “Koichi’s bones”.

4 Likes

I have a copy of that version of Japanese the Manga way (edit: ISBN-13 matches), here is page 43 in case you need it:

However, there is a preface that is numbered separately from the regular lesson page numbers. If you would include those other pages, this would be page 43:

3 Likes

Japanese for Busy People… an edition that’s missing the ISBN, so I’m not 100% sure it’s the right one. But at least it has english alphabet!

edit: deleted. The cover doesn’t match. This isn’t the kana edition.

2 Likes

Have you confirmed it’s the exact ISBN number?

edit: nevermind… you said it’s the exact version.
I should go to sleep now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

umbros/ombros depending whether you count the に

99 is the first character, not the line number.

But I still didn’t find anything (yet)

1 Like

A lot of people on eBay seem to have the right version of Japanese for Busy People.

I wonder if any of them would respond to a question:
“Hey, what’s the first line on page 23 of your edition?”

Ooh… maybe an Amazon owner would respond :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh I see. I‘ll also post the actual page 43 (including the preface in the page numbers count) in my original post then, just in case.

1 Like

My university bookshop doesn’t have quite as extensive a Japanese section as I remember - of these books, they’ve only got Genki and DBJG. And also the Japanese for Busy People workbook. The library only has ancient copies of the books, as I’d expected. Perhaps if we’re still going on the weekend, I can see what Kinokuniya has…

It’s not a word on its own, but it’s also not a random jumble of consonants, which is a good sign… maybe.

1 Like

I ended up with one that had the 5 vowels, ‘uieoa’

(That may not be the right order, but it certainly wasn’t aeiou or aiueo. I’m going from memory because I threw it out… but it was the most promising I’ve found in JtMW. Still doesn’t look meaningful, though.)

Anyway… off to sleep. Maybe I’ll have time again tomorrow night. Good luck, all!

2 Likes

That’s pretty unlikely to be an accident. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a clue, it could be a taunt, but exactly one of each vowel?

Maybe only three of the keywords are in here, and the rest are yet another clue where to get the fourth one. Too early to tell, I guess, before we’ve even found the right copies of all the books.

Looks like the only books on that list reviewed on Tofugu are Genki, DBJG, Japanese the Manga Way and Japanese From Zero!. The first two reviews linked also gained invisible comments.

I’m a HUGE collector of books, including so many of these ^^;

Which ones do we still need?
I think I have about half of them =P

1 Like

Japanese for Busy People (Nov 2011) - I have the 2006 edition. Want pictures anyway?

Japanese the Manga Way (Nov 2004) - Have the correct edition, but seem to have been covered already?

I also have:
Japanese from Zero (wrong edition…)
Genki 1(correct edition)
Genki 1 workbook (correct edition)
But they are covered already?

Counts. Jupp, had half, 5 out of 10 :rofl:
Not all of them correct edition though =P