'Speed Demon' or 'Slow and Steady'?

Which best describes your WaniKani review experience? Personally I prefer speed demon, but boy does it make me feel dumb when I inevitably get like a 65% success rate :scream:

2 Likes

Make a parallel Anki deck of EN->JP and review whenever you can. Itā€™s the secret to my 90-95% accuracy.

Damn, I envy Japan residents, who can do parallel reviewing via conversation whenever they canā€¦

Who said you canā€™t learn in-between SRS???

3 Likes

looks at multiple 200+ day level upsā€¦ Iā€™d say I fall squarely into the speed demon categoryā€¦totally

6 Likes

Slow and steady ftw! I was once level 30-something but got totally burned out for various reasons, took a break, came back to 2007 reviews, left and didnā€™t come back for 2+ years. Now, Iā€™m slowwwwly picking up where I left off with grammar (I completely crapped out on all studying) and relearning things half-remembered from my last time going through WK.

2 Likes

You mean like Kaniwani?

1 Like

Definitely speed demon, though Iā€™m definitely was not at Leebo speeds. Maintained 8-9 day levels ups, except during my Japan trip, until Level 30ish, then maintained 7 day levels. I had a few 5 day levels during the later levels, but went back to 7 days.

I didnā€™t do any extra reviews like polv, maintained a 90-95% accuracy rate (although Iā€™m failing about half of my burns). I also basically neglected grammar and everything else for about a year, so thereā€™s thatā€¦

1 Like

Definitely speed demonā€¦

If I make too many mistakes in a row, I slow down a little but eventually go back to the demonic speed. Like a car slowing down for a moment for the speed bump.

unnamed (35)

5 Likes

Speed demon now and forever.

1 Like

Depends. When Iā€™m working with a bunch of items critical to leveling, I take ages - just to minimize the chances of messing them up. The rest of the time, I try to increase my speed as much as I can.

I used to take everything slow, but then I discovered this thread from ages ago: https://community.wanikani.com/t/reminder-you-need-to-get-faster/1872

ā€¦ where Koichi gives a few tips on getting faster. In particular this bit resonated with me:

So I save time by going faster despite sacrificing some accuracy, which these days is usually anywhere between 65 and 90%, and most of those errors seem to be silly typos or pesky rendaku/exceptional readings, which seems reasonable to me.

The cool thing is that I am noticing an improvement in being able to quickly tell similar-kanji apart. By going fast and having a ton of possible answers up in the air at once, if I mess those similar items up, they usually end up going back to Apprentice and clustering together, and I then have to re-learn the characters and pay attention to how they differ from each other.

12 Likes

Unfortunately, life has recently caused me to slow down slightly (two recent levels have been 9 days x.x), but Iā€™m definitely a speed demon. I practically donā€™t stop typing during reviews, and I want to hurt myself every-time I accept a typo because I skip to the next word before I can stop and hit ā€œignore.ā€ I rarely take more than 10 minutes to finish reviews, no matter how many are in them.

That being said, I refuse to wake up in the middle of the night to do reviews, so if life forces me into a late night review, I take the multi-hour penalty to my level time.

Taking my time going slow.
It would be nice to see a poll in the first post.

I try to go as fast as possible without special scheduling or, say, doing 3AM reviews to level up. That used to leave me at around 10-12 days but these last few levels (after a 2-year break) have been roughly 7 days each.

It feels nice, moving quickly. I consistently review over 90% and knock them out quickly, so this pace seems more than doable assuming I donā€™t burn out again.

Absolutely no motivation to be a speed demon. Always do reviews, but only slowly new material.
:turtle: :crab: :crocodile:

1 Like

Iā€™m a proper slowboi when it comes to adding new lessons, but I do my reviews blazingly fast. Just something about doing it quickly feels good to me.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been doing 7-day levels the whole way so far. Itā€™s actually super easy ever since I started using Kaniwani to drill EN ā†’ JP! There are some synonym issues occasionally but you can override ā€œincorrectā€ answers if you actually knew the word it was asking for.

The only thing I wish Iā€™d done differently was space the lessons out after knocking out the newest radicals/kanji. My Wednesdays and Thursdays had 80-90 reviews, then Fridays would have 250 reviewsā€¦

1 Like

Settled into slow and steady. Doing 15 lessons/day ~5 days a week. I try to hit reviews 3 times a day.

Hmmm, I was a speed demon, but then I hit a speed bump (more like a mountain bump). now Iā€™ve gone down to slow demon ish. So I take time to do new lessons as I write down a few notes from each vocab (do kanji and radicals as normal), but otherwise I do lessons as normal. Lets see whether this approach will work!

I was going slow and steady before, but Iā€™m trying to go faster now, since I really want to read the DanMachi books Iā€™ve bought! >_<

I started out going slow since I was really only doing one set of reviews a day because I didnā€™t want to overdo it, but after I saw how long it was going to take me to get to level 60 at that pace, I decided I needed to step up my game. I was level 8 at the end of November and made myself a goal to hit level 10 by the end of the year. At my current rate, Iā€™ve already hit level 11 with the possibility of hitting 12 before New Yearā€™s Eve so thatā€™s what I going to strive for.

1 Like

Hmmmā€¦ Iā€™m aware that 7 days to complete a level is pretty fast, but how many days is it considered slow?
The only goal that I have is doing each level under 10 days. Which has been going well.
If I push myself and try too hard to this too quickly Iā€™m definitely going to burn out at some point. Or at least having to do some breaks because Iā€™m too tiredā€¦ Which ends up taking the same time as If went slow and steady.
Apparently, my average time to Level-up is 8 days and 9 hours. Which sounds good to me. Though, thatā€™s not counting level 1 (111 days) and 3 (41 days). I still wasnā€™t sure about Wanikani and studying Japanese in general at that time.