🎙 📝 Speak/Write Every Day Challenge (Winter 2023) 🏂 ❄

:studio_microphone: :snowboarder: softlyraining’s snowy mountain of output :memo: :mountain_snow:

February 1st

I’m going to challenge myself to do more speaking practice this month, since I pretty much only wrote in January.

Recording for February 1st

I believe you can! This site has a negative usage as one of its examples. This site is fully in Japanese, but it also has a negative example sentence.

3 Likes

Home post

2月2日

Another day of grammar practice

ながら

• 毎日お菓子を口にしながらはたらきます。
  • 彼氏はときどきねながら話します。

し (Reasons)

• 彼氏は家事をできるし、何でも食べるので、彼氏と一緒にくらしたいとおもう。
  • 毎日 日本語で読むし、書くし、話すから 日本語を上手になるといい。
Replies

Sounds intense but fun! :sweat_smile: And those phrases are hilarious. Would you mind sending over the link if it’s online? No pressure though.

Thank you for the links you provided! Super helpful!

And your speaking practice is amazing by the way! Coming from someone who only ever speaks to their teacher. If anyone else, it’s never in full sentences. Just a word, or a phrase. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

2月2日

日記

昨日の運動のせいで、今日、たくさんの痛いがあった。
多分今日休むするべきだったけどまだビート・セイバーをしたかった。
痛いなのに、ビート・セイバは楽しかった。

前の同僚はうちの会社に面接した。
チームは「面接は良かった」と言ったけどまだ彼はデザイン・テストをしないといけない。
また一緒に働けたらいいね

Lots of aches and pains today because of yesterday’s exercise.
I probably should have rested today, but I still wanted to play Beat Saber.
Despite the pain, Beat Saber was fun.

My former colleague, interviewed for a job at our company.
The team said the interview was good, but he still has to do a design test.
Hopefully we can work together again.

Replies

I can’t find the same video today! I searched ”歩き 運動” on youtube and scrolled through a few pages and skimmed through a few of the videos until I found one that suited what I was looking for. I was looking for one of those “walk at home” type videos to do some light cardio. The one I ended up picking was actually much tougher than I intended, the bit that I skimmed through that looked like it was what I wanted was actually just the warm up :sweat_smile:

(Home Post)

3 Likes

:studio_microphone: :snowboarder: softlyraining’s snowy mountain of output :memo: :mountain_snow:

February 2nd

Recording for February 2nd

Replies

I’m sure you’re better than you think! We’re always our harshest critics. I’ve noticed from your writing that you’ve been improving, so just keep at it! :smile:

そのような経験はよく分かります。 :sweat_smile: 気をつけてくださいね!

3 Likes

Home post

2月3日

今日は節分だ。節分の時に日本の伝統がたくさんある。例えば、「鬼は外、福は内!」と言いながら 家の中豆まきを投げる。私には昼休みの時に恵方巻を買った。南東を向いて立ちながら 恵方巻を食べた。日本の伝統が面白いと思う。

Replies

Thanks for trying to find it again @lucylavelle . I’ll try to look it up too tomorrow. I’m so amazed at your will to exercise. I have such a hard time to get myself to do it. :sweat_smile: Maybe I just need to buy beat saber. Hahaha.

Thank you so much @softlyraining !! The affirmation means a lot!

1 Like

2月3日

日記

今日、先生とレッスンをした。
ネイティブリーについて話をした。
私に「読んだマンガの中で一番の高いレベルは何ですか」とか質問を聞いた。
先週末の姉と姪の来訪も話をした。

午後にオフィスに行かないといけなかった。
今年は本当に忙しくなるので、新人が必要がある。
だから候補を面接した。

I had a lesson with my teacher today.
We talked about Natively.
She asked me questions like ‘what is the highest level of manga you have read?’.
We also talked about my sister and niece’s visit last weekend.

I had to go to the office in the afternoon.
This year is going to be really busy so we need new people.
So I interviewed candidates.

Replies

Honestly, Beat Saber revolutionised exercise for me! I’ve never been sporty, or had any motivation to do exercise. But once I started played Beat Saber, I loved playing so much that I was playing for at least an hour most days! I ended up being pretty fit for a while! (…but then I started learning Japanese properly and that sucks up a LOT of time :grin:)

(Home Post)

2 Likes

February 3rd

Quickly recorded this before my class starts, so hopefully I wasn’t just mumbling incoherently. :sweat_smile: :crossed_fingers:

Recording for February 3rd

1 Like

Home post

2月4日

今日はなにも行かなかった。一日中アパートにいた。服をせんたくしたりアパートを掃除したりした。今日二つ求人応募の件をしたかったけど、結局できなかった。私は明日是非やる。

2 Likes

2月4日

日記

今日、日本語で会話のエクスチェンジにバーミンガムに行った。
私のグループにみんなは私より能力が高かったけど、みんなは親切だった。
だからそれでも楽しかった。
会話した話題は中国のスパイの風船、電車のストライクとラジオの仕組みだった。

その後で、夫と寿司屋に行った。
本当に美味しかった。
私はたくさんのいなりを食べで、夫はうなぎほっそまきとマグロ太巻きを選んだ。
ベジタリアンのセットも分けた。

I went to Birmingham today for a conversation exchange in Japanese.
Everyone in my group was more able than me, but everyone was nice.
So it was still fun.
The topics we talked about were the Chinese spy balloon, train strikes and how radios work.

Afterwards, I went to a sushi restaurant with my husband.
It was really good.
I ate a lot of inari and my husband chose the unagi hosomaki and tuna futomaki.
We also split a vegetarian set.

(Home Post)

1 Like

February 4th

Recording for February 4th

Home post

2月5日

今日先生とレッスンをした。日本語で話を練習した。

Practiced speaking and reviewed grammar points today!

2 Likes

2月5日

日記

先生とレッスンをした。
話すときに時々私はロボみたいな声があるので自然な会話を練習した。

今日、二冊のマンガを読み終わった。
最近、読書クラブに入るのが多すぎる。
だから、二つを完成しては安心だった。

ザ・ラスト・オブ・アスを見始めて、一話と二話を見た。
本当に楽しんだ。
数年前にザ・ラスト・オブ・アスのゲームをしたのでたくさんの見慣れた場面があった。

I had a lesson with my teacher.
We practised natural conversation because sometimes I sound like a robot when I speak.

I finished two manga today.
I’ve been in too many reading clubs lately.
So it was a relief to complete two.

I started watching The Last of Us and watched episodes one and two.
I really enjoyed it.
I played a game of The Last of Us a few years ago so there were a lot of familiar scenes.

(Home Post)

2 Likes

February 5th

Recording for February 5th

2 Likes

Home post

2月6日

彼氏と三年前に始めたゲームをした。わたしたち忙しくなったから、おわることができなかった。そのゲーム名前はスターデューバレーだ。にほんごでゲームをしたかったけど、まだにほんごが上手じゃない。来年までに日本語でゲームをしたらいいと思う。

Replies

Also just finished the third episode over the weekend! And I only realized you were talking about The Last of Us after clicking on the translation. :joy_cat: Ah, katakana will be the death of me…

I grew up with Digimon! I liked it more than Pokemon to be honest… :see_no_evil: I hope you like it too!

2 Likes

2月6日

日記

今朝、夫はガレージのドアを開けたら、知らない猫を出た。
彼は本当にびっくりした。
その猫は多分金曜日から封じ込めちゃった。
かわいそうだよね
幸いなことに調子は悪くなかったけどキャットフードをあげて、水もあげた。
しばらくに猫はフェンスを登って、帰った。
調子は大丈夫といいね

This morning, when my husband opened the garage door an unknown cat came out.
He was really surprised.
The cat has probably been trapped since Friday.
Poor thing.
Luckily he did not seem to be in a bad condition, but we gave him cat food and water.
After a while the cat climbed the fence and went home.
I hope he’s okay.

Replies

Same here! I really struggle to sound katakana words out, and work out what they say. But then when I look them up it suddenly seems really obvious. :sweat_smile:

(Home Post)

2 Likes

February 6th

Recording for February 6th

Replies

大好きです!私もまだ終わらせません。でも、古いコンピュータでしたので、ファイルが消されたかもしれません。 :smiling_face_with_tear:

I’ll let you know how my experience goes! I’m watching the 2020 reboot of Adventure, which I saw had mixed reviews. Still, it might be a decent entry point for me.

2 Likes

Home post

2月7日

A speaking day today in which my teacher just drilled me on what is written in MnN textbook as “noun modification by sentences”. It hurts my brain to be honest. Where in English you would always have the subject first and what describes it after, in Japanese you’d be describing something without even knowing what it is you’re describing? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Examples:

• person who lives in Japan = 日本に住んでいる人
  • place where I was born = 私が生まれた所
Replies

@softlyraining Awww… I’m so sorry about your game! :frowning: I hope you can get your computer fixed/retrieve your game OR you can always start fresh on a new console? It’s nice to also check out different types of farm and discover new ways to progress. :grin: I know we definitely made a bunch of mistakes on our first farm. We got to year 2 on a monster-infested farm but decided to start over this time on a river land farm.

2 Likes

2月7日

日記

金曜日に大事なミーティングがあるので準備になりたいよ。
今日、いつも通りに比べてミーティングが少なかったから、やっといくつかペーパーワークをできた。
今もっと準備したの感じがある。

夫は私のパソコンをアップグレードした。
新しいケースを買って、新しい電源回路とファンを入れた。
素晴らしい夫だよなぁ。

I have an important meeting on Friday and I want to be ready.
Today we had less meetings than usual, so I finally got some paperwork done.
I feel more prepared now.

My husband upgraded my computer.
He bought a new case and put in a new power circuit and fan.
He’s a wonderful husband, isn’t he?

(Home Post)

2 Likes

February 7th

Today was a struggle. I’m pretty tired, and it didn’t help that I left recording for the very end of my day. :disappointed_relieved:
Recording for February 7th

3 Likes

Home post

2月8日

今週は、夜に会議がたくさんある。一昨日参加した会議が二十二時に終わった。今晩参加した会議が二十時に終わった。そして、明日も二十一時まで会議を参加する。金曜日は早く来たらいい。

So that last sentence is supposed to be a literal translation of I wish Friday would come earlier/faster. But I probably butchered that. I’m sure I’ve been typing sentences that don’t make sense grammatically here all the time, but this one especially so. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes