🎙 📝 Speak/Write Every Day Challenge (Summer-to-Fall 2022) 🏖 🍂

There is only 1 more month in Summer, but I’ll join. Thanks OP very much for creating this thread.

八月
夏の9 22   23   24   25   26 ・ 27 :memo: 28 ・
夏の10 29 :memo: 30 ・ 31 :memo:
九月
夏の10 01 ・ 02 :memo: 03 ・ 04 :memo:
夏の11 05 :memo: 06 :memo: 07 :memo: 08 ・ 09 ・ 10 :memo: 11 ・
夏の12 12 :memo: 13 ・ 14 :memo: 15 ・ 16 ・ 17 ・ 18 ・
夏の13 19 :memo: 20 :memo: 21 ・ 22 :studio_microphone: 23 :studio_microphone: 24 :studio_microphone: 25 ・
秋の初 26 :studio_microphone: 27 :studio_microphone: 28 :studio_microphone: 29 :studio_microphone: 30 :studio_microphone: 01 :studio_microphone: 02 :studio_microphone:

I think the trick is consistency, and a calendar is good way to track. I think of doing once per week first (but I might do more on a good environment). Since I plan to be consistent and count, Days Completed would make a lot of sense now. As I might not qualify for doing everyday makes even more sense for keeping a calendar ticked.

• Less than everyday? That would be twice a week (e.g. 1/weekday, 1/weekend), or once per week.
  • More than everyday, like 1 in the morning, 1 in the evening?
  • It’s about being all along with the marathon, rather than keeping up with others.

Another thing is about the form. I think first about writing and being expressive, but being in a communication is probably different. What about editing old writings?

When I feel ready, LangCorrect seems like a nice place. Historically, I used Lang-8, then I dropped out after a while.

8 Likes

I’ve only ever used Lang-8, so I’m curious how LangCorrect fairs in comparison. Not sure if you’ve used Lang-8 previously or not pocketcat, and if you end up switching over to LangCorrect, polv, I’d love to hear your thoughts on both sites.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve used lang8, but their site is basically dead now (you can’t sign up) so LangCorrect seems to be the new thing. It works pretty well, the only downside so far for me is that because people earn their “ratio” by correcting other people’s posts (this is to encourage people to not be greedy and take without giving) I sometimes get multiple corrections on one post when I’d honestly be happy with just one. There’s also somewhat of a lack of English entries on some days so keeping my own ratio up can be trying when I’m getting corrected by multiple people on one entry.

That said, the interface is nice and the creator is very open on the forums about what features are under development and so on.

2 Likes

I barely touched LangCorrect, but they have Discord, and I asked them to remove English from my native languages. Also, no-one ever write in my native language, so I can’t correct anyone. My native language isn’t a popular one (and that isn’t English)…

At least, the prompt is nice, and Discord is replied relatively quickly.

Lang-8 is long ago, and I can’t recall having any prompt. I wrote my journal / diary, there.

2 Likes

i’ll be joining this ^^

i’ve had very little practice with production, whether written or spoken, and feel like i really should work on that a bit. and i’ve been eyeing the Japanese Sentence a Day challenge. so here’s a post to keep me accountable.

as i feel quite a bit of anxiety about actually using all the japanese i’ve learned, my aim will be to just write something every day. even just a sentence or two will be enough, in an attempt to break through this “i can’t do this” barrier.

九月
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
8 Likes

I’m currently revisiting N5 grammar after taking a break for a month or so. My goal is to either write or say a few sentences every day to really get comfortable with using the grammar points again. Let’s see how it goes.

九月
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

Please feel free to correct errors and share your knowledge and advice with me. :slight_smile:

九月一日【自己紹介】Self-introduction

without furigana

はじめまして。マリーです。子供の時、オーストリアに住んでいましたが、今ドイツに住んでいます。二十七歳で、会社員です。一年間半ぐらい日本語を勉強していましたが、まだ日本語が上手じゃないです。難しいと思いますから。暇の時、よくゲームをしたり、映画を見たり、友達に会いに行ったりします。このチャレンジはとても楽しいと思います。みんなさん、頑張って。よろしくお願いします。

with furigana

はじめまして。マリーです。子供こどもとき、オーストリアにんでいましたが、いまドイツにんでいます。二十七にじゅうななさいで、会社員かいしゃいんです。一年間半いちねんかんはんぐらい日本語にほんご勉強べんきょうしていましたが、まだ日本語にほんご上手じょうずじゃないです。むずかしいとおもいますから。ひまとき、よくゲームをしたり、映画えいがたり、友達ともだちいにったりします。このチャレンジはとてもたのしいとおもいます。みんなさん、頑張がんばって。よろしくおねがいします。

九月二日【私の金曜日】Informal Speech
九月三日【マックで】
九月四日【好きな音楽】Informal Speech
九月五日【クレタ島の旅行】
九月六日【日本語の勉強のモチベーション】
九月七日【面白い思い出】Informal Speech
九月八日【子供の時】
九月九日【一番好きな食べ物】
九月十日【来週の週末と再来週の】
九月十一日【9・11テロ事件】
九月十二日【日記】Informal Speech
九月十三日【クリスマス】
九月十四日【日本に行きたいです】
九月十五日【レコード】
九月十六日【日記】
九月十七日【テレビゲーム】Informal Speech
九月十八日【夢】
九月十九日【電子機器】
九月二十日【日本語能力試験】
九月二十一日【悪い癖】
九月二十二日【天気】
九月二十三日【借りたまま返してない物の話】
九月二十四日【日記】Informal Speech
九月二十五日【楽器】
九月二十六日【エスケープルーム】
九月二十七日【美術館】
九月二十八日【ワニカニの統計】
九月二十九日【植物】
九月三十日【チャレンジ】Informal Speech

9 Likes

I’ve forgotten where I came across this site, but I think it’ll be nice for those looking for prompts to help with writing and/or speaking.

It’s a random prompt generator styled after a gacha machine. There are multiple categories so you can select a particular topic, or leave it up to chance. Categories include: Random, Love, Funny, Troubles, Serious, and Work. You can view prompts in Japanese or English versions of the site.

What’s more, they have generators for spoken lines of dialogue. You can select from a male- or female-spoken pool. I do wish it gave citations from where the lines are from though. This subset is only visible in the Japanese version.

8 Likes

What an excellent find! I quoted your post up in the main post for the thread so it doesn’t get lost in the eventual shuffle. Thanks for sharing! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d love to join as well! I put off Japanese practice for a couple months, and I’ve been trying look for ways to get back into it!

九月
01⚡️ 02⚡️ 03⚡️ 04
05⚡️ 06 07⚡️ 08 09⚡️ 10 11⚡️
12 13⚡️ 14⚡️ 15⚡️ 16⚡️ 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
10 Likes

:studio_microphone: :desert_island: softlyraining’s radio show :maple_leaf: :microphone:

Recording for Day 1

わあ〜、緊張しちゃった!It’s been so long since I’ve spoken for even that long in Japanese, and I didn’t even make it to 2 minutes. :cold_sweat: I am under a bit of a time crunch with my mother visiting, so that didn’t help. Then again, this was the reason I wanted to start this challenge in the first place. Looking forward to coming back to this recording to see how much I improved! :muscle: :triumph:

Replies

@pyr_3 自己紹介を読みました!オーストラリア出身ですかね。どのくらいそこに住んでいましたか。どうしてドイツに引っ越しましたか。すごく面白いです!

8 Likes

えっ!@softlyraining さんの声はとてもかわいいですよ!カリフォルニアに住んでいるのが好きですか。今、暑い天気ですか。そこにきれいなビーチがありますか。

:austria: オーストリアですよ。ヨーロッパの国ですね。
:australia: オーストラリアじゃないです。
ドイツで生まれました。子供の時、家族とオーストリアに行きました。

十五年間オーストリアに住んでいました。大学の学生の時、ドイツに帰りました。

7 Likes

September 1st!
While I’m planning to count my daily diary as my writing most days - I’m going to copy @pyr_3 and do a 自己紹介 for day one! ナイスアイデアですね。

自己紹介

はじめまして、ルーシーと言います。

イギリス人です。ウェールズに生まれましたけど今、イングランドに住んでいます。
夫と娘がいます。またヌードルという猫がいます。

趣味は読書したり、日本語を勉強したり、ゲームをしたりします。
ゲームは趣味ですが、ゲームの産業に働きますので仕事でもあります。
テスターでしたけど一年前、プロデューサーになりました。
面白いけどかなりストレスしますよ。

よろしくお願いします。

@softlyraining さん、 発音が得意ですね!

(Home Post)

7 Likes
More replies

@pyr_3 あー、オーストリアです!!!間違えてすみません。:bowing_woman: 慎重に読まなかったんです。オーストリアとドイツは近いですね。家族はまだドイツにいますか。なぜドイツの大学に入学しましたか。

カリフォルニアは今日本当に暑いですよ!今は摂氏36度です。海は摂氏19度でいい天気ですね。:blush:

@lucylavelle アバターはヌードルでしょう?かわいいですね! :smile_cat: 仕事は面白そうです!どんなゲームをプロデュースしていますか。

マリーとルーシー、私の声と発音をほめてありがとうございます! :grin:

3 Likes

I don’t really feel comfortable sharing my writing quite yet, but I did do writing practice today. It was more or less rambling to myself, in Japanese, about what topics I should write about. Very inspiring :joy: I wasn’t really feeling like doing it at all, though, but felt I must because how could I miss the first day of the challenge? :fearful: Hopefully in coming days I’m slightly more productive :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Sometimes it’s all about getting over that first hurdle!

3 Likes

ヤッホー皆んな!

I’m actually out of town for the first several days, so I won’t be able to upload recordings, but I’ll do my best to write and record every day to upload later!

I did write and record a 日記 for today. I like the idea of 自己紹介. I’ll try to do one for tomorrow!

9月1日

日々の日記が始まりました!

今週末は母の結婚式です。母の町を訪ねています。

今朝、Lyftで空港に行きました。運転者の名前は初めてでした。「ahuizotl」って読める。どうか発音をするかなぁ。

空港に人がいっぱいいるのに他の人から遠くにテーブルを見つけて昼ごはんを食べられました。ところで私ばかりがマスクしてるみたいでした。めちゃ気にしていました。

飛行機の便の後で母と伯母さんに会って、ホテルでチェックインをして荷物から物を出しおきました。そして、レストランで晩ご飯を食べました。美味しいピザを食べた。

home

7 Likes

夏の毎日言う・書く挑戦 – 9月2日 (金) (夏の第10週間目)

挑戦の初日ですね。ですか、私なら、時間差がある。いつもより、私の日記は他人より一日前です。すなわち、私について、遅刻しまった。

最近、私は気づいた。書くとこは便利なら、短いですが、時々書けます。とこは、スマホでGoogle DriveのGoogle Docsとか、Google Keepとか、OneNoteとか。

読むことについても、私自身の問題がある。速さと見避けるの。コミュになったら、多分早く読むになるかも。

6 Likes
九月二日【私の金曜日】Informal Speech

I’m not good at using informal speech and I’m really not sure if I’ve used it correctly. I should practice it more this month.

今日、7時半ぐらい起きて、朝ご飯を食べた。それから、8時間働いていた。 音楽も聞いた。昼ご飯はピザだった。とても美味しかった。今、6時だ。もうジョギングをして、シャワーを浴びた。まだ晩ご飯を食べていない。明日、コンサートを見に行く。楽しみにしている。

@softlyraining

家族はオーストリアにいます。

What’s the difference between なぜ and どうして? I’ve read that なぜ explicitly asks for a reason while どうして can have the same meaning as なぜ but can also mean something like “how/which way”. Would your sentence have a slightly different meaning if you had used どうして instead?

home

6 Likes

:studio_microphone: :desert_island: softlyraining’s radio show :maple_leaf: :microphone:

Recording for Day 2

Today was a LOT of starting and stopping. My mother then came into the room, so I had to pause my recording because I didn’t want her to know what I was doing and ask questions. :cold_sweat:

Replies

@potatonaught 結婚式?!素敵ですね!お母さん、おめでとうございます!結婚式はいつですか。

@polv すごく便利ですね。私もGoogle Keepを使っています。 :smile:

@pyr_3 おじさんかおばさんさえドイツにいませんか。 :astonished: でも、Google Mapsで見たら果たして遠くないです。

From what I can tell after doing a little searching, なぜ pretty much only ever means why and is used to ask for a reason, while どうして can also be asking about the method. There’s also the possibility that なぜ is a little more formal. There’s also the idea that どうして has more emotion behind it than なぜ (like Why would you say that? :cry: versus What makes you say that? :thinking:) I don’t really think there’s too much difference if I used どうして over なぜ, though, since I was just looking for the reason behind you studying in Germany over Austria. Can’t say there’s any deep emotion attached to it, though. :grin:

Link to one explanation
Link to an explanation about just each word’s “why” meaning
Link to explanation regarding emotional difference

7 Likes

September 2nd!

Today I had a call with one of my tutors so lots of speaking practise!

日記

Here’s a little excerpt from todays diary!

今日、仕事は忙しかったけど大丈夫だった。
いくつかミーティングがあった。
ギルド・ウォーズはほとんど終えった。

Replies

@softlyraining さん、そうです。アバターはヌードルです。 :blush:
今、うちの会社はKnighthoodというRPGのゲームを作っています。
お母さんの訪問を楽しんだといいです。 :slight_smile:

@potatonaught さん - お母さん、おめでとうございます。:slight_smile:

(Home Post)

7 Likes