Spaced repitition review time could be adjusted (not turned off) - title correction for topic clarity

Not a fan of the spaced repetition being enforced, I prefer being able to start and re-learn as soon as possible.

Also, as a Kanji learner from text books (not a true beginner), there are some conflicts with remembering mnemonics, based on ‘flash format’ on wanikani to doing, writing and absorbing stroke order and pattern based radicals, though I don’t mean I have learnt this exclusively.

It would be nice to have some flexibility in the settings or to tailor it around current/started sessions…

I can see where the memorization builds to (leads to), so there are pluses to where it will be from an individual’s point of view.

It’s one of the strangest thing I’ve heard, sir.You visited the site, that uses SRS as the basis for making people learn and making money, and yet you don’t want to learn as such…OK, seriously saying, it’s no merit of using SRS however you like, because the SRS itself implies that one must continously repeat what he have learned, otherwise everything will be forgotten.I can validate this statement myself.Perhaps, you may have gotten the wrong idea about being able to learn otherwise, because you apply SRS in your everyday learning unconciouslly, albeit not so effective.I mean, when you learn new word, then you forget it, then you see it => ‘what the heck?’ => looks for the translation => oh, that what it is! => repeat X times until you get used to the word.That’s how I’ve learned english and it’s frustrating, becuase our educational system teaches it since 5-th grade till up 11-th.And I can say it’s flawed, becuase if I haven’t studied myself, I would of know english so-so.SRS allows you to lower the times you use for memorization.I don’t quite understand your desire to re-learn everything when time comes when you can learn one time and not bother yourself with it anymore.Also, the kanji you learn here, on wanikani, are the ones you’ll see most often when reading.I’ve just recently realized it myself.
Honestly, it’s a hard to do SRS each day, but after some time, when you’ll realise your progress and make it a habit, it becomes quite easy, although still time-consuming.

23 Likes

Do…do you know what this website is about? If you don’t want to use SRS, this website is literally the worst place you could use to learn kanjis.

19 Likes

“Learn 2000 kanji in less than a month”

17 Likes

this is a srs site my guy you can’t turn off the srs

12 Likes

you’re level one, give it a chance. if you know things from learning via a textbook already-- great! that means you’ll burn those items in no time! i think if you stick with it, in time you’ll find you’re able to recall kanji much more easily than if you use any other method outside SRS. :relaxed:

8 Likes

No.

9 Likes

ditto what you said! I learned Japanese in college so the first few levels were a bit of a drag to get through, but once I got to level 5 everything changed! I was learning new things and I found that I was able to guess the meaning and reading of unfamiliar kanji combinations ! this site is a great tool you just have to stick with it and be patient :smiley:

8 Likes

It would be good in my opinion to be able to mark words/kanji that you already know. This might cause difficulties with the radicals though.

I would try doing the first 3 free levels and then see how you like it. The pace starts slow as you have only new items and nothing to review, but in a few levels it will be more than you can handle and you’ll have to manage how many new lessons you do.

4 Likes

For those who gave constructive criticism, I may stick at it. Thanks@goldenleafhollow, @Akurebabe & @ whatupshimasu.

To the others, I never said I was expecting to learn 2000+ kanji in a short time. I was talking about the conflict of what was already learned from traditional study to online study. Yes, I understood and knew it was SRS based. So, my original post was partly in frustration of waiting then reviewing.

I should have made myself clearer, not to turn off completely, but adjustment of the settings e.g. 2hrs review before the next one could be shorter.

1 Like

atm there is no way to change the review intervals, but you can use the self study script, to study items a little more.

also you can (once you subscribe[if you like it later]) look ahead, and study ahead if you like.

5 Likes

but that’s not how srs works :pensive: after the free levels the intervals are 4 hrs, 8 hrs, 1 day, 2 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, and 4 months. trust me once you have like 300 items per day you probably won’t feel the need to review faster.

6 Likes

I thought for the first 2 levels, some of the intervals were less.

1 Like

yeah they are, i meant after the first two levels.

3 Likes

Afaik, they have made all materials free to look up, even for none-subscribers.

2 Likes

Spoilers, you’re gonna envy yourself today months later when you’re drowning in reviews. :wink: I had to slow down from 10-15 days per level, which is already slow to most people here, to 20-30 days per level because I was so overwhelmed.

Take advantage of your free time and look into other aspects to study: grammar, vocab, listening, speaking, culture, reading, etc. I regret not starting sooner there, so I highly recommend it. Lots of great resources can be found here:

Good luck on your journey! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@conan

‘Take advantage of your free time and look into other aspects to study: grammar, vocab, listening, speaking, culture, reading, etc’

I do actually do this already; between wanikani and another site :+1. Wanikani isn’t my main resource for memorization, an excellent mobile app and traditional written text practice + language audio (in context with sentences). Wanikani is ‘further’ supplemental support.

1 Like

Oh awesome! Good for you :slight_smile: If you decide to stick with it, and since it’s free, why not?, through to level three, I think it’ll give you a good sense of if this will fit you or not. For some people, this system doesn’t work for them, for others it does, and some are in between. Hopefully you can find studying methods that work for you ^^

1 Like

'Good luck on your journey! ’

You must be quite far on your journey :slight_smile:

Hm, perhaps, but still have a long ways to go :slight_smile: And really, even with native languages, the journey never ends :wink: